Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Just got my book - in the charcuterie. Lots of reading to do, but my first attempts Will be a prosciutto and a coppa (pork neck)

Hey Captain - how's it going? Any pig hanging yet?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A prosciutto is a BIG commitment - draining and proper bleeding, 35 days of brining, and at least a year of hanging, because of the sheer size. My opinion is to try the pancetta first to get the hang of it. Even the coppa is quite tricky for beginners apparently.

But coppa is also definitely my next project.

But good luck, whichever one you try - its a great new hobby!

Oh by the way, made some fresh goats milk cheese this weekend also.

Nice with the pancetta on toasted ciabatta!

sorry, I meant pancetta! 

Just got a new toy - an Anova immersion heater. I brought it back from the States.

It allows you to do Sous Vide but at a much lower entry cost than the traditional Immersion Bath Cooker which costs you R 12k entry level.

It work beautifully - I did a whole chicken yesterday for the first time - it cooked for 6 hours at 65 Centigrade, and man was it succulent and moist inside and full of flavour.

Its quite an eye opener when you work out what the restaurants have been doing to get your food like it is.

Its also pretty depressing cause now you can do it at home (and sometimes better)  it means you dont go out as much and are critical when you do.

After 3 weeks - the wait was killing me!!!!

Its pretty good, could be a little drier for consumption as is - but will be great for cooking with.

I went a little heavy with the pepper, but its not unpleasant - kind of like a German pepper salami - nice with a Merlot on such a chilly day!

I'll give the next one another 2 weeks before I take it down.

post-72483-0-33921500-1433596425_thumb.jpg

post-72483-0-80364100-1433596445_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrankieKnuckles

Its pretty good, could be a little drier for consumption as is - but will be great for cooking with.

I went a little heavy with the pepper, but its not unpleasant - kind of like a German pepper salami - nice with a Merlot on such a chilly day!

Yum. Well done.

Glad I discovered this. Saturday is our day for eating, drinking and some more eating and drinking.

Not home made but some chirizo, salami, stuffed olives, beef biltong and gruyere cheese.

The mom' raw chocolate shake. Coconut water, banana, raw cocoa mix, dark chocolate. Cheating her diet.

post-25309-0-30067600-1433601987_thumb.jpg

post-25309-0-73286300-1433602240_thumb.jpg

Hi Frankie, what do you call that, other than friggen awesome?

Hi Frankie, what do you call that, other than friggen awesome?

Hi Ed - its a rolled pancetta - essentially an Italian dry cured bacon. But I dry it enough so you can eat it like a cured ham.

I am generally pretty awesome, but thanks!

Hi Ed - its a rolled pancetta - essentially an Italian dry cured bacon. But I dry it enough so you can eat it like a cured ham.

I am generally pretty awesome, but thanks!

I also want to make pancetta.

But help a hubber out. Where would I find pink/cuting salt in the Helderberg. Ill go as far as Northen suburbs.

I also want to make pancetta.

But help a hubber out. Where would I find pink/cuting salt in the Helderberg. Ill go as far as Northen suburbs.

P 4 Bolt Avenue, Montague Gardens

D P.O. Box 37281, Chempet, 7442

q Tel: +27 21 001 3565 / +27 21 551 4714

p Fax: +27 (0)21 551 4677

E E-mail: ct@crownnational.co.za

Its the only branch in Cape Town.

At my branch in Pta it was R26.00 for 2 kgs - it will last a while.

Edited by FrankieKnuckles

Tried a "lomo al trapo" for lunch. Dish from Columbia but saw it last weaken in newspaper. Watched some YouTube vids for pointers.

Take a dishcloth and spread lots of coarse salt on it and sprinkle oregano. Now put fillet steak on this and roll tightly. Put the package directly on the hot coals. 9 min a side gave me medium-rare and the 2nd one I did for 10 a side was medium. So changes quickly.

Meat is lovely and tender with a hint of salt and oregano. Will do this again !

post-18551-1434297703,2878.jpgpost-18551-1434297716,7451.jpgpost-18551-1434297733,1333.jpgpost-18551-1434297746,4058.jpg

Tried a "lomo al trapo" for lunch. Dish from Columbia but saw it last weaken in newspaper. Watched some YouTube vids for pointers.

Take a dishcloth and spread lots of coarse salt on it and sprinkle oregano. Now put fillet steak on this and roll tightly. Put the package directly on the hot coals. 9 min a side gave me medium-rare and the 2nd one I did for 10 a side was medium. So changes quickly.

Meat is lovely and tender with a hint of salt and oregano. Will do this again !

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297698.761446.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297712.510104.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297729.311960.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297741.876492.jpg

VERY NOICE!!!!!

How'd you get the dishcloth clean though?...