The 100th Edition Of The Tour de France: Chirps, Opinions, News, Updates.

'Dale

Pick the yellow and green jersey winners.  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Who will reign in Yellow?

• Froome Dawg (Sky)
    • Contador (Saxo Tinkoff)
    • A Schleck, Radioshack
    • Evans (BMC)
    • Uran (Sky)
    • Tejay (BMC)
    • Gesink (Blanco)
    • Hesjedal (Garmin Sharp
    • Valverde (Movistar)
    • J Rodriquez (Katusha)
    • Suprize package!
  2. 2. Who will reign in Green?

• Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cycling)
    • Cav' (Omega Pharma Quickstep)
    • Greipel (Lotto Bellisol)
    • Bouhanni (FDJ)
    • Goss (Orica-Greenedge)
    • Surprize package?

Not really. What else was he going to say - he rides for them in the olympics, is team leader for whatn is pretty much the uk flag carrying tea, and was asked by a UK journolist. He is a product of Africa and comes here when he can - he pretty much is never in the UK. As you say - being African can be a state of mind and Froome has said before that once retired he will come back to Africa.

Thank you, I fully appreciate his obligation to paint himself as a Brit. I am not so sure I appreciate his decision to remove Africa from that picture entirely. Yeah, he gave the British reporter the answer that he thinks the British public want to hear... good for him. What will his response be when its an African journalist? Shouldn't the answer to the question be constant and irrespective of the nationality of the journalist? If it changes to pander to the nationality of the audience then the public are entitled to treat him and his nationality with a healthy measure of scepticism.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, I fully appreciate his obligation to paint himself as a Brit. I am not so sure I appreciate his decision to remove Africa from that picture entirely. Yeah, he gave the British reporter the answer that he thinks the British public want to hear... good for him. What will his response be when its an African journalist? Shouldn't the answer to the question be constant and irrespective of the nationality of the journalist? If it changes to pander to the nationality of the audience then the public are entitled to treat him and his nationality with a healthy measure of scepticism.

Actually, when SA jorno's ask him or make jokes about him really being South African, he chuckles and points out that he is in fact British but comes here whenever he can etc. i.e he replies factually and diplomatically but not in any way that would contradict the fact that he has the Union flag next to his name when he is competing. Edited by dracs

Great racing yesterday! Why must the attacks always be on the steepest climbs? Think back to last week when the crosswind and the attack split the peleton. When last did you see an attack on the descent? Berto might be getting desperate but there is no harm in trying and it makes for fantastic viewing. Now if Schleck can pack his chute away and Evans find some legs we can have a proper race :whistling:

Yip, why take on a mountaingoat in the mountains....race him on the downs and the flats. So all is fair.

Yeah, I think we want him more to be a Saffa than he really cares. Did we claim Andrew Mehrtens (was actually BORN here) etc.?

Cycling News HD@CyclingNews_HD1m

Reports that Jean Christophe Peraud broke his collar bone during his recce of the time trial course this morning. #TDF #TDF100

That is rough! He was in the top 10

Wow, if only Froome had the time to read this thread then he would really know how to race. And then we could teach him how to be hard as well. I mean how soft cock was that ride up vontoux?

Yeah, such an irony on many levels.

There's the old saying "races are rarely won on a descent, but they can be lost"

Basically, theres risk and theres calculated risk. Berto is a strong climber and has a reputation as a fearless descender. Arguably pushed it a bit yesterday. He's in the top 3 as well and looking to gain, so Froome is certainly going to be on him.

Actually, when SA jorno's ask him or make jokes about him really being South African, he chuckles and points out that he is in fact British but comes here whenever he can etc. i.e he replies factually and diplomatically but not in any way that would contradict the fact that he has the Union flag next to his name when he is competing.

Agree to disagree.

I look forward to hearing his answer to the question "do you consider yourself to be an African?" cause right now I'm hearing a lot of "I like the place but no."

Mikkel Condé v2.0@mrconde4m

Regarding bike changes. OPQS' Rolf Aldag tells Danish newspaper that Tony Martin will change bike 3 (!!) times during the time trial.

That sounds crazy? That's easily a minute lost... surely not?

PR Stunt, or a bit of gamesmanship? :whistling:

most of the guys were doing this in the tour of California this year - but just one change as the TT there finished on a big climb - so TT bike to the foot fo the climb, then quick change to a road bike with light wheels... about 10 or 15 seconds lost - apparently more than that gained ont he climb.

But ja - 3 changes seems a bit much!

We're hearing that Chris Froome will only change his bike once today - at the top of the second climb and ahead of the long 12km downhill towards the finish. Remember, Froome will not get his ITT going until much later today - at 15:33 UK time.

Confirmed fracture, but he's hoping to try carry on...

Good news for French fans: Jean Christophe Peraud will take to the start after all. He crashed this morning and cracked his collarbone, but will continue the Tour - or at least, start today's ITT and see how it goes. He's 9th on GC at the moment.

He is not South African. If he wanted to be one he would have changed his nationality to South African and not British. Total bull**** that we take him as a South African. Good on you Chris making the best decision

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Agree to disagree.

I look forward to hearing his answer to the question "do you consider yourself to be an African?" cause right now I'm hearing a lot of "I like the place but no."

semantics, but ja sure agree to disagree :thumbup: . i don't require him to commit himself to be an African first and something else second to identify with him and support him - but thats just me.

most of the guys were doing this in the tour of California this year - but just one change as the TT there finished on a big climb - so TT bike to the foot fo the climb, then quick change to a road bike with light wheels... about 10 or 15 seconds lost - apparently more than that gained ont he climb.

But ja - 3 changes seems a bit much!

We'll know in about 55 minutes time, as he has just taken off.