LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Sniffie - how do you use the coconut oil?

I'm not a great fan of the taste, so don't go out of my way to use it - but always think that I should be making more effort.

I'm no fan either but there is one thing that I really enjoy it in. Same principals as BP coffee but instead of coffee, use red espresso and add cream. Quantities will vary between tastes but try 10g butter, 20g CO and about 20-30g cream and milk for additional volume.

Also if you aren't limiting milk intake by too much, I heat up about 150-200ml milk in one of those Nespresso milk frothers, pour into a mug and add cream and CO. You can also add a few drops of vanilla essence to add to the flavour profile.

Edited by Helpmytrap

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no fan either but there is one thing that I really enjoy it in. Same principals as BP coffee but instead of coffee, use red espresso and add cream. Quantities will vary between tastes but try 10g butter, 20g CO and about 20-30g cream and milk for additional volume.

Also if you aren't limiting milk intake by too much, I heat up about 150-200ml milk in one of those Nespresso milk frothers, pour into a mug and add cream and CO. You can also add a few drops of vanilla essence to add to the flavour profile.

Does it work if you just eat a few teaspoons of it?

I'm sure it will work if you can stomach it

If anyone is making low carb bread or seed crackers it works quite nicely as a spread and with a sprinkle of cinnamon it's quite delicious.

That red expresso idea was quite lekker - well the mouthful that was left, after I blended the entire mixture out of the mug , was.....

Oops....

Edited by Da Vinci

That red expresso idea was quite lekker - well the mouthful that was left, after I blended the entire mixture out of the mug , was.....

Oops....

I must try that. I like the taste of CO though.

I make my coffee in the morning 30g butter, 30g CO, 40g cream and 60g milk and a shot of espresso B)

Sniffie - how do you use the coconut oil?

I'm not a great fan of the taste, so don't go out of my way to use it - but always think that I should be making more effort.

Hi Dave.

As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread I think that the taste of coconut is one of those that you either love or hate. Not sure if it is the kind of taste that can "grow on you." I am one of the fortunate ones that's just mad about the taste! :drool:

I add about 30 ml to my early morning coffee with full cream milk or cream. Also use it to fry eggs or minute steak or boerewors for breakfast. I consume whatever CO remains in the pan after frying. I also add a tablespoon or two to my veggies at lunch or dinner. When we sometimes cook a leaner cut of beef for Sunday lunch I would drench my portion in CO while the rest of the family would go for the gravy. I seem to remember that you are a big tea lover? So you will think I am insane, but I even add a teaspoon or two to my tea on occasion.

What I would suggest since you are not mad about the taste is to use it half and half with your favorite fats when frying up something. I don't know if you use butter or olive oil or a combination of both, but try replacing half with the CO and see how it goes down? Perhaps try a teaspoon of CO with butter over your veggies as well. Hope you find a way to make it palatable for you!

Oops....

I've done that quite a few times until I found the right mug. Needs to have a large enough diameter so that a wand/stick blender fits firmly against the bottom and the walls need to be near vertical. If you have one that resembles a V shape, the centrifugal forces simple cause the contents to eject themselves as you experienced. :D

I've done that quite a few times until I found the right mug. Needs to have a large enough diameter so that a wand/stick blender fits firmly against the bottom and the walls need to be near vertical. If you have one that resembles a V shape, the centrifugal forces simple cause the contents to eject themselves as you experienced. :D

I have just the mug and I still looked at it and wondered if I should rather be using it :P

Lets face it, the Carte Blanche segment on HFLC / Banting was pretty lame. Uninformative. No science, just sensationalism. The debate on Twitter after was the usual hogwash of dieticians (pro and am) spouting garbage about "everything in moderation - eat less move more - Noakes has no science to back up his claims". AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I don't know how Prof Tim keeps going. Power to him.

