Francois Pienaar

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the 'race' seeding is out..

Ahh, the benefits of having a super strong partner :thumbup:

Now I'll be the over-seeded one holding up the fast guys on the singletrack and not visa versa :devil:

So for the guys who did it in 2012, What advise do you have for the Portage section, 3 compulsory km's, What to do's & not to do? Thanks.

It is compulsory so: DO carry and push your bike on very slippery rocks up the very steep riverbed. Nature conservation officers will be present and watching. DONT spoil it for everyone by trying to be a hero and riding bits. It takes about 30min. Not fun

It is compulsory so: DO carry and push your bike on very slippery rocks up the very steep riverbed. Nature conservation officers will be present and watching. DONT spoil it for everyone by trying to be a hero and riding bits. It takes about 30min. Not fun

Thanks Talus but It's pretty obvious that I knew that already, I was not intending to ride it, hence I posted the question here, what I wanted to know was more along how to prepare for this, should I wear a nylon soled shoe for this day instead of carbon soled shoes, can you run up, is carrying your bike better than pushing it, etc. Etc. Besides some other advise received on how to prepare for this, like push your bike up a mountain, is anybody else doing a specific gym program for this? Apparently doing a couple of runs will benefit you by strengthening the Achilles but what else are guys doing out there or am i the only one taking this bit serous, it is afterall the RACE I entered.

Some guys actually take running shoes along for it. The top guys do run it. Pushing is the average guys' answer. Strong Achilles will help. Too late for training specifically I think. Takes about 20-25min of a 4:15 day. Top guys run whilst carrying their bikes. Carbon soles will be very tricky I think. Good luck with the RACE. The rest of us will just enjoy.

When you get to it you will see what to do. It is very difficult to explain. It is hard work getting up that hill. If it is wet be careful you will slip loads. It is the same route the Epic has come down except for this year. I am not sure how one would train for it. Just get in your place when you arrive at the portage section and follow everyone else. I am wearing my old pair of shoes that day.

thanks Copperhead, will it be possible to overtake slower walkers?

I guess I'll wear my old shoes too then, 3km to walk & them shoes are going to be battered I reckon.

thanks Copperhead, will it be possible to overtake slower walkers?

I guess I'll wear my old shoes too then, 3km to walk & them shoes are going to be battered I reckon.

The lower part of the portage is narrow and often a bit of a bottle neck. Not easy to overtake slow walkers there. The upper portion is wider and it is easier to overtake slow climbers. My advice would be to get there before the slow guys, if you want to truly race it. The advice about old shoes is good, but make sure that they have enough good tread left. The upper part is comparable to climbing a steep set of stairs 2 or 3 at a time, so if you want to train for it, that is what I would do, with bike on the shoulder.

(All this of course coming from one of the slow guys - honestly - I just "got to the top any way I could")

Problem is that often one partner is a much better climber/ runner.

aaaah I had that one unknowingly covered, my parnter is 10 years younger than me & has a Vo2max not from around these neck of the woods.

The lower part of the portage is narrow and often a bit of a bottle neck. Not easy to overtake slow walkers there. The upper portion is wider and it is easier to overtake slow climbers. My advice would be to get there before the slow guys, if you want to truly race it. The advice about old shoes is good, but make sure that they have enough good tread left. The upper part is comparable to climbing a steep set of stairs 2 or 3 at a time, so if you want to train for it, that is what I would do, with bike on the shoulder.

(All this of course coming from one of the slow guys - honestly - I just "got to the top any way I could")

thanks djr, I did impi challenge today, the course was 12km of trail running with 18 tough obstacles thrown in between. So I reckon I'm better off than most...I hope.

You guys are making me nervous. My wife can barely lift her bike over a fence. Could be interesting ... :eek:

No problem that, I saw several mixed team guys carry 2 bikes up the Gantouw Pass so that their partners could climb it a bit easier. So, start training now, oh, sorry, maybe it's a bit late! :devil:

No problem that, I saw several mixed team guys carry 2 bikes up the Gantouw Pass so that their partners could climb it a bit easier. So, start training now, oh, sorry, maybe it's a bit late! :devil:

Now you REALLY are making me nervous. Any tips on how to carry two bikes at once? :blink: