XX1 and Knee Pain

DBK

1 - Get your fitting right and

2 - Fix your ITB......

Start with doing the ITB stretch at your desk - every hour...

Sit upright on a chair - feet on floor and knees bent at 90 degrees

Left ankle on right knee

Using both hands pull the left knee across to the right and towards the right shoulder, keeping the ankle on the right knee.

You should feel the stretch occurring in the left hip/buttock area - experiment with the angle of pull until you get to feel the stretching in that area

Hold for 60 sec

Change sides and repeat - 2 reps each side every hour.

If you really have ITB (and not a different injury) - your symptoms should start improving in a week or so.

You might well notice a difference between left and right sides as to how much the knee moves across the center line - the less it moves across the centreline, the more likely you will have ITB on that side.

Proper advice from the hub?

Thanks Doc.

Strange getting assistance and not opinion. Been a while since I saw any sense around here

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way it's the gears , the granny with the 32 is pretty much what a 2by10 will give u with a 26/36 . Or close as dammit .

Also double check your cleats , could also be a issue

Reckon your mate must be having you on. 32 chainring on a XX1 setup is not big.

This will be setup related. Specifically cleats or saddle I would say.

Helpmytrap asked an interesting question? Is this your first mtb? And you've upgraded to or got it with XX1...? Lucky chap.

Edited by Ryanpmb

I think the knee pain is a referred pain. Mostly referred from your crippled bank balance after you bought the XX1.

Or it can be that the bank manager has a voodoo doll with your name on it. And he sticks pins into the voodoo doll knees.

The other possibility is that your wife is poisoning you slowly because you went and bought the XX1 even after she told you not to. :ph34r:

Or it can be set up.

What cadence are you spinning at when on the steep stuff on the 42? Really grinding below 65?

No way. I don't have a cadence sensor for my MTB. But there is no way I'm below 65. I would say I'm up at least 80s-90s.

Reckon your mate must be having you on. 32 chainring on a XX1 setup is not big.

This will be setup related. Specifically cleats or saddle I would say.

Helpmytrap asked an interesting question? Is this your first mtb? And you've upgraded to or got it with XX1...? Lucky chap.

I've heard cleats many times. What would be the problem with the cleats? And yes, its my first MTB. I have no experience with 2x10.

I'll try and get into a proper set-up this week. Have heard that ErgoFit is good...

I've heard cleats many times. What would be the problem with the cleats? And yes, its my first MTB. I have no experience with 2x10.

I'll try and get into a proper set-up this week. Have heard that ErgoFit is good...

Correct cleat alignment ensures your legs (knees, hips etc) are pedaling in such a way as to not cause any damage or pain. It'll basically be an adjustment of the cleat on the shoe (forwards, backwards or side to side rotation) or possible a shoe adjustment with an insert.

As you are not grinding the gears XX1 has nothing to do with your pain. Look elsewhere. But it was a nice red herring to use so we all now know you have a XX1 setup!

What length is your new crank? If you have changed the length then thats probably the cause. If this is the case, have a full setup done again as your knee angle will be significantly different.

With regards to cleats, it will only make a difference if you are using new pedals?

I highly doubt a 32 will cause the problem... a 32/42 ratio is pretty close to a 28/36 on a 10x2.

No way. I don't have a cadence sensor for my MTB. But there is no way I'm below 65. I would say I'm up at least 80s-90s.

That hardly qualifies as grinding, dude. Grinding is in the region of 50-60 RPM