Wines 2 Whales - 2013

Francois Pienaar

R800/tyre i heard this morning.

Holey shoaley, I'm keeping mine away from the tar if that's what they cost now.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R800/tyre i heard this morning.

Heard the same nonsense recently and decided to go with Spez Ground Control. Doing my first ride with them tomorrow @ Die Burger and riding the W2W Open day. Should have a good idea by then if they're any good.

What hill was cut out? Hans se kop? My partner can ride anything - nothing too technical for him ever. I struggle with the sharp, downhill switchbacks - but could ride 95%. Just find it interesting that the same guys that push all the time on the singletrack tend to disapear on the long climbs... We still came in early in group B despite my technical weakness. Dont let them psyche you out too much - just ride hard in training. I am playing with the idea of 1x11- maybe a bit too brave.

Hi Talus. I am running 1X10. 34 front and 11-36 rear. It is magic. If you need a test shoot me a pm and we can go to Tokai. I live round the corner. Personally I think it is the only option to ride. Less maintenance and just runs like a dream.

I am also hooked on the simplicity. I live PTA. Would love to ride with you though. Did Meerendal on 1x11 ove Easter. Was lekka.

I have the opportunity to ride the adventure but worry there isn't enough time left to train? i am an experienced rider (Joberg2c, 6 x Sani 2c and quite a few others), but this year have taken a "family" break, haven't ridden since Berg & Bush last November. Anyone think effectively 10 weeks is enough time to get fit again for a 3 day race?

What copperhead says. And a few long climbs or sessions on spinning bike with resistence

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Talus. I am running 1X10. 34 front and 11-36 rear. It is magic. If you need a test shoot me a pm and we can go to Tokai. I live round the corner. Personally I think it is the only option to ride. Less maintenance and just runs like a dream.

How much fitter does one have to be with the 1x10, or 1x11 setup. I can understand all the benefits, except maybe long climbs killing me.

You don't need to be any fitter. Start with a relatively small front ring. Say a 30. Then progress up. Learn to use the bike as it is geared. That is my thought. You need to think of a race and think... Mmm how would I have ridden that if I only had one front CR. I have gone from a 3X10 to a single speed and a 1X10. I think I am much faster now on my 1X10 as I use gears for longer. Less changing. Less farting around with - am I in the right gear. Pick a gear and try and spin at around 80-90 RPM. Obviously up hills you need to adjust that. I still run up the occasional steep section. It doesn't bother me. It makes me think I should be fitter.

When's your next race you can try out my bike.

I obviously dont have your experience or levels of fitness. But the weight saving, less cabling, less maintenance, especially in wet and muddy conditions, are really appealing. Will be for my dual suspension bike, will be going xx1 11 speed. Thanks for your advice, you are always willing to help us less experienced riders. I am doing Backsberg on Saturday, I know you big boys are riding the monster in Citrusdal.

What amazes me is how much you can do with less gears. I have a 2x10, but do faster races on a 1x11 hardtail. Cant think of a time I missed the granny. I have spun out on long downhills - not a big problem though. Then I go out on my S/S and ride places I would never dreamt was possible before (I am getting stronger and fitter but I am very average still) - give it a go!

What amazes me is how much you can do with less gears. I have a 2x10, but do faster races on a 1x11 hardtail. Cant think of a time I missed the granny. I have spun out on long downhills - not a big problem though. Then I go out on my S/S and ride places I would never dreamt was possible before (I am getting stronger and fitter but I am very average still) - give it a go!

You guys absolutely convinced me. I am going xx1 1x11. Break the bank. It seems incredible, I cant wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or is there a whole lot less Hub-hype going into W2W than S2C?

By now the S2C thread would be 20 pages long with questions, advice, concerns, banter, you name it.

I know I'm quietly pooping myself because I'm still covered in winter cobwebs and there's just five weeks to go!! :eek:

I know I'm quietly pooping myself because I'm still covered in winter cobwebs and there's just five weeks to go!! :eek:

5 weeks??? eish, this race really crept up on me..

I'm a bit stressed, my partner is much stronger than I anticipated when we discussed doing the race, going to be 3 days of hurt! I kind of prefer being the stronger partner..