Cyclists Killed in Durbanville: State of SA Roads

Freewheel Radio

Following the tragic loss of yet another cyclist on our roads yesterday, we'd like to open the forum up to comments and suggestions from hubbers on the state of cycling safety on SA's roads...

Is the blame solely on motorists or are cyclists to blame on occasion? While there are numerous knobs on the road such as the utter coward involved in the Koos Roux accident, cyclists can also not be completely absolved from blame.

Lately we were informed about Lucas Brunelle and his documentary "Line of Sight" about the burgeoning alleycat racing scene. This type of racing is considered "daring" where cyclists antagonise motorists and conduct stunts such as hanging on to buses and crossing high speed motorways, swerving in and out of inner city traffic.

While this may be considered fun by some and the alleycat scene may be growing here in Cape Town, what kind of message is this sending to other cyclists? That its okay to put your life in danger so recklessly? Place yourself in the shoes of a motorist who say for example is involved in an accident with one of these alleycat racers which for arguments sake causes a death. Imagine the trauma that motorist has to go through all because an idiot on a bike placed himself in reckless danger all in the name of cheap thrills.

Cowards like the idiot who knocked Koos Roux over and buggered off should be prosecuted and punished severely, but a stop has to be made on both sides. These alleycat races do nothing to improve safety on our roads, in fact the complete opposite. Call me an old fart but I think a stop needs to be made to these races as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorists have NO excuses for knocking over cyclists...they should avoid collisions with bicycles as they do daily with cars.... i have experienced many times that a bicycle is not considered to have right of way when it comes to approaching intersections t-junctions or circles , we are not considered as vehicles.. that has to change , nevermind the actions of a minority of daredevils... they have to live with the responsibilty of putting their own lives in reckless danger.. the rest are not the scapegoats of the reckless for motorists

Motorists have NO excuses for knocking over cyclists...they should avoid collisions with bicycles as they do daily with cars.... i have experienced many times that a bicycle is not considered to have right of way when it comes to approaching intersections t-junctions or circles , we are not considered as vehicles.. that has to change , nevermind the actions of a minority of daredevils... they have to live with the responsibilty of putting their own lives in reckless danger.. the rest are not the scapegoats of the reckless for motorists

Too true. On many rides I see cyclists obeying all the rules watching and riding for their safety only for motorists to almost purposefully drive like idiots when they see us. I just feel when these groups of daredevils actively promote putting cyclists' lives at risk something needs to be done.

Also I think we need to utilise Bellville Velodrome. A safe environment that can be utilised for training for all cycling disciplines that's standing there begging to be used.

im a cyclist. 15 years now

im also a motorist.

Cyclist are inconsiderate. as a motorist in morning or evening traffic you will find cyclist where you dont expect to see or find them. like weaving in and out of traffic.

there are lots of previously disadvantaged woman now also using the roads, with cars twice the size ours.

non the less, they are not gonna go away, neither is the dumb **** bus driver...

but we can change our routine.

• Do we have to ride at peak hour?
  • Do we have to train then?
  • are we going to loose podium money?
  • Do we have to ride in the dark with a light? (probably the post stupid thing a road cyclist can do)
  • you can determine your own destiny
  • the choice is yours.

Make a stupid decision, face the consequences

im also a motorist.

Cyclist are inconsiderate. as a motorist in morning or evening traffic you will find cyclist where you dont expect to see or find them. like weaving in and out of traffic.

there are lots of previously disadvantaged woman now also using the roads, with cars twice the size ours.

non the less, they are not gonna go away, neither is the dumb **** bus driver...

• Do we have to ride in the dark with a light? (probably the post stupid thing a road cyclist can do)
  • the choice is yours.

What about cyclists who commute? They NEED to cycle during rush hour as that is what makes it a commute rather than a training ride...

The issue at hand is motorist apathy, arrogance indifference, unawareness - removing cyclists from their paths is treating a symptom, not solving a cause.

Edited by eeeek

im also a motorist.

• the choice is yours.

I actually think that riding when it is dark out with a bright light, I'm far more visible to motorists. They are more likely to slow down and give me a wider berth when passing me.

I think the biggest problem especially in JHB is that our roads aren't cut out for cyclists. I drive through Midrand daily, and there are lots of guys commuting to/from work - the problem is many of our roads are single lane. It becomes very interesting some mornings when there's guys on their bikes on both sides, and cars have to pass the cyclist by a safe distance, while making sure there's no motorbike coming past on their right, avoiding the oncoming car that's trying to avoid the cyclist on their side, not to mention avoiding potholes and the taxis driving on the pavements. It's mayhem.

