2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

On the entry fee story - yes it has increased fairly substantially, but so have the costs of running this event, it really is a logistical feat of note - and there is currently no headline sponsor.

I have never met anybody who didn't feel that they got their monies worth and a whole lot more - its actually quite difficult to describe the experience you go through - its hard to buy that sort of therapy........

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and just like every year i will be glued to it!

my blanket is almost 5 years old now, it's out the cupboard and on the couch.

on the couch in front of the tv? Is it on tv?

Nope not on TV I am afraid, best way to follow is on twitter (@freedom_trail) or facebook: freedom challenge.

Couple of contenders (dark horses) just left city hall in C batch

Edited by Dusty

Day 2:

Still no drama unfolded yesterday on Day 2 at this stage with Batch B having left Pmb and Batch A headed off from Allendale to Ntsikini – they spent most of the day climbing to get there.

Rob and Roy in Batch B arrived at Allendale at 21h40, that’s a nearly 14 hr day for Day 1, apparently they had some tyre issues – hope its all sorted last night and they have an easier day today.

In Batch A Bruce Hughes has some racing pedigree, but appears to be riding with his dad Charles, who seems to be no slouch either, they have Peter Stephens with them who also looks very determined this year after his disappointment at not finishing last year.

Batch A moved on to Ntsikeni which is a world heritage site high up in the foothills of the Drakensberg, it is well known for two things, the rare bird species which breed there and the cold – last night the riders would have had their first real taste of the hardship that the cold can be.

Trying to function and get moving at 5am in the cold is a whole new routine. But as the sun comes up, it all changes and you see grown men who have been sniveling and moaning start to enjoy life and the freedom they have to ride their bike the whole day.

In terms of the race, there are no contenders on the route at this stage, with everybody following the plan, which is often the case as guys play it safe for this part of the race and stick to reaching the support stations at night and staying over, reason being that the navigation can be tricky up until Rhodes and it’s a waste of energy and time to wander around plantations at night unless you really know where you are going.

(see also www.freedomchallenge.org.za or freedomchallenge on facebook)

Photo is of Ntsikeni communal hall, (the main feature is the lack of anything green or leafy – its just too cold there most of the time for that).

post-1509-0-30658900-1370929163_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-78658200-1370929167_thumb.jpg

Day 2:

Still no drama unfolded yesterday on Day 2 at this stage with Batch B having left Pmb and Batch A headed off from Allendale to Ntsikini – they spent most of the day climbing to get there.

Rob and Roy in Batch B arrived at Allendale at 21h40, that’s a nearly 14 hr day for Day 1, apparently they had some tyre issues – hope its all sorted last night and they have an easier day today.

In Batch A Bruce Hughes has some racing pedigree, but appears to be riding with his dad Charles, who seems to be no slouch either, they have Peter Stephens with them who also looks very determined this year after his disappointment at not finishing last year.

Batch A moved on to Ntsikeni which is a world heritage site high up in the foothills of the Drakensberg, it is well known for two things, the rare bird species which breed there and the cold – last night the riders would have had their first real taste of the hardship that the cold can be.

Trying to function and get moving at 5am in the cold is a whole new routine. But as the sun comes up, it all changes and you see grown men who have been sniveling and moaning start to enjoy life and the freedom they have to ride their bike the whole day.

In terms of the race, there are no contenders on the route at this stage, with everybody following the plan, which is often the case as guys play it safe for this part of the race and stick to reaching the support stations at night and staying over, reason being that the navigation can be tricky up until Rhodes and it’s a waste of energy and time to wander around plantations at night unless you really know where you are going.

(see also www.freedomchallenge.org.za or freedomchallenge on facebook)

Photo is of Ntsikeni communal hall, (the main feature is the lack of anything green or leafy – its just too cold there most of the time for that).

thanks for the updates - keep them coming.

Thanks for the updates. I am finding it difficult to follow the various riders. Does the tracking not work this year? I noticed a few names on the tracking page from last year. Not much of an issue right now as they are all still pretty much in their start batches, but by the weekend things will heat up out there.

