Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

I crack it on my knuckle. :wacko:

So yesterday, my son decides to make boil eggs for breakfast. He boils them leaves them and makes toast. After the eggs cooled he puts them in cold water. He peels them and half the egg still stuck to the shell.

So immediately when you eggs are done and still piping hot, dump them in cold water. This will/should see to it that the shell doesnt stick.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So yesterday, my son decides to make boil eggs for breakfast. He boils them leaves them and makes toast. After the eggs cooled he puts them in cold water. He peels them and half the egg still stuck to the shell.

So immediately when you eggs are done and still piping hot, dump them in cold water. This will/should see to it that the shell doesnt stick.

have done that but it makes no difference.

Have now found a solution - I crack the shell slightly before putting the egg in the cold water

Have now found a solution - I crack the shell slightly before putting the egg in the cold water

How could I forget. We use an egg boiler, and u have to make a small pinhole in it. SO ja basically....

never have issues with the below method:

• boil as per normal in plain water
  • take off heat
  • run cold water for a about a minute while egg is still in the pot
  • crack the egg - properly (lightly bash it against kitchen counter)
  • chuck egg back in the water
  • and begin to peel
  • every time you feel the shell sticking to the egg, put it back in the water and carry on
  • trick is to get the little membrane between the egg and the shell off with the shell and not sticking to the egg. Water helps with this.

I peel an egg in 5 -10 seconds this way and don't waste any egg with the shell.

Rocket science it is not

• 1 month later...

So this time of the year with the kids afternoon activities have basically come to and end.. and while they study i bake.

And yesterday I tried a crustless new york cheesecake .. don't think I have ever been so nervous about a baking project. .it was rather tricky as I have never used the bain-marie method before.. but I tell you what.. it came out really nice.. has a little bit of water seepage and I think I over beat the filling just a bit..cause it had some cracks.... but all in all I am calling it a success.

The 2 erm cuts in the middle is where I tested to see if it was cooked.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/25aa4a4607ac574fb31a383f91d0e9f4.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/4ba4fa075f9b86cff4ad2153c04985ea.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/2d701c9476364e53cd54e953da6daee6.jpg

Edited by Gen

So this time of the year with the kids afternoon activities have basically come to and end.. and while they study i bake.

And yesterday I tried a crustless new york cheesecake .. don't think I have ever been so nervous about a baking project. .it was rather tricky as I have never used the bain-marie method before.. but I tell you what.. it came out really nice.. has a little bit of water seepage and I think I over beat the filling just a bit..cause it had some cracks.... but all in all I am calling it a success.

Pitchers!!!

Edit: I see them now. Nice!

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• 1 month later...

The 2 erm cuts in the middle is where I tested to see if it was cooked.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/25aa4a4607ac574fb31a383f91d0e9f4.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/4ba4fa075f9b86cff4ad2153c04985ea.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/2d701c9476364e53cd54e953da6daee6.jpg

Nice one gen, the cracks around the edges mean it's been slightly over cooked. The way to know that your cheesecake is baked, is to gently shake the dish. There should be a slight 'wobble' in the centre of the cake, which will then continue to cook in the 'cooling down' process.

Looks yummy though  :)

edit: spelling

Edited by Nancy Drew

After 3 weeks - the wait was killing me!!!!

Its pretty good, could be a little drier for consumption as is - but will be great for cooking with.

I went a little heavy with the pepper, but its not unpleasant - kind of like a German pepper salami - nice with a Merlot on such a chilly day!

I'll give the next one another 2 weeks before I take it down.

@FrankieKnuckles - Would using a homemade Biltong dryer(Black box with lightbuld and computer fan) work for hanging and drying the Prancetta? If yes how long would you leave the lightbuld on for?

Edited by Stiglitz86

@FrankieKnuckles - Would using a homemade Biltong dryer(Black box with lightbuld and computer fan) work for hanging and drying the Prancetta? If yes how long would you leave the lightbuld on for?

Yes, it would. Not sure as to how long to put the light on for, but it's the same general procedure as biltong - just slightly longer as Pancetta is a thicker slab of meat. 

Yes, it would. Not sure as to how long to put the light on for, but it's the same general procedure as biltong - just slightly longer as Pancetta is a thicker slab of meat. 

You carved up any animals lately, Myles? 

Edited by Tumbleweed

You carved up any animals lately, Myles? 

Nope. Not since that first one. Don't know what the problem is, but I assume it's drought-related. Not wanting to affect the supply that much. Or maybe they've only seen juvies or alphas or something.