XX1 and Knee Pain

DBK

So I recently put XX1 on my hard tail. I'm running a 32 front ring.

I've been getting pain in my left knee after about 50km of riding and one of my buddies thinks its because the ratio is so large. He figures its causing me to grind up the climbs with too much for my knee to handle.

I've been cycling for a while, mostly road, and have some good power. Riding elite this year.

Thoughts? Could it be that the granny gear in my XX1 is too large and causing my knee pain? Would swapping to a standard 2x10 be the answer?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I recently put XX1 on my hard tail. I'm running a 32 front ring.

I've been getting pain in my left knee after about 50km of riding and one of my buddies thinks its because the ratio is so large. He figures its causing me to grind up the climbs with too much for my knee to handle.

I've been cycling for a while, mostly road, and have some good power. Riding elite this year.

Thoughts? Could it be that the granny gear in my XX1 is too large and causing my knee pain? Would swapping to a standard 2x10 be the answer?

What 2 x 10 setup would you be comparing it to?

So then don't consider ss. Also stuffed my left knee up.

Gone back to geared bike while I mend

I also had some knee pain when I first had my SS, have lifted the seat a bit (about 1cm more than I normally ride on my other bikes) and no issues since then ... anecdotal I guess so may not work for everyone?

What 2 x 10 setup would you be comparing it to?

None really. I'm new to MTB.

I very much doubt it is the XX1. If you have never done so I would get a professional setup done. Debbie at Trail&Tar is very good. Otherwise I would worry about ITB. I fail to see how it could be your crank though!!

I have chronic ITB issues in that knee. Can hardly run anymore. But I can ride the league rides on the road without any issue at all.

Did you get your new MTB and then upgrade to XX1 or did you get your first MTB with XX1?

It's probably a setup issue. And usually I find that I crank out heavier gears on my road bike then I do on the MTB.

I almost 100% agree with two options....firstly each body is unique and I strongly suspect your cleat alignment....and the second suggestion is go for a proper set up...I am sure your pains will be something of the past. Happy cycling

You can play with all the gears in the world and you will find that your knee problem is most likely a set-up issue or a case of overdoing it.

A 32 with that whopper of a satellite dish hardly qualifies as a heavy knee-buster.

Is the Q-factor the same as previous cranks?

Is the crank length the same?

What's your weight?

I have chronic ITB issues in that knee. Can hardly run anymore. But I can ride the league rides on the road without any issue at all.

1 - Get your fitting right and

2 - Fix your ITB......

Start with doing the ITB stretch at your desk - every hour...

Sit upright on a chair - feet on floor and knees bent at 90 degrees

Left ankle on right knee

Using both hands pull the left knee across to the right and towards the right shoulder, keeping the ankle on the right knee.

You should feel the stretch occurring in the left hip/buttock area - experiment with the angle of pull until you get to feel the stretching in that area

Hold for 60 sec

Change sides and repeat - 2 reps each side every hour.

If you really have ITB (and not a different injury) - your symptoms should start improving in a week or so.

You might well notice a difference between left and right sides as to how much the knee moves across the center line - the less it moves across the centreline, the more likely you will have ITB on that side.