LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a good previous day race meal and what is good race snacks. I am off the GU and relatetd sugary stuff as my stomach cramps in the final stages of a long ride. Should I even eat during a ride?

What is a good previous day race meal and what is good race snacks. I am off the GU and relatetd sugary stuff as my stomach cramps in the final stages of a long ride. Should I even eat during a ride?

When I know I am in for a hard ride I would take my energy (Carbofuel from Cadence) at 75% of the recommended strength in one bottle and water in the other. I would aim to consume roughly 1 bottle and one gel per hour, as per JC's recommendation. I take the gel followed immediately by at least 250 ml water to prevent the stomach cramps. The carbs in the Carbofuel from Cadence is derived from maltodextrin and fructose at a ratio of 2:1 and because of that it is not nauseatingly sweet.

As a more natural source of energy I would often use dates. That is If you can manage to chow on the bike. On super long rides I would also take some droë wors, but be careful, to much of this while on a hard ride will cause serious indigestion and eventually dehydration problems.

For a evening before a race nothing beats a good steak and some veggies. Now you can also incorporate some butter nut or sweet potato. I am a cattle farmer so I might be biased on the steak, but pasta never worked for me, even in my high carb days, always felt flat and hungry the next morning.

Important thing is to experiment and try to figure out what works for you, as we are all different.

When I know I am in for a hard ride I would take my energy (Carbofuel from Cadence) at 75% of the recommended strength in one bottle and water in the other. I would aim to consume roughly 1 bottle and one gel per hour, as per JC's recommendation. I take the gel followed immediately by at least 250 ml water to prevent the stomach cramps. The carbs in the Carbofuel from Cadence is derived from maltodextrin and fructose at a ratio of 2:1 and because of that it is not nauseatingly sweet.

As a more natural source of energy I would often use dates. That is If you can manage to chow on the bike. On super long rides I would also take some droë wors, but be careful, to much of this while on a hard ride will cause serious indigestion and eventually dehydration problems.

For a evening before a race nothing beats a good steak and some veggies. Now you can also incorporate some butter nut or sweet potato. I am a cattle farmer so I might be biased on the steak, but pasta never worked for me, even in my high carb days, always felt flat and hungry the next morning.

Important thing is to experiment and try to figure out what works for you, as we are all different.

I am trying to avoid the Gel / Gu / carb stuff. Is there an alternative?

What unsulted butter would you guys recommend? I use Kerrygold for my fatshake but want to try unsulted for the bulletproof coffee. Any recommendations?

What unsulted butter would you guys recommend? I use Kerrygold for my fatshake but want to try unsulted for the bulletproof coffee. Any recommendations?

Use salted butter, I don't know where that comes from, but preferably butter from pastured cows.

Why is unsalted butter the thing, on the LCHF diet you need to up your intake of salt. I add salt to my coffee, even though my butter is also salted, particuarily if I've a headache, or if I'm feeling unwell.

Use salted butter, I don't know where that comes from, but preferably butter from pastured cows.

Why is unsalted butter the thing, on the LCHF diet you need to up your intake of salt. I add salt to my coffee, even though my butter is also salted, particuarily if I've a headache, or if I'm feeling unwell.

I am trying to avoid the Gel / Gu / carb stuff. Is there an alternative?

Are you trying to avoid all carbs during a ride or just the gel/ gu? Because if you are going to take no carbs and you are not fully fat adapted you are going to bonk sooner or later. If you are looking for a substitute for gels and gu there are plenty of ideas. Fresh or died fruit, raisins, dates, honey etc. You might try a product like 'Generation Ucan' which is a so called super starch.

You can make your own starchy energy drink by making "slap pap" which is a drinkable form of maize meal porridge. Dit loop soos stroop op 'n bicycle!

Plenty of ideas! Experiment and find something which is palatable for you and works.

Are you trying to avoid all carbs during a ride or just the gel/ gu? Because if you are going to take no carbs and you are not fully fat adapted you are going to bonk sooner or later. If you are looking for a substitute for gels and gu there are plenty of ideas. Fresh or died fruit, raisins, dates, honey etc. You might try a product like 'Generation Ucan' which is a so called super starch.

You can make your own starchy energy drink by making "slap pap" which is a drinkable form of maize meal porridge. Dit loop soos stroop op 'n bicycle!

Plenty of ideas! Experiment and find something which is palatable for you and works.

I'm going to experiment. I used GU and Bars a few times on longer rides and after a while got stomach cramps. I also feel a bit unstable at times. A guy I do long distance riding with advised me so go 0 on sugar and maybe go lower carb on rides. My mother did her 10th Comrades this year and for the first time no sugar and said it was her best ever. I'll maybe try bananas, nuts, raisens and droewors and a lower carb mix in one bottle and then work my way up or down from there in subsequent sessions.

Thanks this helped.

That high fat and high carb is a bad idea???

No that replacing a meal with Bullet Proof coffee is.

His logic is sound and makes sense. I think on these kind of eating plans that go against the grain of what we have be taught it's always good to read and absorb what is said and written.

Problem with this LCHF diet is it's not easy to get right. People tend to drop the carbs but raise protein instead of fat. Or even worse they add a lot of fat hoping it will help them reduce carb cravings but they end up on a normal carb diet high fat as well.

Another issue is I have seen people start skipping the veges and other sources of nutrients.

Increase the fat. Make sure the protein is adequate and of a good standard. Cut the carbs severely and sugar completely. Keep non starchy vege levels up and even raise them.

Sounds simple till you try it

Anything to be raken from this?

http://authoritynutr...-is-a-bad-idea/

I like Mark Sisson has a very balanced approach to bulletproof coffee. Heard a recent interview with him ... When asked if he used it, his answers went something like this:

"I prefer to eat my calories than drink them"

"I like my coffee to taste like coffee, not like coconut or butter"

"It's a great short term strategy for weight loss or hunger suppression"

Also, the recipe in the article refers to 2 tablespoons MCT and 2 tablespoons butter ... not sure I could stomach that amount in one sitting. I usually make mine with 2 teaspoon of butter, coconut and cream and around 200ml coffee and sometimes a bit gets left behind.

Each to their own I suppose.