MTB brakes

Wimmas

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats because the fluid is contaminated with water - once it is contaminated, you must REPLACE the fluid with fresh - all of it - just bleeding to get the bubbles out does nothing over the medium term - you will have to rebleed as soon as they have been hot.

Thanks for the tip :thumbup: but my avids are in a box somewhere in the garage. Cant get myself to sell them to a unsuspecting buyer. I wont sleep at night.

Cool dude, you have made your mind up enjoy your brakes...

Just my last 2c, ER24's number is 084 124...might want to keep this one handy

LOL... Note I am not wedded to Avid brakes in any way - properly maintained, they are largely the same as anything out there.. provided it is properly maintained - and they don't take more time to maintain than my XT braked bike.

Except for my Brembo CUP brakes... these are a beast from a different school.. :) Disks are a bit heavy for a bike though... more than my bike each...

post-29797-0-03676300-1373284166_thumb.jpg

god, the overdramatic avid haters are almost amusing. unbunch ladies.. :thumbup:

V12: i dumped that dot 5.1 shite a while back. Hooked on Motul RB600. Stuff's magic. Only ever used Avids. once bled properly, no issues. Can't say it enough. Haven't seen Avid brakes lose someone a chance at a world champs before..Gwin agrees with me.. :P

god, the overdramatic avid haters are almost amusing. unbunch ladies.. :thumbup:

V12: i dumped that dot 5.1 shite a while back. Hooked on Motul RB600. Stuff's magic. Only ever used Avids. once bled properly, no issues. Can't say it enough. Haven't seen Avid brakes lose someone a chance at a world champs before..Gwin agrees with me.. :P

Swap to SRF.... I used to use the Motul 600 stuff... there is a world of difference... especially after a long weekend's use - I might even still have a can or 2 of 600 unopened..

There is a certain Epic winner this year that also agrees with you... :)

Wow, great insight.

Maybe we should ask his mechanic rather you know that guy that has to maintain the kuk. :whistling:

We are not pro's, we are joe average that has 1.5 dogs, a bond and have to look after our own stuff and also fork out the moola, buying once is key. We don't make this up, they really are that kuk

Edited by rouxtjie

LOL... Note I am not wedded to Avid brakes in any way - properly maintained, they are largely the same as anything out there.. provided it is properly maintained - and they don't take more time to maintain than my XT braked bike.

Except for my Brembo CUP brakes... these are a beast from a different school.. :) Disks are a bit heavy for a bike though... more than my bike each...

Sweet brakes

But I have to disagree on the "same time maintenance" comment. I found my elixirs CR's tough to bleed, I had to be very patient ito of getting every little bubble out...some little ones seems to get trapped somewhere in the system so I had to sit there lightly knocking the last few out on every bleed, even had a little hex key for this :w00t:

Shimano requires less bleeding and the job itself is much easier.

Edited by rouxtjie

Thanks for the tip :thumbup: but my avids are in a box somewhere in the garage. Cant get myself to sell them to a unsuspecting buyer. I wont sleep at night.

Save yourself some garage space - Get them out - I will take them - for a small fee I will fix them and test them too... :)

I have a project I am planning - needs brakes...

To get Shimano brakes to work: Pull the lever.

To get Avids to work: tinker, tinker, fiddle, fiddle, bleed, tinker, fiddle.....test.....crash......tinker, fiddle, fiddle, bleed, tinker test.....ahhh just right....

I'll pay for postage if you really really really feel like that. I'm in CT, and I know what speed services charge for postage.

I'm serious...

Save yourself some garage space - Get them out - I will take them - for a small fee I will fix them and test them too... :)

I have a project I am planning - needs brakes...

Will take pics tonight and post tomorrow - elixir 5

Wow, great insight.

Maybe we should ask his mechanic rather you know that guy that has to maintain the kuk. :whistling:

We are not pro's, we are joe average that has 1.5 dogs, a bond and have to look after our own stuff and also fork out the moola, buying once is key. We don't make this up, they really are that kuk

learn to understand tongue-in-cheek. like i suggested, unbunch. You'll feel plenty better. Promise! :thumbup:

my lame kidding aside, i agree with V12: avids do work well. I've only ever used avids, so speaking from experience. Not saying they are better than Shimano because i haven't used them on a comparative basis, but the mindless hating is just silly.

I'll pay for postage if you really really really feel like that. I'm in CT, and I know what speed services charge for postage.

I'm serious...

sorry man - v12 has first option.

learn to understand tongue-in-cheek. like i suggested, unbunch. You'll feel plenty better. Promise! :thumbup:

my lame kidding aside, i agree with V12: avids do work well. I've only ever used avids, so speaking from experience. Not saying they are better than Shimano because i haven't used them on a comparative basis, but the mindless hating is just silly.

I could of been seriously injured with that Avid brake faiure. Thats not midless hating. Hands up everyone who's brand new Shimano brakes have failed without warning?......anyone?

Dude, its thehub, I take nothing seriaas....but thanks for the concern :thumbup:

On your last comment, I have had both...and I can honestly say shimano is better is every way. I really wanted the Elixirs to work because I dropped big moola on them...I tried everything but sometimes its just better to give up and chuck.