Swart Kat

I dont understand why funriders would want 1x11. Yes it is a bit ligter thand 2x10, or 3x10, but why? I rate a front shifter as an easy device to learn to operate, I have never met anybody who found it "too complex".

Imo the bicycle industry needs the next big thing plus an eager market to keep raking in cash. Steel frames - rubbish after alu and Ti frames matured. Alu frames? Useless, you must get carbon. Same story for 26", 29" and now 650. For me, 1x11 is just another way to get you to spend money to look like a pro. I dont argue that it is an excellent gruppo, just that only 99% of all riders wont see a difference in their race times on it.

Edited by Christie

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand why funriders would want 1x11. Yes it is a bit ligter thand 2x10, or 3x10, but why? I rate a front shifter as an easy device to learn to operate, I have never met anybody who found it "too complex".

Imo the bicycle industry needs the next big thing plus an eager market to keep raking in cash. Steel frames - rubbish after alu and Ti frames matured. Alu frames? Useless, you must get carbon. Same story for 26", 29" and now 650. For me, 1x11 is just another way to get you to spend money to look like a pro. I dont argue that it is an excellent gruppo, just that only 99% of all riders wont see a difference in their race times on it.

Are you confusing "want" and "need". I am sure a lot of fun riders want to have the top of the range group SRAM group set including me, but whether they need it is a different story. I really like my XX1, it's great. Does it make me faster? No. Do I care? No. Why did I buy it? Partially because I can and partially for the weight saving and the tiny bit less maintenance without a front deraileur etc..

I hear you, I think its a great gruppo. But I give it a year or 2 for a 1x12 gruppo, with thinner chain and chainring, to appear.

If you are a couple of mil strong already, have some sports cars in the garage etc, why not?

Hmmm, I disagree. My girlfriend has just started cycling, and she's still confused about how exactly to use the front derailleur, especially how the "combinations" with the rear work. As a result, she just leaves it in the middle ring (seeing as I ride with XX1 cranks, I simply say "that's fine, I also leave my front as is!")

In my opinion, it's actually exactly the opposite of what some people are complaining about. It's not a case of "why do we need XX1/X01/1x10". I believe it's a case of "why were we ever sold the unnecessary complexity of 3x10 or 2x10?"

Edited by MH for short

sram have over complicated things with that bloody 10t cog, shimano should just come out with with a a 10sp 11-42 cassette....and maybe a compatible rear derailleur if needed. XT level quality and price.

Am I the pnly person that ever needed to use the 'granny/granny' gear? Sure seems like it :blush:

you are not alone :blush: i use mine and hence will not go down to a 1x10, i do however want to go from a 3x10 to a 2x10

Fair point MH. It is still cheaper to buy a 3x9 than a 1x11 gruppo, though. There should be an entry level 1x11 gruppo then, priced a bit below SLX.

Mr. Ben, I ride a 44-32-22, and I use them all. Some rides in Gauteng I only use the 44, but I use the 32 a lot in places like Groenkloof, and on rides like Sani2c, Sabie events etc I use the 22 on those big climbs. I rode the Mamba all the way to the top, but I needed that 22 - without it I would have walked. I am not heavy, but I only ride the bike once a week or sometimes 2 weeks, (run 3 or 4 mornings per week) I cant see a benefit to get rid of the 22.

Edited by Christie

I reckon a single shifter is more appropriate for beginners. A front derailleur takes some skill and practice to get right. Unfortunately the gearing options on 1x are not as beginner friendly as a 2/3x. I would live the simplicity of one shifter but cant justify the expense for no real benefit at this stage. Run my 3x9 which performs really well.

One big thing that I like about the XX1 setup is the q-factor and hence your feet are closer together and it feels a lot more like my road bike. With my tripple XTR cranks it felt like I was pedaling like a duck with my toes out.

Mr. Ben, I ride a 44-32-22, and I use them all. Some rides in Gauteng I only use the 44, but I use the 32 a lot in places like Groenkloof, and on rides like Sani2c, Sabie events etc I use the 22 on those big climbs. I rode the Mamba all the way to the top, but I needed that 22 - without it I would have walked. I am not heavy, but I only ride the bike once a week or sometimes 2 weeks, (run 3 or 4 mornings per week) I cant see a benefit to get rid of the 22.

Ditto ... those long steep climbs like the Mamba, much better for the morale to keep the pace on the pedals, even if its a very low gear. And although I am a long-in-the-tooth minimalist ("less is more") for mtb I prefer more options than less when it comes to gears. Also add the fact that I am a bit of cheapskate and prefer to build my own bikes from good used or bargain new bits, so not prepared to pay the premium for 1x tech. Why I have only just gone 2x on my latest bike, the Black Panther (Flash 650b)

is still cheaper to buy a 3x9 than a 1x11 gruppo, though. There should be an entry level 1x11 gruppo then, priced a bit below SLX.

Yep. My point though was that if we never went down the multiple-ring complexity path, we would now probably have 1x11 or 1x12 right down to Alivio level. Current pricing is simply a function of how the market has developed over time.

grow bigger legs eet jou pap en groente elke oggend en kry 1X10 of 1X11 right

so en as jy bietjie sukkel dis ok niemand gaan vir jou lag nie maak net n paar geluidtjies as jy moet hard werk soos n hitsa en hhhhh die meisies like dit anyway

Yep. My point though was that if we never went down the multiple-ring complexity path, we would now probably have 1x11 or 1x12 right down to Alivio level. Current pricing is simply a function of how the market has developed over time.

But thinner chains had to evolve first to give more gears at the back, and I think it was the roadies who paved that way.. ?