My domestic worker tells me how taxi drivers actually have a go at the commuters because they would obviously rather have the guys using their service.

Since trying to ride on the roads, I have respect for cyclist because it takes balls -

Attitudes and behavior needs to change on all sides.

I do also think that certain roads that are known dangerous areas - i.e where cars are able to drive at excessive speeds, cyclists should find alternative routes to train. Not because you don't have a right to be there, but because it's not worth losing your life for it IMO.

I don't understand what a tiny alleycat race held once a month on a Sunday afternoon has to do with the tragedies we face every week with cyclists being mowed down by homicidal, drunken, stupid, negligent car drivers, who nearly always get away with it. Lets get some perspective here. Or are you saying that cyclists ride so badly that it's somehow understandable that drivers decide to run them down?

Edited by Lucky Luke.

More on bikes in the K53 learners system.

Also remember their are more and more bicycles on the road every year (I been riding for 31 years - so honestly can say this) - so the question needs to be asked are as % of cyclist more been involved in accidents? I will be the 1st to admit I would prefer to see no accidents and to this end I was even with a public prosecutor on Friday after pressing my 1st charge against another vehicle in 31 years. Basically after been put in a corner by the prosecutor (who alway said if you wanna still go to court you can) I got an apology from the driver of the other vehicle - so either on a cycle you are very badly injured or dead or if another vehicle endangers your life while braking laws (more than one) and you take it further you can expect an apology!

This past Sat I was involved in a cycle accident - and I don't think we as cyclist even know how vulnerable we really are let alone motorist! My accident did not directly involved a car but their had been a car crash their earlier in the day I have been told. Hit some oil and in no time lost control / front wheel - 1 x broken collar bone! Latter in the day I know of at least 1 more accident at the same spot with a motor cycle!

I don't understand what a tiny alleycat race held once a month on a Sunday afternoon has to do with the tragedies we face every week with cyclists being mowed down by homicidal, drunken, stupid, negligent car drivers, who nearly always get away with it. Lets get some perspective here. Or are you saying that cyclists ride so badly that it's somehow understandable that drivers decide to run them down?

C'mon Lucky Luke you know EXACTLY that that's not what I'm saying! How could you suggest that I think its right for motorists to mow down cyclists?? All I'm saying is that its setting a bad example and giving cyclists a bad rap! Motorists don't give a damn about those of us that obey the rules but the minute a cyclist does something risky or stupid they jump on the wagon and say "see! look how reckless they are!"

Jeez talk about being shot down by you every time I have an opinion. Bloody hell.

I still feel we need to start making better use of Bellville Velodrome as track is a fantastic and versatile way to train for both road and MTB. Problem is access to track bikes which few people have. I know Jaco Scholtz of TrackCyclingSA is doing fantastic work introducing more and more people to the track with rental bikes. I really feel that that could be a possible solution.

C'mon Lucky Luke you know EXACTLY that that's not what I'm saying! How could you suggest that I think its right for motorists to mow down cyclists?? All I'm saying is that its setting a bad example and giving cyclists a bad rap! Motorists don't give a damn about those of us that obey the rules but the minute a cyclist does something risky or stupid they jump on the wagon and say "see! look how reckless they are!"

Jeez talk about being shot down by you every time I have an opinion. Bloody hell.

No issue with you personally bud, just struggling to follow your logic. I have to ask again, how does bellville velodrome help us to remain safe? What is this thread about exactly?

As long as cyclists and motorists share the roads the danger will persist. It is not worth the risk. Ride offroad.

We need more adds like the one on Supersport about "my sport". The only way is to make the motorist (viewer) actually relate to a family member (friend or someone he looks up to and respects) who also cycles.... This will hopefully make him think that it can actually be someone he knows before driving recklessly past cyclists next time...

In my view there is a lot of hate & anger due to higher stress levels these days and most people take it out when they are in a position of authority like car vs bike...... That's just how it is......... I have seen guys that I know drive like an absolute d@@s only to see that same guy at a braai that same freaking evening being the kindest softest bloke imaginable while his child is sitting on his lap......

Then we also need a billionaire (or Lotto grant) to build a 40km circular tar road exclusively for cyclists/runners/walkers close too every major city/town in SA......