LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I didn't eat dairy, I may shrivel up and vanish. As far as I remember, it's always been on the "hidden carbs" radar.... Along with nuts.

Guest DieBees

Has anyone converted completely onto this lifestyle and how does it affect your racing? Dont you miss the carbs for fuel? I know that the fat should stand in for the carbs, but is there any experiences that can be shared? 

Has anyone converted completely onto this lifestyle and how does it affect your racing? Dont you miss the carbs for fuel? I know that the fat should stand in for the carbs, but is there any experiences that can be shared? 

I know its gonna take a long time, but read through the whole thread, there are plenty of people who have added there personal experiences WRT low carb living, training and racing. To sum it up for you: You can go very long  and slow without any carbs, but if you up the tempo to race pace, you will need carbs. End van prent.

Guest DieBees

I know its gonna take a long time, but read through the whole thread, there are plenty of people who have added there personal experiences WRT low carb living, training and racing. To sum it up for you: You can go very long and slow without any carbs, but if you up the tempo to race pace, you will need carbs. End van prent.

Cool. I was hoping no one refers me back to the thread... But I will read it. Thanks again.

Nope. But that's what chutney was made for :)

Ha ha, do you know how much sugar is in chutney? Sure that is against banting rules...

Ha ha, do you know how much sugar is in chutney? Sure that is against banting rules...

Indeed, way too sugary and silly expensive these days. I switched to herbs, spices, olive oil. Healthier and you can actually taste the food :)

Some interesting info on omega 7 (did some searching after JohnnyApple's post)

http://www.lef.org/magazine/2014/4/Omega-7-Protects-Against-Metabolic-Syndrome/Page-01

Macadamia nuts contain palmitic acid which they claim can be harmful. Not sure if it's just claimed so that you must buy their refined omega7 product...?

Interesting find, I never noticed this before.

Yes, sea buckthorn oil contains about 36% palmitoleic acid, but sea buckthorn oil also contains a whopping 35.5% palmitic acid. Macadamia nut oil contains just 8.9% palmitic acid.  - http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/macadamia_nut_oil.htm

Insider Note – Palmitic acid is not bad as some sources (such as this one) are indicating. It’s used in many cosmetic products for its cleansing and emulsifying properties. Studies have indicated palmitic acid might help with fighting skin cancer. Palmitic acid also helps the skin form it’s occlusive defensive layer to keep pathogens out and keep moisture in. It also has mild antioxidant properties.

The main ‘negative’ associated with palmitic acid was a study published in the “Asian Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition”. In the study a group of healthy volunteers consumed a high dose of palmitic acid. It was concluded that palmitic acid taken apart from linoleic acid may increase cholesterol. Fortunately, linoleic acid is always found with palmitic acid in natural food sources. The study showed what happened if palmitic is taken isolated and at an unusually high amount which is simply not feasible in the natural world.

In excess and isolated from linoleic acid and others, yes SOME studies indicate palmitic acid may have some negative effects. Have you tried finding this fatty acid from a natural source that doesn’t have other fatty acids? Good luck … plenty of nutritious foods have naturally occurring palmitic acid such as pumpkin and coconut oil. Palm fruit oil, hence Palmitic acid, is the most potent source of palmitic acid around.

http://www.seabuckthorninsider.com/education/the-newest-super-fat-omega-7/

The jury might still be out on whether palmitic acid is too dangerous, but I think that especially in the whole-nut form the benefits of the Omega7 outweighs the possible risks from palmitic acid.

Oh yeah, and coconut oil has 11% palmitic acid, so it's worse than macadamia oil in that respect.

Edited by JohnnyApple