LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

That high fat and high carb is a bad idea???

Cant remember where I read it, but my understanding is that your body deals with saturated fat very differently when you are on a diet high enough in carbs to keep insulin high and leptin low to how it deals with sat fat on a low carb diet.

In other words, sat fat is fine on low carb/low insulin person, but not good if carbs are high.

I suppose you're going to want me to go find the reference .... :)

... will have a look tonight.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What unsulted butter would you guys recommend? I use Kerrygold for my fatshake but want to try unsulted for the bulletproof coffee. Any recommendations?

I love Ladismith's Cultured Butter (on special at PNP for R29.99 at the moment). Quality differs a bit throughout the year, but like most Southern and Eastern Cape dairies it is from mostly sillage and grass fed cows.

Can I chow and apple or three per day?

What are you LCHF goals? If weightloss then no

Ideally one per day if you must.

Do you like apples or looking for a filler?

Apples for me stimulates my appetite big time. It is as if my stomach juices are awakened by eating them. Nowadays I only eat apples on a saturday or sunday long ride. If you want to be strict low carb rather leave it out, at least initially.

I'm going to experiment. I used GU and Bars a few times on longer rides and after a while got stomach cramps. I also feel a bit unstable at times. A guy I do long distance riding with advised me so go 0 on sugar and maybe go lower carb on rides. My mother did her 10th Comrades this year and for the first time no sugar and said it was her best ever. I'll maybe try bananas, nuts, raisens and droewors and a lower carb mix in one bottle and then work my way up or down from there in subsequent sessions.

Thanks this helped.

I am sorry I forgot one of the best non sugary race foods/snacks ever: boiled baby potatoes with a little bit of butter and salt! Even boiled sweet potato and butter goes down well on a long ride.

My body craves an apple a day. Have no other cravings. Just a humble old apple. First choice is a pink lady apple.

My body craves an apple a day. Have no other cravings. Just a humble old apple. First choice is a pink lady apple.

What about oranges?

What about oranges?

So have one then - but just consider that it will form part of your carb intake and adjust elsewhere.

Interestingly enough Uncle Tim says you can 1 1/2 apples or 2 Oranges but not much else if you want to stay below the 50-100g per day carb limit

I eat an apple a day. Generally I eat 2 pieces of fruit a day. II don't think I'm carb intolerant. I could lose another 2 KG but I'm not really overweight.

I think you will need to decide on fruit for yourself. Depends on where you are and what you want to do.

Just don't eat the fruit in the afternoon if you must eat fruit

I been on this LCHF since last Monday having about 40g carbs a day 140g fat 100g protien my problem is cycling is a major effort now I am seriously flat the Nissan race in Cullinan I managed a 3:08 and now a 40km on the road is a effort any idea how long it will take for my body to use fat as energy

I been on this LCHF since last Monday having about 40g carbs a day 140g fat 100g protien my problem is cycling is a major effort now I am seriously flat the Nissan race in Cullinan I managed a 3:08 and now a 40km on the road is a effort any idea how long it will take for my body to use fat as energy

Can take up to 6 months.

Personally I'm not convinced that you can go fast without carbs, far yes, fast no.

The butter thing is great news really. But I used to love it on potato and on bread. Can't remember when I last ate a potato and haven't made bread in about 2 months. So what do I do with this butter now.

The butter thing is great news really. But I used to love it on potato and on bread. Can't remember when I last ate a potato and haven't made bread in about 2 months. So what do I do with this butter now.

Try sweet potato and butter or any other the other vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower etc. Also a knob of butter on a steak is delicious. Or on your omelette in the morning.