upgrading to 29er?

MischaB

I'm thinking about upgrading my mtb.I've been looking at the Scott Scale 920 or 910.

My current mtb (also Scott scale) has 26" wheels. I'm quite small (1.58m), might the 29" wheels be a problem for me?

Pro's and cons of 29"wheels and any suggestions on what to buy?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do it, cons the 26er die hard's gonna tell u it's a marketing thing, the huge tractors wheels etc.... Scott good but work u way up to a real machine Lynskey! Once u got titanium there's now coming back.

Edited by VicanZA

I'm thinking about upgrading my mtb.I've been looking at the Scott Scale 920 or 910.

My current mtb (also Scott scale) has 26" wheels. I'm quite small (1.58m), might the 29" wheels be a problem for me?

Pro's and cons of 29"wheels and any suggestions on what to buy?

The 910's are nice bikes.

Get a propper fitment done and go for it.

The 910's are nice bikes.

Get a propper fitment done and go for it.

+1 on the 910, got mine not too long ago. Enjoying the upgrade (also from a 26er).

I'm 1.69m and ride a medium 29er (Momsen). You'll defintely be a small. Maybe even an XS but I think a small will do.

I did the same a month ago - 26 to 29er - very pleased I must say. It's the same bike, you just ride softer/smoother.

People said your turning ability etc will be influenced, well like I said, to me it's the same thing. I make turns just like with my 26, no problem. Just a very smooth/soft ride.

Many people have said that short people are not suited to 29ers. Before buying, why not consider a 650b as well. Give them both a try and see which is better. Scott and others are bringing nice 650b ranges for 2014. Some are already in the shops.

Dont let your size put you off.... they are AWESOME bikes. NO going back once you upgrade and you will wonder why you never did earlier. Got the Scott Scale 960.. LOVE IT!

So no one can basically start a new topic? Everything on the hub has been discussed in length...

Saving her time pal... This thread hasn't even reached the second page. It was meant as help - there's loads of info readily available with a search instead of waiting for everyone's opinions.

Relax. It's Friday. Not Monday.

Saving her time pal... This thread hasn't even reached the second page. It was meant as help - there's loads of info readily available with a search instead of waiting for everyone's opinions.

Agreed this topic has been discussed ad nauseam...no need for another. Search and you shall find.

I'm relaxed. If I want specific advise on a bike or anything else, I will start a new topic. Like you said it was discussed in length before and I don't want to read trough 30+ pages of info that's not relevant to my needs. Most of the pages is actually irrelevant crap of people arguing and trying to get their opinions heard.

I'm relaxed. If I want specific advise on a bike or anything else, I will start a new topic. Like you said it was discussed in length before and I don't want to read trough 30+ pages of info that's not relevant to my needs. Most of the pages is actually irrelevant crap of people arguing and trying to get their opinions heard.

heeeeheee. Friday fight topic. Vat vas W!!!