Wines 2 Whales - 2013

Francois Pienaar

Not sure how many of you did the Apple blossom mtb race at Oak valley (part of day 2 of w2w) , but it was serious mud!! Super slippery!!

Sooo.... what mud guard is the best one to use? Front wheel or downtube ?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard from someone who recced the route last week the trails were still very much wet & muddy with little hope of drying out before the race. With the coming rains the little hope becomes no hope! Even if it doesn't rain on the day its gonna be muddy as hell!

DAMN!!!

Don't stress too much about mud & rain. By far the bulk of the W2W trails are not muddy and slippery and they dry out quickly (like most of our Cape trails). The muddy bits are few and far between, but they tend to stay muddy. Those are mostly on day 3, and no more than a few hundred metres long. Even in the rain, the trails are all rideable and nothing like the muddy mess you find in Natal or the Transvaal.

Don't stress too much about mud & rain. By far the bulk of the W2W trails are not muddy and slippery and they dry out quickly (like most of our Cape trails). The muddy bits are few and far between, but they tend to stay muddy. Those are mostly on day 3, and no more than a few hundred metres long. Even in the rain, the trails are all rideable and nothing like the muddy mess you find in Natal or the Transvaal.

the Transvaal? Is that like just south of Rhodesia?

Did you ride the Apple blossom race a couple of weeks ago?

That was serious mud/slime/cow ****.. people started to dunk their bikes in the dam to try and clean it! Lots of people had broken chains / chain stuck & other mud related problems.

the Transvaal? Is that like just south of Rhodesia?

Sorry, us Capies are slow to learn...... :blush:

That was serious mud/slime/cow ****.. people started to dunk their bikes in the dam to try and clean it! Lots of people had broken chains / chain stuck & other mud related problems.

I didn't, but I'll take your word for it because I know the Burger/Stellenbosch mtb also often turn out a mudfest of note. However, I still think that mud on the W2W is not something to lose too much sleep about. I certainly won't fit mud specific tyres.

Anyone doing the Adventure who will no longer need their tented accomodation?

I didn't, but I'll take your word for it because I know the Burger/Stellenbosch mtb also often turn out a mudfest of note. However, I still think that mud on the W2W is not something to lose too much sleep about. I certainly won't fit mud specific tyres.

Yip the Burger can get a few mud patches but that's childs play compared to the mud on Grabouw mountains... it is very different almost clay like.. k@k slippery & piles up nicely to your mtb haha.. (expect a 2kg heavier bike ).

I know its a few days yet before the start of the Adventure, but common sense and feedback from folks who've recently ridden in the area tell me that we are in for some (lots?) of mud. I say again, thankfully I've booked our bikes for a service package. Hopefully I don't need it.

Had the same feedback from several people.

Anyone doing the Adventure who will no longer need their tented accomodation?

I wont need mine- trade for beer?

Will be staying with family 1.5k away. With rain looming I feel even happier about that now.

Hi All,

Is there anyone can help me get back to the start (with my bike), please.

I am riding the Ride, so it will be the Wednesday afternoon.

Only me as I don't have a partner.

or

Alternatively, someone to drop my car off at the finish. The shuttle service is full.

thanks

gregg

Hi All,

Is there anyone can help me get back to the start (with my bike), please.

I am riding the Ride, so it will be the Wednesday afternoon.

Only me as I don't have a partner.

or

Alternatively, someone to drop my car off at the finish. The shuttle service is full.

thanks

gregg

Managed to get help. thanks.

gregg

3 days till the adventure kicks off. I can hardly contain myself.
then imagine how I must feel as we need to wait 10days :-( but at least you get to recce the route & feed back to us right?