LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

How do you approach training while eating low carb? Do I only take in carbs when doing workouts longer than 2 hours and high intensity workouts. If so, what carbs should one take.

Hmmm, each person is different and you're going to have to experiment. As Dean says, a little reading might help ... "Art and Science of low carb performance" probably a good place to start.

Having said that, what works for me is:

1. training at low/aerobic/<65% max heart rate threshold can be done on water only, regardless of time (at low intensity you are almost exclusively burning fat, so no dietary fuel needed).

2. high intensity intervals / race for more than 2hrs I add some carbs in the form of cashews or potatoes or Ucan. Do a search on this thread for info from Davetapson on glut4 receptors and why carbs during high intensity exercise are not a issue.

Apart from Ucan (super starch) I prefer real food to gels/powders/etc.

The paper from Noakes, et al (4 or 5 posts back) seems to indicate that it may be possible for some folk to become so well adapted that they can race without any carbs. AFAIK, the only way to test this is with a RER/RQ test.

"How long does it take to feel better during training after starting LCHF?"

For me about 2 months till my endurance kicked in and around 5-6 months before sprinting/power was back to normal .... again, each person will be different. If the race is only August, I'd think you have ore than enough time.

Edited by DaleE

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed Carte Blanche last night - does anyone know if the will post the clip to their website? It's not there yet.

Hi Guys

Another question regarding LCHF. I see USN Diet Fuel Ultralean have 9.8g carbs per serving with 3g dietary fibre and 1.5g novel fibre whatever that may be. Lets say this brings the net carbs to 6.8g per serving. Would this be a convenient option as a meal when at work during the day, say one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Thanks

Hi Guys

Another question regarding LCHF. I see USN Diet Fuel Ultralean have 9.8g carbs per serving with 3g dietary fibre and 1.5g novel fibre whatever that may be. Lets say this brings the net carbs to 6.8g per serving. Would this be a convenient option as a meal when at work during the day, say one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Thanks

How big is a serving? And what is your LCHF goal? The problem with all the these "instant/ convenience" food is they contain a lot of other stuff that is bad for us.

But I suppose it is up to each person which "train of thought" they choose to apply. If it works for you and produces results then go ahead.

Hi Guys

Thanks

I would say NO. Eat proper food.

Link to 2 Part Series - High-fat, low-carb diets: good for you and your cycling?

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/08/high-fat-low-carb-diets-good-for-you-and-your-cycling/

(apologies if posted previously)

Summary for those not wanting to read it.

If you ride for fitness, commuting, enjoyment and a sense of personal achievement, then absolute top-end power probably isn’t that crucial to you. If that’s the case then the LCHF strategy may have benefits. There’s less risk of bonking on long rides, it’s a method of reducing body fat, and potentially leads to a reduced risk of chronic disease.

In 2012 Timothy Olsen broke the Western States 100-mile ultramarathon record. But even as the poster-boy for LCHF diets, Olsen himself conceded in an interview that he still eats extra carbs (mainly sweet potato) the night before a high intensity training session, and his blog account of the race suggests that he consumed at least 30-40 grams an hour of carbs during his record-breaking attempt.

Link to 2 Part Series - High-fat, low-carb diets: good for you and your cycling?

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/08/high-fat-low-carb-diets-good-for-you-and-your-cycling/

(apologies if posted previously)

Summary for those not wanting to read it.

If you ride for fitness, commuting, enjoyment and a sense of personal achievement, then absolute top-end power probably isn’t that crucial to you. If that’s the case then the LCHF strategy may have benefits. There’s less risk of bonking on long rides, it’s a method of reducing body fat, and potentially leads to a reduced risk of chronic disease.

In 2012 Timothy Olsen broke the Western States 100-mile ultramarathon record. But even as the poster-boy for LCHF diets, Olsen himself conceded in an interview that he still eats extra carbs (mainly sweet potato) the night before a high intensity training session, and his blog account of the race suggests that he consumed at least 30-40 grams an hour of carbs during his record-breaking attempt.

The guy who is the nutritionalist for 32Gi and some of their sponsored athletes ( incl last years Comrades winner) do LCHF and most things I read of late point to all of the advocates of this way of eating say that if you are doing an event then it is OK and even good to take in Carbs during the event. The sentiment seems to be listen to your body.