Edited by Spinsei

Lets face it, the Carte Blanche segment on HFLC / Banting was pretty lame. No science, just sensationalism. The debate on Twitter after was the usual hogwash of dieticians spouting garbage about "everything in moderation - - eat less move more - Noakes has no science to back up his claims". AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I just want to shake them and shout at them... "Read Taubes! Read the science! Think outside your box! Try it for Gods sake!!" One tit even said he knew 3 people that had died on because of the Tim Noakes diet. Can you believe it?? I engaged him on it, asked for details, and I got personally attacked (defence of the feeble minded I guess) Disappointing. I don't know how Prof Tim keeps going. Power to him.

Agreed. I listened to the original debate on a podcast and in it Noakes completely owned Opie - but not in a horrible way. The Carte Blanche version was pathetic.

It is sad, as when Noakes was in full flow about LC and IR/carb intolerance he was quite compelling. That bit was of course left out, and diabetics will still be using all sorts of excuses that will lead them to slow, horrible diabetic deaths (going blind, having their extremities amputated bit by bit etc)

No wonder Noakes gets angry about the nay sayers.

Edited by davetapson

If you guys have a look at Dischem, they have coconut oil with the flavour removed (99%). Tastes much better.

Last year January I was a vegetarian when I went to see a coach. I had a big race coming up in Italy and wanted a training program. First thing Gary did was an assessment. He told me a I wasn't fit and was a bit overweight, no surprise on either count, but otherwise the numbers were encouraging and he felt with some hard work the race would be a nice challenge.

One little anomaly was higher than expected levels of lactate at low intensities. I was instructed to do a lot of base riding to improve this negative area of my cycling. On my second as ament 6 weeks later all my nip umbels had improved but I was still producing a lot of lactate at low intensities. Not as bad as before but still poor.

Now with my diet totally changed and not consuming much carbs at all and a lot more fat and protein I am wondering if things would have changed. I am planning on doing another assessment at the end of July and I'm wondering if I can expect some changes as I feel I am fairly well fat adapted.

Any opinions on this? Could I expect to produce less lactate at lower intensities being fat adapted? Will I be saving my glycogen stores for higher intensities perhaps?

If you guys have a look at Dischem, they have coconut oil with the flavour removed (99%). Tastes much better.

Lots of discussion has come and gone on this thread about that already. Just beware that the cheap deodorised version is refined heat-extracted stuff. This is not what you want to be eating.

Coconut oil always needs to be 'cold pressed virgin'.

Last year January I was a vegetarian when I went to see a coach. I had a big race coming up in Italy and wanted a training program. First thing Gary did was an assessment. He told me a I wasn't fit and was a bit overweight, no surprise on either count, but otherwise the numbers were encouraging and he felt with some hard work the race would be a nice challenge.

One little anomaly was higher than expected levels of lactate at low intensities. I was instructed to do a lot of base riding to improve this negative area of my cycling. On my second as ament 6 weeks later all my nip umbels had improved but I was still producing a lot of lactate at low intensities. Not as bad as before but still poor.

Now with my diet totally changed and not consuming much carbs at all and a lot more fat and protein I am wondering if things would have changed. I am planning on doing another assessment at the end of July and I'm wondering if I can expect some changes as I feel I am fairly well fat adapted.

Any opinions on this? Could I expect to produce less lactate at lower intensities being fat adapted? Will I be saving my glycogen stores for higher intensities perhaps?

My understanding is that lactate is (largely?) a product of breaking down carbohydrates to produce energy. If you are not breaking down cho's, then you should not be producing (as much?) lactate. This, I understand, is why you don't pant so much when fat adapted - as panting is one of the body's ways to reduce acidity in the blood (due to lactic acid build up).

Which is a long way of me saying that I think a person would produce less lactate at lower intensities (and higher intensities too for that matter) when fat adapted.

Will be interesting to see your numbers.

Someone needs to go and look at Krebs cycles etc. I had to do that too much to pass biochem to want to go and do it again...