Are you part of a club?? Absolute FLAMING

Guest Heino

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're in Cape Town, it's all about cliques, who you know and what they can do to make you cooler / better / more fabulous.

I've never known an city like it for being so 'proper' but so unfriendly. Just an outsiders view.

I'll get my flame proof coat as well.

that's cr@p. we'll accept anyone that is cool/rich/handsome/pretty/hip/connected enough. obviously you're none of those. better luck somewhere else.

Sorry to hear about this Heino. I just think you found the wrong club and I say this motivated by the old saying of brids of a feather... If it is safe to ride on your own, go for it - I would prefer to ride on my own, but the environment I live in prevents me from doing this. Or, if you do not like riding by yourself, find a few friends and start your own group. Soon you'll have likeminded individuals joining your group and everything will be peachy! Until then, keep riding.

Very interesting post - and just took me back to playground politics. Who's in who's out, and it doesnt matter if you bring your new toys or give the cool kids sweets, there's an "x-factor" that decides - and doing that other stuff can just look desperate.

Also interesting that it was only the "cool group" that the OP is unhappy with. What about the rest, or are they "not worth it"?

So the OP is now the best rider in the club & is taking his stuff elsewhere.

It looks like everyone in this situation is part of the same game - looking for acceptance and recognition. And a group binds together partly by who they join togehter to reject.

Best to jiggle the blocks and find somewhere you fit in comfortably; but that means relaxing your expectations.

Just some views - and i think we're all the same in this kind of thing. Sorry for the hurt that the OP is obviously feeling.

What about the costs the club so easily calls out to the members to cover? What are they and how much/how frequently is it expected?

I like riding clubs. Belong to 3 and ride with at least two other groups besides the clubs on a regular basis. Still do most of my riding on my own.

The problems start when you hang all your expectations and hopes on one group of people. You are sure to be disappointed. Get out and about and ride with different people. Then you can choose who to ride with depending on what you feel like and who you feel like.

Hi Heino,

Sorry to hear that you have s#^t in your life. I hope things get better. There is NOTHING better than going out for a ride with a bunch of buddies and enjoying a cup of coffee with them afterwards.

I am afraid riding alone is not much fun at all.

Regards

Sarge.

There are loads of things better, cycling ain't the be all and end all of life. You need to get out and about more. Edited by SkinnySweatyMan

post-39984-0-13686600-1372317888_thumb.jpg

Like going for a wave/ bodysurf with my mates is one of them or busting down a long downhill on a skateboard :thumbup:

that's cr@p. we'll accept anyone that is cool/rich/handsome/pretty/hip/connected enough. obviously you're none of those. Better luck somewhere else.

And I was wondering what it was!

Join a proper club. I did and Im super proud to be in it.

:D

It is a club very different to most others.

To the OP.

No need to start a new club. Just get a bunch of like minded riders together. Create a WA group on your iPhail/Crapberry/Android phone and Bob's your Auntie.

Guest Heino

I disagree with that. Went along on a ride and for majority of the ride the pace was great. Then we got near the end and it was increased. I managed to hang on no problem, but got split when at a robot. They didn't bother to wait !!! Carried on at their pace and left people behind with no way of catching up (There were a few more people that had got left behind at the previous robot). Had no idea where to go so ended up waiting for the other stragglers. It was my first and last ride with the Outriders.

Maybe I'm too used to mtbing, where if you ride in a group, people wait at certain points to make sure everyone stays together and doesn't get left on their own.

Thats pathetic!! It is unnaceptable that they just leave you behind! Exactly my issue with clubs!

Guest Latent Blue
.....and here i thought only in Durban we have those type of crap!!! :eek:

No lekker clubs in durbs?

No lekker clubs in durbs?

Mmmm....i just think that this is a general problem that is experience at ALL clubs. I belong to three clubs in the area and tried to ride with all of them on a regular basis, but picked up that in all three there is certain few people that form a click and the rest of the members is being treated as extra baggage.

Luckily for me that is relatively safe where i cycle and can do so on my own as well. When i had enough of the clicks (which normally don't last long) I cycle on my own and when i need / feel like company I go and cycle with a club....depends on who got the best ride at that stage.