(re)Introducing CITEC wheels...

Eldron

Hi Eldron

I might be building a 650B bike in the new year, and the Ascender S looks like a good wheel option. A few questions:

1. The tech on these wheels looks a bit beyond the average LBS. If (heaven forbid) I manage to "untrue" one of these, would my LBS be able to true it. If not, would I have to send it to you in Jozi?

2. Could you please PM me details (weight, rider weight limit, etc) and prices on 650B wheels?

3. How easy is it to service the hubs? Would my LBS be able to do it? What tools would I need to service these hubs myself?

Thanks

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Ranger Sir,

1. Not at all. Spoke head is 5mm metric and you need a tool to keep the bladed spoke straight while you twist away at the head. Any decent bike shop should have that equipment. Park tool make a great 5mm hex driver. I have the Citec tool and the Park tool (same thing really).

2. Done.

3. There is no "servicing" - once every few thousand km you swap out the bearings (like any sealed bearing wheel - mine lasted 6,000km before they needed a change). Bearings are standard size - I buy mine locally at SKF. Push them out - push in the new ones and bob is your uncle.

The tech is ubercool but most of the parts are standard. Only real issue is if you total the wheel in which you would need to post it to me for rebuilding/replacement.

650B stock should be here late Jan.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the interest everybody - all requests responded to.

And for a bit'o'fun here is my latest build - an olde Niner EMD built to be a super commuter bike. It has the Citec M1800AS wheels, 1x9 drive train, mechanical discs, tubelessed semi slicks and rides like a dream.

BoostedGP and I did a double lap of SBR on Saturday and I used this bike. It rocked.

post-2412-0-74275900-1389601424_thumb.jpg

And for a bit'o'fun here is my latest build - an olde Niner EMD built to be a super commuter bike. It has the Citec M1800AS wheels, 1x9 drive train, mechanical discs, tubelessed semi slicks and rides like a dream.

BoostedGP and I did a double lap of SBR on Saturday and I used this bike. It rocked.

Looking at the angle of that seat makes me cross my legs, tightly!!

Awesome bike Mr Eldron!!

Looking at the angle of that seat makes me cross my legs, tightly!!

Awesome bike Mr Eldron!!

Hahahaha - yeah - a few other people have asked me about THAT angle. It's just how I'm built - I ride saddle up.

Tried many saddles at many angles and it just isn't comfy.

Chukky - that bikes rocks. Last time I had that much fun on a bike was when I built my first SSer!

I'm starting to wonder if you 2 are lekker in the kop ne :eek: Was the East not hilly enough for you :whistling:

I'm starting to wonder if you 2 are lekker in the kop ne :eek: Was the East not hilly enough for you :whistling:

ONLY STARTING TO WONDER :eek: :eek: :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick review on the wheels I have .

my Cannondale has a set of Citec Ascender S ( with lefty Citec hub ) and they are special , light stiff , fast , durable , all that lekker stuff.

I now have a pair of Citec M1800's on a SS for commuting , training and general all sorts riding . done a few rides on them now and I'm super impressed , for a wheel set that is a budget wheel these are fantastic and worth a look at .they handle well , reasonably stiff but comfortable ( have them a ridged setup ) and they roll so well .

Yes I'm biased but am I not allowed to be ? the wheels do what they meant to and I'm impressed .

post-8504-0-04738600-1390565171_thumb.jpg

post-8504-0-34338000-1390565182_thumb.jpg

post-8504-0-31570700-1390565196_thumb.jpg

those wheels look nice. What is the diff between the Ascender S and M1800????

Eldron !! come explain yourself to the man .

Eldron what tyres are those? They look like ye olde Town and Country tyres from Conti.

Archived