How important is professional bike fitting?

Mountain Bru

I bought a second hand MTB about a year ago and I'm starting to think I should go for a proper fitting. This is mostly because I sometimes get a numb and tingly feeling (like pins and needles) in my "twig and berries", but also because I want to build up a new bike and would like to know what size components to buy so that the new bike fits me perfectly.

So is it worth spending R500 on a professional bike fitting?

I found some websites and apps where you enter your measurements and then they tell you how to set your bike up. What makes a professional fitting better than doing it yourself with the aid of these websites and apps?

So how important is it to see a dentist, have your car serviced or buy the right size shoe.. Have it done by a pro and then from there the apps and your own can get a feeling.

I bought a second hand MTB about a year ago and I'm starting to think I should go for a proper fitting. This is mostly because I sometimes get a numb and tingly feeling (like pins and needles) in my "twig and berries", but also because I want to build up a new bike and would like to know what size components to buy so that the new bike fits me perfectly.

So is it worth spending R500 on a professional bike fitting?

I found some websites and apps where you enter your measurements and then they tell you how to set your bike up. What makes a professional fitting better than doing it yourself with the aid of these websites and apps?

It's a good foundation. However, a fitting paradigm may not work entirely for you. I have seem many people get a fitting, have their bikes adjusted, then switch back to some of their original settings. Trial and error.

"Twigs and berries"? Spirit level on your saddle is the first thing to try.

Get a pro fitting. But be aware that there are pro fittings and then there are PRO FITTINGS.

Had my bike set up when I starter riding ate the beginning of the year, by one of the pro fitting shops.

I felt comfortable that I just need to get used to riding a bike & the setup.

Over time I realised that something was wrong. I believed that I possibly had one leg longer than the other, as I was tip toeing my right foot. Hence, my right leg is shorter.

Surprised to find out that my LEFT leg is just over 10mm longer than my right. I had my saddle set too high, and had managed to rotate my pelvis to the right and forward. This made my short left leg almost straight at the bottom of the stroke.

I rode my bike after the setup yesterday for the first time, and what a difference.

Legs are now evenly spaced from the head tube while pedalling.

Only problem is that my right sit bone has not been on the saddle for quite some time. Managed 45 minutes, then right sit bone pain from hell. Like getting used to a new saddle.

Look for someone who has been setting up bikes professionally for a long time, and been trained by the best.

Guest Heino

Try the BikeRite app for R7.99. It works. I had a 3D set up done for R500. Downloaded the app and it came to exactly the same measurements.

Numb berries could be a couple of things.

Set up is important...

Basic bike setup is not rocket science, there are some age old methods for seat height and position (fore/aft and 'level') that will get pretty close to what you need. Thereafter a bit of tweaking perhaps.

Handlebar position depends on your flexibility (age ;) ) and where you fall in the bar width vs stem length debate.

Taking nothing away from pro fittings though as they are great for those who need that 'service' ...

As TW said they also are not foolproof?

Basic bike setup is not rocket science, there are some age old methods for seat height and position (fore/aft and 'level') that will get pretty close to what you need. Thereafter a bit of tweaking perhaps.

Handlebar position depends on your flexibility (age ;) ) and where you fall in the bar width vs stem length debate.

Taking nothing away from pro fittings though as they are great for those who need that 'service' ...

As TW said they also are not foolproof?

True. I had to 'tweak' (lifted the saddle a few mm) my pro fitting and is now as happy as a pig in the proverbial with my fitment. Doubt I would have arrived at the parameters myself though.

Good bike fit is very important.

But bike fitments are only as good as the "professionals" performing them.

Best way is to arm yourself with knowledge - set the bike up as per theory then adjust practically/personally.

If you have enough knowledge a pro fitting is unecessary - if you have no knowledge a pro fitting is vital.

Also depends what bike you have. No use taking an AM bike to have a pro fitment done, as they'll want to give you a 200mm stem and stretch you out like a mofo to get into the optimal pedalling position - which isn't what an AM bike is about.

For XC, yeah - definitely, get a fitment done. Anything else - ride what's comfortable.

Thanks guys. I reckon I'll be getting a fitting done sometime soon. I plan on having kids one day, so numb berries are a serious concern.

Does anyone have any experience with CycleLab in Centurion?

Definitely worth it! I've just found a local app on the iStore, BikeRite which I'm trying on a new bike "project" I've got on the go. Looks like its the real deal ;)