Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

one recipe to definitely try is:

ostrich steak on a potato rosti with green beans and seared asparagus spears served with an amarula sauce

season ostrich steak with salt and pepper and sear in a griddle pan till medium rear. let steak rest (very important)

boil grean beans in water till al dente, fry in pan with a bit of butter and add lots of crushed black pepper

wrap asparagus spears in parma ham and grill in oven till parma ham is crispy, add some Parmesan shavings.

fry potato rostis till golden brown, (keep warm in warming drawer till ready to plate)

Amarula sauce:

add 300ml amarula to saucepan and bring to a soft boil, add good beef stock to taste, season gently and reduce.

plate and enjoy with a good Merlot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one recipe to definitely try is:

ostrich steak on a potato rosti with green beans and seared asparagus spears served with an amarula sauce

season ostrich steak with salt and pepper and sear in a griddle pan till medium rear. let steak rest (very important)

boil grean beans in water till al dente, fry in pan with a bit of butter and add lots of crushed black pepper

wrap asparagus spears in parma ham and grill in oven till parma ham is crispy, add some Parmesan shavings.

fry potato rostis till golden brown, (keep warm in warming drawer till ready to plate)

Amarula sauce:

add 300ml amarula to saucepan and bring to a soft boil, add good beef stock to taste, season gently and reduce.

plate and enjoy with a good Merlot

Jis, sounds lekker man!

Parmesan crisps…

They are simple and go well with anything. Hot oven. Grated cheese. Grease-proof paper. Pop cheese on paper in mounds. Should take more that a few moments. Can be done in a teflon pan too.

Parmesan crisps…

They are simple and go well with anything. Hot oven. Grated cheese. Grease-proof paper. Pop cheese on paper in mounds. Should take more that a few moments. Can be done in a teflon pan too.

njom njom...maybe with a sundry tomato, basil pesto and sour cream tri-colour dip....lekkkkkkerrrrrr!

Oh and they must really compliment lager :whistling:

njom njom...maybe with a sundry tomato, basil pesto and sour cream tri-colour dip....lekkkkkkerrrrrr!

Oh and they must really compliment lager :whistling:

Lager compliments a lot of food! :thumbup:

Ooooooh, now you have me thinking about beer and food pairings…

the best meal beer for me has to be Kilkenny, works well with everything! especially redmeat

A mate of mine wrote a cookery book in conjunction with the SAB World of Beer and the Hotel School some years back. I must dig it out of my beer book library.

Tip when making potato rosti

Boil potatoes (must still be firm) the day before and refrigerate them. Then grate them the next day.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: very good tip

A mate of mine wrote a cookery book in conjunction with the SAB World of Beer and the Hotel School some years back. I must dig it out of my beer book library.

would love to get my hands on that book! i collect cook books, that would be a great book to add to the collection,

have you ever used beer in cooking? i have made a beer bread before ( not that great) and a Guinness stew

Yoghurt came out great. I prefer the sweetened variety. So I think I am going to play with the recipe Joe. Super excited. Thanks buddy.

Cool.

Just get down to your local Tuisnywerheid or farm stall and get sone good homemade strawberry jam. Mix a spoon or two into a bowl of joghurt. That is my daily breakfasy with some added apple and banana.

would love to get my hands on that book! i collect cook books, that would be a great book to add to the collection,

have you ever used beer in cooking? i have made a beer bread before ( not that great) and a Guinness stew

Use beer often. Try it with a risotto instead of wine. Mushrooms and chopped up pork rashers go well with a darker of full-bodied beer.

Edit: Oh, and of course, a rarebit isn't a rarebit without beer…

Edited by Tumbleweed