Stuck Carbon Seatpost in Carbon Frame

rad006

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought only carbon and alu where a problem not carbon on carbon?

I have heard that one should not use carbon crease when inserting seatpost. This will cause seatpost to get stuck in frame. Is this true?

I have heard that one should not use carbon crease when inserting seatpost. This will cause seatpost to get stuck in frame. Is this true?

Are you referring to Grease or Carbon Assembly Paste? My experience is the assembly past does not solidify but assists in preventing "slip"

My guess is that you're going to have to cut it (the seatpost) off and insert a "puller"/ pull hammer....yes I know it's carbon so work carefully. Said tool will probably need to be made for the job.

The puller has an OD smaller than the ID of the seatpost, but it has a lip that protrudes, enabling you to get some purchase under the bottom end of the seatpost. If you can get it under the bottom of the seatpost, start tapping gently to try and free it. You want to avoid chipping the bottom of the seatpost and hence destroying any chance of pulling it out.

Another option may be to cut it of flush with the seat tube and push it down into the frame (assuming it has a clear bore and that there aren't any intrusions. Measure carefully before considering this option.

Not so sure that the freezer option is going to do much.

Good luck.

PS My carbon consultant says try Q20 and a heatgun first, but you've done that.

Edited by johannrissik

I was thinking of cutting it and then sawing into its side so it would release?

You cut it as you say, or rather you HAVE to cut it as you say. But if it will release that is the question.... As per my previous post... if it does not release you gonna have to break it out piece by piece... Unfortunately there aint any short cut..... Once its fused together its fused together.....

You could do that, but it would require max caution... when cutting an aluminium seatpost out of a steel frame, I attached magnet so that the filings fell onto the magnet. If any stayed on the magnet, then I was cutting steel and not aluminium. Simple. Unfortunately you don't have that option with them both being carbon ;)

I made a tool that was basically a hacksaw blade broken in half and then both bits set into a groove in a 16mm bar, facing opposite directions. Cuts on both strokes, the cutting action becomes more like filing than cutting.

Elbow grease plays a big part, as does patience!

Guest Latent Blue
Please don't!
why not... a trained person that render a service for which he is paid, no? If a person come to me with a cold, I dont say wtf why do you come with something that I cant do anything with... I help give relief and send them on their way...

Just a thought

If you want to try a slide hammer puller first - I have one - pm me - it will probably mean cutting the seatpost, but I guess by now you are beyond caring about that.

I also have a couple of strap wrenches we could try to twist it out with - also worth a shot.