CSA / PPA. The Heat is on

madmarc

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judgment handed down in PPA/CSA court case

Friday 14 February 2014: Judgment was handed down this morning in the matter between the Pedal Power Association and Cycling South Africa in the High Court of South Africa, as follows: Acting Judge KM Savage ordered that the applicant, the Pedal Power Association, does not require the prior sanction or approval of the first respondent, Cycling South Africa, or members of the first respondent, in respect of cycling events organised by the applicant, including fun rides or league rides. (…more)

The first respondent, its officials or members, are interdicted and prevented from representing to any person or body, including commercial sponsors, local authorities, national, provincial or local traffic and policing authorities, or cyclists, that PPA requires such prior sanction, or that such sanction is a prerequisite for any other necessary permission or approval granted by national, provincial or local authorities.

The respondent was further ordered to pay the applicant’s costs, including the costs of two councel.

Click here to read the full judgment.

Copied and pasted from PPA page. Thought I'd save you reading 16 pages of the actual judgement.

If you want an even shorter summary: PPA is right. CSA looks like a muppet.

Edited by DJR

CSA - 1st Respondent

South African Sports confederation and Olympic committee - 2nd Respondent.

So as CSA was been a Muppet to the 2nd Respondent - will the 2nd Respondent fit the bill?

Cannot seem to open the 16page doc. What cost does CSA have to pay? Is there an amount.

No amounts mentioned in the judgement.

or until they amend the National Sports & Recreation Act and empower CSA by statute.

basically it seems the PPA might have dodged this on a technicality that CSA or SASCOC is not empowered by law. No doubt SASCOC and CSA will probably work to amend this.

or until they amend the National Sports & Recreation Act and empower CSA by statute.

basically it seems the PPA might have dodged this on a technicality that CSA or SASCOC is not empowered by law. No doubt SASCOC and CSA will probably work to amend this.

Correct, or they can get away from the "tax" mentality whereby service delivery is not associated with the statutory fee. If they provided tangible outcomes to the broader base of their fee pool they would not have had so much resistance.

PPA has their short-comings, but when I get a notice about a new bike park being opened at Paul Cluver (partially with PPA funding) at a very reasonable rate to PPA members it makes the pain a little more bearable when I am basically forced into joining to get results for the odd funride that I participate in.

I suggest that CSA focus on getting a reasonable Tour of SA off the ground and focus on selling TV rights for this to boost their coffers and not to try and prey on the recreational cyclists.

Yeah but between CSA and SUXCOCK that will probably take 50 years at the pace they work at.