I've just climbed back on the LCHF bandwagon this morning although I have been relatively low carb prior to Sani2C but a bit off the rails (ok a lot) since then so I anticipate carb flu of note this week :(

For the record the only stats I have is that in the last year or so of being low Carb ( not always high high fat) most of the time I have stayed the same weight but have lost 6% body fat. Very importantly measure yourself before you start out - I have dropped a few clothes sizes.

Da Vinci I think the portion size is 55g of which 25g is protein, with the 9.8g carbs and 3g dietary fibre.

Da Vinci I think the portion size is 55g of which 25g is protein, with the 9.8g carbs and 3g dietary fibre.

Well that is almost 10% carbs and if you take Tim Noakes' approach you should try and limit your carbs per item to no more than 5%

You can factor it into you total carb count intake for the day if you have a total goal amount that you try and stick below, but I'm also with JCZA and say try and stick with real food. I don't imagine there is huge nutritional value in those shakes and the carbs are probably all derived from sugar.

One can always make homemade shakes at home and take to work and leave in the fridge. Alternatively boiled eggs, cheese, biltong all make great snacks and no one says one has to eat 3 meals a day....

Edited by Da Vinci

Noakes seems to think Pemmican is even better and easier to eat when exersizing. I've looked around the web a bit more now and it looks quite simple to make. I'm going to try do something tonight.

I buy suet and leaf fat from grass fed animals (that's seripously the only part of a grass fed or pasture reared anything that I can afford!). I then render my own tallow/lard. The scratchings ("kaiings" in Afrikaans} that remain is the most amazing snack. With salt and your own level of carbs in dates/raisins/cashews added it can fuel any endurance event. I've used it to achieve my own pb's (which unfortunately is nothing to write home about) in both the Transbaviaans and the DC last year.

I buy suet and leaf fat from grass fed animals (that's seripously the only part of a grass fed or pasture reared anything that I can afford!). I then render my own tallow/lard. The scratchings ("kaiings" in Afrikaans} that remain is the most amazing snack. With salt and your own level of carbs in dates/raisins/cashews added it can fuel any endurance event. I've used it to achieve my own pb's (which unfortunately is nothing to write home about) in both the Transbaviaans and the DC last year.

This is where u tell me u are from joburg but where do you find your grassfed suet?

Also how does one make kaaiings? I did render fat once but my kraaings weren't a success....

This is where u tell me u are from joburg but where do you find your grassfed suet?

Also how does one make kaaiings? I did render fat once but my kraaings weren't a success....

Remove all meat from the fat, this is important. Cut fat into dice sized cubes and render on low heat on stove top. Patience is the key as it is easy to burn the kaaings if the heat is to high. Drain the fat from the kaaings and pat dry with paper towel. Add salt to taste. Edited by Sniffie

@ Da Vinci. I am in the same boat as you are WRT going off the rails since Sani, but I am back on the straight and narrow since yesterday morning. According to the ketostix I am already back in ketosis this morning. The longer I have been on LCHF the easier it seems to turn my fat burning on after an "off the rails" episode. I don't even get "carb flu" symptoms any more. BTW coconut oil has been proved to assist the body to kickstart the fat burning and get you into ketosis quicker. It is sometimes used by doctors treating children with uncontrollable epilepsy to kickstart ketosis.

Edited by Sniffie

Remove all meat from the fat, this is important. Cut fat into dice sized cubes and render on low heat on stove top. Patience is the key as it is easy to burn the kaaings if the heat is to high. Drain the fat from the kaaings and pat dry with paper towel. Add salt to taste.

Grass fed beef fat I get from Ryan Boon meats in Paarl, but Franky fenner in Cape Town is also a good source.

The secret to good kaiings is to slowly boil the fat in water to cook it. As the water boils away it will start to fry. You'll hear it pop when the magic happens. This is when you have to be careful when you open the lid to stir things around - the fat pops and splatters all over. Stir often from this point on. Drain through some cheesecloth when done.

BTW coconut oil has been proved to assist the body to kickstart the fat burning and get you into ketosis quicker. It is sometimes used by doctors treating children with uncontrollable epilepsy to kickstart ketosis.

Sniffie - how do you use the coconut oil?

I'm not a great fan of the taste, so don't go out of my way to use it - but always think that I should be making more effort.