LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I tried making it, but could not find a fat that was sufficiently hard out of the fridge to hold it's shape in the form of a bar, so it sort of became a sloppy, oily mess :thumbdown:

Had thought of trying it again in winter when ambient temps are a bit lower.

recipe here: http://www.marksdail.../#axzz335BC0PrG

I dried the meat in a biltong maker, then shredded it with a blender. The drier the meat is the easier it is to shred. Also added some cranberries and spices for flavour.

Let us know if you get it right

Yes, I was wondering how it becomes hard. Thanks for the recipe.

I also found this http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/02/bacon-pemmican-the-ultimate-paleo-travel-food/ which adds coconut oil, that, as you know, gets hard in moderate remperatures. I'll let you know.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I make my own pemmican by making very fatty homemade biltong, then cutting the fat into small pieces and mixing with a little lean biltong (also small cuts). I put into a bowl and squash/mix together. I put the result into a plastic bag and it becomes a mouthwatering HF snack.

In fact, for me fatty biltong/pemmican is the king of HF snacks. Like PAK has posted, all the evidence coming out these days showing how meat isn't so great for you when grilled/braaied, it's why people like Noakes are encouraging cured fat/meat as a top notch snack.

My googling shows that most of the pemmican recipes add dried cranberries and raisins for flavour, that seems to me to be contradictory to the whole point of the recipe. What do you use for flavour? Edited by Mikesa9

My googling shows that most of the pemmican recipes add dried cranberries and raisins for flavour, that seems to me to be contradictory to the whole point of the recipe. What do you use for flavour?

Biltong??

My googling shows that most of the pemmican recipes add dried cranberries and raisins for flavour, that seems to me to be contradictory to the whole point of the recipe. What do you use for flavour?

Dried cranberries give it a slightly sweeter flavour but you don't need lots to make a difference, so my guess is that the snack is still very high in fat and low in carb.

I soaked the meat in brown vinegar but did not add any spices before drying so it was quite bland after drying. Then added regular biltong spice, salt, pepper, etc for flavour at the same time as mixing with the fat.

About 20mins in Noakes explains thoughts on potential of fat burning. Says Volek has tested marathon runners in the lab and they can burn 1.7g/hrs which would allow a 2:20 marathon. That's pretty quick.

Also mentions the 200g before / some during thing. Effectively says 'get yourself fat adapted and then try it and see. If you need some carbs, eat some.'

Also says that if you are fat adapted, you do not switch off fat burning if you take in 200g carb, but that it will be saved for use during exercise. If you are not fat adapted, you will burn some of this up during the rest of the day.

Also at 46 mins talks of 50 - 150g per day according to individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAb9Pd8n14&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

Edited by davetapson

It seems Crede has no big containers of coconut oil, does anyone know where else to try?

Had a reply from Crede today. There stock has arrived

Interesting.

I am slowly changing my opinion on the carbs at high intensity thing. Today I went pretty much as hard as I could for almost 2:30 on a very hill course. Almost 1200m of climbing. My average hr was below threshold, obviously, but I spent considerable time at rates well above threshold. Drank just 750ml of Jozi tap and ate nothing at all. Breakfast was a two egg Omlette.

Perhaps carbs not as important at high intensities as I thought.

Interesting. I am slowly changing my opinion on the carbs at high intensity thing. Today I went pretty much as hard as I could for almost 2:30 on a very hill course. Almost 1200m of climbing. My average hr was below threshold, obviously, but I spent considerable time at rates well above threshold. Drank just 750ml of Jozi tap and ate nothing at all. Breakfast was a two egg Omlette. Perhaps carbs not as important at high intensities as I thought.

I agree with above sentiment.

If I look at it rationally how realistic is it to expect my body to migrate within a matter of months and perform at the same intensities and effectivenss as I have had it fine tuned for all of my life ( carbs ) and more than half of it performing exercise at intensity on carbs.

I would like to see what a person raised on lchf ( ie most of life ) who developed into a competent endurance sportsman could do with lchf intake.

Interesting.

I am slowly changing my opinion on the carbs at high intensity thing. Today I went pretty much as hard as I could for almost 2:30 on a very hill course. Almost 1200m of climbing. My average hr was below threshold, obviously, but I spent considerable time at rates well above threshold. Drank just 750ml of Jozi tap and ate nothing at all. Breakfast was a two egg Omlette.

Perhaps carbs not as important at high intensities as I thought.

Don't be too naive though. First see if you can get through a hard training week without consuming "any" carbs before you start "neglecting" them at high intensities. (Kind of like referencing multiple studies to back your hypothesis and not just one, more data points lead to more accurate results. :))

The way I see it; sure they may not be as important as everyone makes them out to be but I'd rather consume the carbs in order to maximise the recovery rate because the key to any endurance sport is consistency. And you need to be well recovered in order to put in decent training blocks to achieve the best possible gains.

Both Happy Martin and HMT saying the right thing (in terms of my own experience). In other words, as long as I have decent reserves of glycogen I can go at high intensities - as high as my genes and fitness levels will allow.

But allow yourself to become fully depleted and don't focus on recovery between hard sessions, then don't be surprised if you have 'dead' legs or worse (bonk) the next hard session.

What I mean is that 2 1/2 years into this thing, a LCHF / Paleo diet has no impact on my ability to perform at high intensities.

Three weeks I have been hammering at the training now. Today I was dead. Ate a bar into the ride but I have overdone it. This week coming is now a recovery week. Half the normal volume of riding and way down on intensity.

I'm not concerned about it. It's a normal thing as far as I know. Give me a week and I will be back at it.

I have dropped 6kg in the past 2 months. I think that is also affecting me a bit. I have tried to slow the weight loss as much as I can.

Hi Guys

I've been toying with the whole LCHF thing since the end of last year and have lost about 14kgs from about the end of November 2013. I want to eat this way full time because I lose weight and actually feel better with this way of eating.

Thing is I am thinking of doing the 5150 Bela Bela during August, Tri Rock in October and 11Global in November with the 70.3 in January.

How do you approach training while eating low carb? Do I only take in carbs when doing workouts longer than 2 hours and high intensity workouts. If so, what carbs should one take.

How long does it take for ones body to become adapted to this way of eating? How long does it take to feel better during training after starting LCHF.

Hope you can help!

Hi Guys

I've been toying with the whole LCHF thing since the end of last year and have lost about 14kgs from about the end of November 2013. I want to eat this way full time because I lose weight and actually feel better with this way of eating.

Thing is.....

Hope you can help!

What I meant to say is that it would be a good idea to read the thread from the start. You'll get soo much more info than what the guys will be able to give you here.

Thats if you haven't. Took me about a month to read.

Edited by deanbean