Who needs a Dropper Post?

nickc

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 cracked ribs and a collapsed lung later, yeah. Plus I have all the flexibility of a scaffolding pole. So me needs one.

When did this happen?

6 cracked ribs and a collapsed lung later, yeah. Plus I have all the flexibility of a scaffolding pole. So me needs one.

Eina - what happened ??

it didn't. At least not yet. I just see the pic and think "eina". Pshhht!

AAhhh so its you in the Photo !!

ShoAir-Cannondale Team in action at the ProXCT in Wisconsin.

Check out where his saddle is:

1075474_10151574291566843_1527867185_o.jpg

Dropper posts are not for riding drop offs only, I can ride very big drops with my saddle high.

But....

Have you ever ridden a gap jump or table top where the take off and landing is 3m plus apart with your saddle in XC position? It is not advised. I made that mistake once - Dis 'n goeie manier om jou gat sonder 'n spieël te sien.

Dropper posts have their place in technical trail riding.

Dropper posts are not for riding drop offs only, I can ride very big drops with my saddle high.

But....

Have you ever ridden a gap jump or table top where the take off and landing is 3m plus apart with your saddle in XC position? It is not advised. I made that mistake once - Dis 'n goeie manier om jou gat sonder 'n spieël te sien.

Dropper posts have their place in technical trail riding.

I know, I have had my shorts hook up a couple of times after a very steep decent when trying to return to the saddle, the one time was seriously scary at speed and hooked up on the saddle.

Just commenting on the riders skills - I suppose that is why he has a factory ride :)

I just look at that photo and think this isn't gong to end well...

To answer your question Sidewinder needs one. :P

I use my dropper to get my foot on the tar when stopping at the red light while I can stay seated. ... can never do that without one...

Isn't that its main use?

:D

I use my dropper to get my foot on the tar when stopping at the red light while I can stay seated. ... can never do that without one...

Isn't that its main use?

You stop at red lights? :ph34r:

Isn't that its main use?

You ride on the tar?! :ph34r:

I did the Mankele avalanche the past weekend. I don't have a dropper post so I just dropped my seat 100mm to see if it makes a huge difference. I ride a Commencal AM.

After the first run I raised my seat about 50mm and it was perfect. I cauld ride everything fine and my shorts didn't get stuck.

We had to cycle about 2km up a climb to the last start and I raised it again only to forget it in the XC position. I rode some of the trail with it high only to stop and drop it again. I did it in a hurry so I dropped it 100mm or so and I suffered on the pedal bits.

If they made a post that dropped 50mm and didn't weigh half a kilo and didnt cost half a bar of gold I might consider it. Fair enough the lower seat helped but as this the foto shows it can be done with a full length post too.

Basically I would spend the money on skill classes from that guy!

Edited by 2teeth

I did the Mankele avalanche the past weekend. I don't have a dropper post so I just dropped my seat 100mm to see if it makes a huge difference. I ride a Commencal AM.

After the first run I raised my seat about 50mm and it was perfect. I cauld ride everything fine and my shorts didn't get stuck.

We had to cycle about 2km up a climb to the last start and I raised it again only to forget it in the XC position. I rode some of the trail with it high only to stop and drop it again. I did it in a hurry so I dropped it 100mm or so and I suffered on the pedal bits.

If they made a post that dropped 50mm and didn't weigh half a kilo and didnt cost half a bar of gold I might consider it. Fair enough the lower seat helped but as this the foto shows it can be done with a full length post too.

Basically I would spend the money on skill classes from that guy!

Stage 3 was the least technical, I also ran my Manual Dropper at full height for that stage. But for riding trails like stage one where you descend-pedal-descend-rockgarden a dropper would be worth its weight in gold. Point is just because you can ride something without a dropper/more travel and survive-doesn't mean its gonna be fun.