Day 3:

Day 3 was certainly the day when the action started, Batch C included some strong riders with two in particular, John Loos and Paul Erasmus making it clear that they were racing, they shot past Allendale support station in the late afternoon and headed into the forestry plantations with fading light. The significance of this is that they knew what they were doing – because even in the daytime one forestry road looks like another and one can spend hours wandering around those logging roads – in the pitch dark it’s a whole different story with shadows chasing you… They had obviously done their homework and were through the forests and on to the mission station at Centacow. Centacow is an intermediate support station for those who decide to skip one and look for some sort of in between shelter for the night, in this case it is a great option with some superb accommodation (interior has a sort of art deco, pastel colour scheme – yes in a mission station). But given their intention, this is not what they are after – they will want food and a couple of hours of necessary sleep before they are off again.

The second thing was that two guys, Rob and Roy in Batch B who did the 14 hour day on day one, they also stopped at Centacow for the night, ie they didn’t make support station 2 at Ntsikeni. Why this is notable is that they have had one 14 hr day and one shorter day and they are now behind the race. It may be technical issues, but it is likely to be that they are on a different pace and have different expectations. What is sure is that they are still in the race and they have every chance still of making Paarl, but they are going to have to be mentally strong and show a lot of resolve as any setback in this event is really tough as it plays on you mentally when you are already at your physical limits. Added to this is that you have to deal with it on your own – if you have mechanical issues, you need to find a solution quickly, if you have navigation issues, you need to hang onto those who know where they are going and if you are just physically battling – well its 3 weeks long, if you can hang in, you will be fit by week 3! So let’s see their resolve.

Finally, today sees the start of multiple previous winner and mtb legend Tim James, who is only going as far as Rhodes this year, but a new addition to the race is the Race to Rhodes and it looks like Tim is after that record. Last year Martin Dreyer set a new record in blitzing through to Rhodes in 2 days, 7hours and 50 mins, bear in mind most sensible riders take 6 days to get there. So if there are any riders in Batch D looking for a very fast guide – they could try and hang on to Tim, just bear in mind he finished third in the 50-59 age cat at the recent SA marathon champs.

As an aside – good luck to my mate Eric Tollner starting today – he is a very accomplished trail runner who is learning to ride an mtb, if he could only stop taking photos he might be quite fast. Follow him here (https://www.facebook...reedomChallenge he racing for Cows – raising funds for children with cancer. Another interesting one was the start of Barry Futter yesterday – a big wave surfer of note from Hout Bay – more adept at Dungeons, but going well at this stage.

Last thing – check out another SA cycling legend Robbie Mac’s bike – he is apparently in great form – not sure if those TT bars are to time trial to Paarl or too hook every wattle tree he passes – time will tell. Rigid forks seem to be getting popular – weight and speed – I still need to be convinced.

post-1509-0-43006200-1371012705_thumb.jpg

the tracker story is a bit of a mystery to me too - I will see if I can get some sort of idea from the race office whats going on, for now the only two that are racing are John Loos and Paul Erasmus, Tim James will also be one to watch today

My baby. Starting tomorrow.

Dusty

Can you Give us a view of what you have packed in your rucksack and on your bike, and what you plan to cycle in.

How minimalistic have you managed to get it ?

Finally, today sees the start of multiple previous winner and mtb legend Tim James, who is only going as far as Rhodes this year, but a new addition to the race is the Race to Rhodes and it looks like Tim is after that record. Last year Martin Dreyer set a new record in blitzing through to Rhodes in 2 days, 7hours and 50 mins, bear in mind most sensible riders take 6 days to get there. So if there are any riders in Batch D looking for a very fast guide – they could try and hang on to Tim, just bear in mind he finished third in the 50-59 age cat at the recent SA marathon champs.

*** a baksteen, that is blerrdie fast - rhodes hotel might be full of racers chasing that time..

looks like singlespeed guy is following his tail (seems to have ignored my warnings to take it easy on the first day).

eish the tracker is too much of tired. twitter is the way to go.

Last thing – check out another SA cycling legend Robbie Mac’s bike – he is apparently in great form – not sure if those TT bars are to time trial to Paarl or too hook every wattle tree he passes – time will tell. Rigid forks seem to be getting popular – weight and speed – I still need to be convinced.

TT bars more of a tourdivide set-up. not enough flat sections to make them work imho.

looks like he might have a bivvy sack set-up, is he planning on rough camping?