LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some info about cooking methods:

Several studies published since 1990 indicate that cooking meat at high temperature creates heterocyclic amines (HCAs), which are thought to increase cancer risk in humans. Researchers at the National Cancer Institute found that human subjects who ate beef rare or medium-rare had less than one third the risk of stomach cancer than those who ate beef medium-well or well-done.[26] While eating meat raw may be the only way to avoid HCAs fully, the National Cancer Institute states that cooking meat below 212 °F (100 °C) creates "negligible amounts" of HCAs. Also, microwaving meat before cooking may reduce HCAs by 90%.[26] Nitrosamines, present in processed and cooked foods, have also been noted as being carcinogenic, being linked to colon cancer.

Research has shown that grilling, barbecuing and smoking meat and fish increases levels of carcinogenic Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH). In Europe, grilled meat and smoked fish generally only contribute a small proportion of dietary PAH intake since they are a minor component of diet – most intake comes from cereals, oils and fats.[27] However, in the US, grilled/barbecued meat is the second highest contributor of the mean daily intake of benzo[a]pyrene at 21% after ‘bread, cereal and grain’ at 29%.[27]

Baking, grilling or broiling food, especially starchy foods, until a toasted crust is formed generates significant concentrations of acrylamide, a possible carcinogen.[28]

Source

For those that tweet.

Noakes has started a new twitter account in conjunction with Brad Brown to answer LCHF questions in a daily podcast: @AskProfNoakes.

My brother tells me that the good Prof has reached retirement age and taken it. Sad day for the SSISA I think.

Probably got tired of being beaten up and has better things to do with his time.

Edit: And I got an immediate reply on question regarding fueling for MTB racing - answer based on running, but probably largely relevent:

http://talkfeed.co.za/marathon-fueling-fat-adapted/

Edited by davetapson

My thinking is that MTB in particular is a world apart from marathon running. When I ran marathons it was a pretty constant exertion over the course of 3hrs, or 4hrs, whereas MTB is a series of periods of intense exertion inter-spaced with periods of recovery, or lesser exertion, so you should adjust your carb consumption accordingly.

And what that means, I'm not quite sure :blush: :whistling:

My thinking is that MTB in particular is a world apart from marathon running. When I ran marathons it was a pretty constant exertion over the course of 3hrs, or 4hrs, whereas MTB is a series of periods of intense exertion inter-spaced with periods of recovery, or lesser exertion, so you should adjust your carb consumption accordingly.

And what that means, I'm not quite sure :blush: :whistling:

Reading the link provided by Dave

So even if you’re profoundly insulin resistant and you’ve benefited from this diet eating a little bit of carbohydrate the day before a marathon and a little bit of carbohydrate during the marathon is not going to impact on your health. So if you want to take some carbohydrates, then do so.

So even if you’re profoundly insulin resistant and you’ve benefited from this diet eating a little bit of carbohydrate the day before a marathon and a little bit of carbohydrate during the marathon is not going to impact on your health. So if you want to take some carbohydrates, then do so.

I agree that MTB'ing ain't marathon running for exactly your reasons...

However, the messages I took from the answer:

1. Noakes does say that everyone is different - so a 'one rule for all' approach is unlikely to be correct. Which we know from experiences on this thread.

2. Some world class athletes do require some carb intake before and during events in order to perform - something that jcza and others have been saying from day 1. I've tried both ways, and I know for a fact that I have (a lot) more vooma with carb intake. I will try racing again on water from time to time just to check, but I suspect that I know what the answer will be.

3. We also know that not much carb is rqd during racing compared to before fat adaption. There are times when I'm chowing down something tasty that I know I'm just using the racing as an excuse.

4. Noakes says go with how you are feeling. You feel you need CHO? Then chow. You don't feel like you need it? Then don't chow. He's pretty blase about this stuff, plus I think he thinks the mind games are important - You think you need cho to perform? Then take it, it will help - mentally at least.

My over-analytical-reading-between-the-lines-post over.

I'm off home...

(Just paid for shuttle for Dusi2C - woohoo!! Can't wait!!)

Hi All. I see on talkfeed.co.za, Tim Noakes is recommending Pemmican as a snack food. Have any of you tried it and where can I get some? I had no joy googling this.

Hi All. I see on talkfeed.co.za, Tim Noakes is recommending Pemmican as a snack food. Have any of you tried it and where can I get some? I had no joy googling this.

Droë wors or fatty biltong from a reputable butcher.

Droë wors or fatty biltong from a reputable butcher.

Noakes seems to think Pemmican is even better and easier to eat when exersizing. I've looked around the web a bit more now and it looks quite simple to make. I'm going to try do something tonight.

I tried making it, but could not find a fat that was sufficiently hard out of the fridge to hold it's shape in the form of a bar, so it sort of became a sloppy, oily mess :thumbdown:

Had thought of trying it again in winter when ambient temps are a bit lower.

recipe here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-pemmican/#axzz335BC0PrG

I dried the meat in a biltong maker, then shredded it with a blender. The drier the meat is the easier it is to shred. Also added some cranberries and spices for flavour.

Let us know if you get it right

Has anyone a copy of the Noakes' book that contains the foreword by Gary Player?

Very interested in reading the foreword as many of Player's close family members are apparently vegan and I heard he was contemplating a similar lifestyle change.

Interested in seeing how this lifestyle choice (if true) reconciles with Noakes' dietary recommendations.

Unfortunately the book is currently sold out. If anyone could direct me to an e-copy of the foreword it would be great.

Has anyone a copy of the Noakes' book that contains the foreword by Gary Player?

Very interested in reading the foreword as many of Player's close family members are apparently vegan and I heard he was contemplating a similar lifestyle change.

Interested in seeing how this lifestyle choice (if true) reconciles with Noakes' dietary recommendations.

Unfortunately the book is currently sold out. If anyone could direct me to an e-copy of the foreword it would be great.

I'll scan it and post here.

I make my own pemmican by making very fatty homemade biltong, then cutting the fat into small pieces and mixing with a little lean biltong (also small cuts). I put into a bowl and squash/mix together. I put the result into a plastic bag and it becomes a mouthwatering HF snack.

In fact, for me fatty biltong/pemmican is the king of HF snacks. Like PAK has posted, all the evidence coming out these days showing how meat isn't so great for you when grilled/braaied, it's why people like Noakes are encouraging cured fat/meat as a top notch snack.