Stupid question

martinsnyman

Is there a difference between 26inch and 29 inch hubs? In other words can i use hubs from a 26 inch wheelset to build 29 inch wheels?

the 29er hubs come from the "Holy" box, and suffer from delusions of grandeur, megalomania and self importance.

26" hubs are blessed by the pope :ph34r:

the 29er hubs come from the "Holy" box, and suffer from delusions of grandeur, megalomania and self importance.

hehehehe

Since 29er bikes (on paper) require more torque to turn the wheels and move the bike forward, 29er hubs should (technically) be stronger in the torque transfer department.

Think about it this way: if you have a long spanner and you want to tighten a bolt, you would require less effort than if you had a short spanner. Conversely, if you want to transmit torque through a longer lever (longer spokes) you would have to apply more force.

Some hub manufacturers have now rated their hubs for 29 and 26er use, notably Shimano.

My guess is that none of us are strong enough to break a 26er hub on a 29er wheel and therefore nobody (other than Shimano) has bothered with this rating.

On paper though, you need stronger pawls and ratchets to do the same job you previously did on a 26er.