Your Enduro ride

RockCoach

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+100 on the dropper.

Until around March, I wasn't convinced, especially taking into account how expensive they are. That all changed after I got a Reverb. Like pretty much everyone says, once you've used a dropper you won't ever ride without one.

I can get the normal Reverb for R4000 from LBS.

Stealth is a bit steep at R4600

Not too long ago it was almost R800 cheaper

I look at these prices and just cannot comprehend.

I bought a Giant Contact Switch, it is 100mm drop so if you really have to have 125mm it will be too short. But it can be run in normal or as a stealth dropper. I have compared the play with a reverb and it is basically the same. Non hydraulic so no air issues with leaks or bubbles, have seen 2 guys with these exact problems albeit the air bubbles was at installation but it still meant he had a really expensive and heavy seatpost for a 50km event.

Best of all I paid R2100.

Just saying, it is also an option.

I bought a Giant Contact Switch, it is 100mm drop so if you really have to have 125mm it will be too short. But it can be run in normal or as a stealth dropper. I have compared the play with a reverb and it is basically the same. Non hydraulic so no air issues with leaks or bubbles, have seen 2 guys with these exact problems albeit the air bubbles was at installation but it still meant he had a really expensive and heavy seatpost for a 50km event.

Also got one on my Trance... Only a few months old, but no issues so far.

+100 on the dropper.

Until around March, I wasn't convinced, especially taking into account how expensive they are. That all changed after I got a Reverb. Like pretty much everyone says, once you've used a dropper you won't ever ride without one.

Amazing how you get used to it. Took it off my Zula for the Epic, simply cos I was scared of possible maintenance issues during the event. But jeesh, was it a weird 7 days without being able to quickly drop the post when you suddenly hit a few techy sections. Anyway, like everyone says, Reverb for the win.

I have the std Giant dropper ie no stealth option. I have modified mine using a left hand 2x shifter to activate it. This transforms the user experience - the shifter has far greater leverage and remains unaffected by dirt in the cable which renders the OE lever useless after a few dirty rides. The position under the bar is also even better. My only gripe is the 100mm drop. On my last race I lowered the post by 25mm or so and it helped a lot. Generally though 100mm is ok.

I like the way the Fox DOSS post operates, some say the infinitely adjustable posts ftw but the fox is 40mm down/post just out the way or all the way down, that's all I really want. Seems they are virtually built proof, could find virtually no complaints or niggles/issues on the webs. They use air chamber to rise and bearings to lock the post in each position, so not as complex as the hydraulic posts. They were on special for less than R3k at Cwc but that being said the Doss at full price over R4k I'd probably just get a reverb, more maintenance than a Doss perhaps but fully rebuildable and widely used so not a train smash get get spares or repairs.

Some respect from Hans Rey and Brian Lopes for Nino Scheurter for riding with his seatpost up :-) They lost the bet with him that he could not ride the trials in Laguna with his seat up.

But for the ordinary and the not so ordinary amongst (Lopes and Rey) us, a dropper is a great investment.

Edit: Made the pics smaller.

post-3077-0-76501500-1414680460_thumb.png

post-3077-0-44418300-1414680470_thumb.png

When I got the Zula I already put a 120mm fork on :)  it's the 27.5 Zula and got her in March this year.

erm.. I have a 45mm stem on..

will have to check bar width

I have 2.25 tyres on.. (I think.. if I can remember correctly)

Don't change anything further - just roll the Zula down the hill and have fun. If you like the format consider a more purpose built bike. But, for now, enjoy the bike you have...

i dunno if the dropper conversation has finished yet...

but you guys are getting my opinion anyway.

at 1.93m ive been get called tall more than id prefer. anyway i have a large gt force with a CB joplin 4 (not as bad as everyone says, easier to service than most cinderblocks, hasnt let me down yet) with 100mm travel.

now all my height is in my legs, which means that if i had the dropper that i really wanted... it would have approx 20cm of travel.

but not everyone needs all that! if you are normal height then depending on the standover and size of your frame a 100mm would be fine, 125mm bordering on perfect/too much

think of it as a percentage of your leg length, also look at how high your seat is now and when youre going down a hill and the difference probably wont be as much as you suspect, ive had to compromise, my seat is still pretty high going down a hill, but ive learnt to live with it.

thats my seat down....

10410244_652072724876938_177552824818223

at 1.93m ive been get called tall more than id prefer. anyway i have a large gt force with a CB joplin 4 (not as bad as everyone says, easier to service than most cinderblocks, hasnt let me down yet) with 100mm travel.

now all my height is in my legs, which means that if i had the dropper that i really wanted... it would have approx 20cm of travel.

but not everyone needs all that! if you are normal height then depending on the standover and size of your frame a 100mm would be fine, 125mm bordering on perfect/too much

think of it as a percentage of your leg length, also look at how high your seat is now and when youre going down a hill and the difference probably wont be as much as you suspect, ive had to compromise, my seat is still pretty high going down a hill, but ive learnt to live with it.

thats my seat down....

10410244_652072724876938_177552824818223

I thought that was extended!!!

You must crap yourself when it's up and you have to climb on the front brakes.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WsrSGHNfbOI/Sdo3L5b_noI/AAAAAAAAAVY/N7WJBMzH4AU/duty_calls_thumb.png?imgmax=800

HAHAHA - 

But wow dude - what drop have you got on that post? Cus that thing is MILES out ... Shouldnt you be on a XL?? Cus I was on a Large Force and I am 1.8 ... and my seat was also quite far out.

Gen, if hubby is DIY capable, go look here I have also seen another ghetto conversion that used a gas strut inside the seat tube here

There are alternatives...  :ph34r:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WsrSGHNfbOI/Sdo3L5b_noI/AAAAAAAAAVY/N7WJBMzH4AU/duty_calls_thumb.png?imgmax=800

HAHAHA -

But wow dude - what drop have you got on that post? Cus that thing is MILES out ... Shouldnt you be on a XL?? Cus I was on a Large Force and I am 1.8 ... and my seat was also quite far out.

100mm drop, and yes - he should be on an XL. I tell him every time I talk to him...

Archived