MTB brakes

Wimmas

Yip that name still makes me de moer in....but then everyone I ride with had the same experience but with different sets...Elixir and juicy ranges.....you can brake the one second and the next you have nothing....screw the noise it makes, its more about the fact that they fade. Don't get me wrong, I like SRAM components(groupo's, rs forks etc) but they really should have fired the engineer in charge of designing the brakes...They are not on the same level as their other stuff.

I hate maintenance whore components whether its hubs, BB's, brakes or groupos.

If they have water in them you can't just bleed, you have to flush them first - as V12 pointed out. (edit: saw your follow up post about replacing all fluid)

My Juicy's were sold to me by Thug about 5 years ago. They needed bleeding twice since then. In fact the only hassle I had with them was braking the break line (:P) once where it goes into the lever and the other time where it goes into the calliper. On those occasions just replaced the hose connector hardware and it didn't even need bleeding.

Edited by SLiiick

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have water in them you can't just bleed, you have to flush them first - as V12 pointed out.

My Juicy's were sold to me by Thug about 5 years ago. They needed bleeding twice since then. In fact the only hassle I had with them was braking the break line ( :P) once where it goes into the lever and the other time where it goes into the calliper. On those occasions just replaced the hose connector hardware and it didn't even need bleeding.

I flushed them every time, every time....didn't just do a quick bleed. Like I said in an earlier post, I really wanted them to work but alas.

I flushed them every time, every time....didn't just do a quick bleed. Like I said in an earlier post, I really wanted them to work but alas.

See my edit above ;)

i only got the RBF 600 because I couldn't source the RBF 660. have you any experience with teh 660?

Not personally - swapped to SRF about 3 or 4 years ago, and I don't think it was available then. Probably a little better than 600 on the specs - hell, I would have used it if it was available.

If you can't find it, try Mike - 011 804 1275 - I think he stocks it.

Ask Kevin Evans that question....

And when you do - ask him what the material was of the disks he was using.. and if it is on the brake suppliers approved list.

Not personally - swapped to SRF about 3 or 4 years ago, and I don't think it was available then. Probably a little better than 600 on the specs - hell, I would have used it if it was available.

If you can't find it, try Mike - 011 804 1275 - I think he stocks it.

Capricorn's in the Cape... I wouldn't trust brake fluid in the post, tbh!

And when you do - ask him what the material was of the disks he was using.. and if it is on the brake suppliers approved list.

and why he was using 140mm rotors on a long distance event with technical / long distance descents.

and why he was using 140mm rotors on a long distance event with technical / long distance descents.

OK, point taken.

Just started running a set of Avid Code R's and I must say I really really like them on the MOTO ... they have claimed one victim though who tested the bike and found out very quickly that the brakes are rather effective and that if you go down and the MOTO comes down ontop of you, you will end up with rather heavily bruised hip.

Capricorn's in the Cape... I wouldn't trust brake fluid in the post, tbh!

Mike knows how to pack it.... and how to make brake lines too... so if you ever need BF Goodridge custom lines or pieces... Mike is your man.

Mike knows how to pack it.... and how to make brake lines too... so if you ever need BF Goodridge custom lines or pieces... Mike is your man.

How is his pricing vs a LBS on brake lines?

Just started running a set of Avid Code R's and I must say I really really like them on the MOTO ... they have claimed one victim though who tested the bike and found out very quickly that the brakes are rather effective and that if you go down and the MOTO comes down ontop of you, you will end up with rather heavily bruised hip.

Were you said test pilot?

How is his pricing vs a LBS on brake lines?

Probably more.. :) a lot more... I don't know if he has built bike lines before - might be worth asking... nice stainless braided lines... bling...

But Avids don't make a noise because of the lable on them - they make a noise because they are installed and set up WRONG - and if you do that, you can make any brake misbehave - including making XTR's noisy..

OK then, go ahead and tell us how to mis-install an XTR brake and make it noisy.