New AM bike advice

KENDA

Hi guys

Been riding for a couple of years now, I have predominantly been doing XC marathon racing and general fun rides with friends.

Gravity riding videos is what actually pulled me to the sport, but with the Mtb mentality of South Africans (dirt roadies) my mind has wandered far from what I thought I was buying into in 2008...

I think it's time to start what I thought I started 5 years ago... I'm looking for something all mountain, something capable of doing the climbing to get to the top of whatever I want to bomb down.

I have been looking at the Spez enduro, but it's a little out my price range. I can push for it if I must, I'm in no rush. I'm looking to buy in the entry level to mid range....

Try not post in this thread if you have to google for info .I can also do that. I'm looking for info/opinions from people who are riding AM and know what's available in SA and how I can get the best bang for my buck in SA...

What are your opinions on all mountain 29ers ? In my current thinking, I want something super nippy for all mountain, not sure 29er will offer that? What are your opinions on this ?

Looking forward to your advice !

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently ride a Morewood Shova. I bought the frame and built it up with the parts of my choice.

If you want to buy a complete bike I will recommend a Giant Reign. Best value for money AM bike in SA.

Sadly choices in SA are limited, as most LBS's concentrate on XC bikes which are used in the mass participation marathon style events.

Spez Enduro is a very nice option. You can also check out the Enduro threads on thehubsa for some more ideas.

The Mongoose Teocali is a very capable budget All Mountain/Enduro option imho

Yeah, the Enduro is a VERY nice option.

The best value bike in my opinion is the Giant Reign. Very well priced for what it is, and you can add the Teocali to that list as well.

I think you can get a Reign 2 for about R 25k all in, and that includes a dropper post, wide bars and full SLX kit.

If you're looking 29er as well, then the only REAL options in the AM range would be like the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT and similar bikes, but then you're looking at big tom once they're built up.

For a more trail / AM mtb (still extremely capable - just ask Dan at iRide Africa) then the Trance 9er gets the nod for a budget 9er trail bike that can be used as an AM weapon.

Also the PYGA 110 29er.

I would say Mongoose, Giant, Morewood, or GT if you can stretch your budget that far. I'm still not convinced by a 9er......

Sorry, Mongoose Teocali (I own one), Giant Reign (I should have bought one but none were available at the time) Morewood Mbuzi (if you can find one. When my 'Goose breaks or wears out, Ill stop riding until I find one...) GT Force (If you want to stretch the budget within reason without spending silly money)

Have a look at the Bikes for Enduro thread for some dream machines...

Buy one. You won't be sorry.

Patches has a large cannondale moto frame in a large for sale. I just got one and am rather impressed with it.

Any Reign sold new will be in 650b.. apparently the X too. I'm going to hold out for 650a.. :whistling:

I recently changed from a Reign to a Trance 29er. The more I ride it the better it feels. I just rode Mankele Avalanche on it and it was perfect for that, but that is not big riding.

Look for a deal on a Reign...

Just a btw - I bought a 2011 Gaint Trance X2 new from LBS and because it was a 2011 model being sold in 2012 when the new 2013 model had just been released I got a 30% discount. So wait till Sept/Oct to buy a bike new.

go for an Enduro!! it is apparently worth it! I ride a gt force carbon, and after a month I can say Im finally getting used to it and I really really love my bike.

personally I would say force or enduro (150mm travel) , if you can get an enduro GOGOGOGOGOFORIT! NOW MAN!! what are you waiting for!! :devil:

but if you cant , I have heard of guys doing insane things with stumpjumpers, but I would go for a new one so once you break it you could hopefully get it replaced.... :whistling: ( my scott spark lasted 6 months = I was still figuring out what kind of riding I was into) got it replaced and the SOLD it.

the trance x is supposed to be pretty good too, a few guys riding the Enduros with that! , and 2014 is 650b on most giant bikes, only BIG problem is all new stock landing now is about 30% more expensive due to obvious reasons which kicked our ass against the $ . so maybe 2nd hand? if you were looking 25K new you will now pay 32K plus.

if you come across a yeti sb-66 , give it serious consideration.

just my 5c

I have been riding the Stumpjumper comp with a command post on and I am in love with that bike. I've been riding Vasbyt quite often lately and the bike just feels better and better. It really handles most things thrown at it. I think Anneke Beerten rode some DH events on her Stumpy evo.

It climbs well enough for me not to notice and on the downhills it just eats it all. I love the bike.