Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

Guest notmyname

Quick questions? Anyone using a half link chain on you SS roadie? What are the benefits? Are there any negatives? Worth It? Not so much?

Thanks in advance.

Couldn't finish because my SS parts were not compatible with the Campy freehub. Soooo... I bought new bits and pieces. Going to try to finish this eve.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

Progress. Just need to ask for opinion. Am pushing it it bit here?

The blue arrow is pointing out how close the skewer/axle are located to the entry of the drop out. post-85428-0-29551200-1449212680_thumb.jpg

What it looks like at the back of the drop out.

post-85428-0-97360600-1449212976_thumb.jpg

And this is what I'm trying to achieve.post-85428-0-62449300-1449212841_thumb.jpg

*not sure why the second pic is turned.

Edited by Small Fry

You should be fine. Ensure the skewer is pulled tight but don't over tighten.

I have found that skewers tend to slip slightly especially in SS and I have replaced the lever skewer with an axle that has two threaded ends and nuts bolt on with Allen key driver. If I recall it was a BBB part +-R80.00  

You should be fine. Ensure the skewer is pulled tight but don't over tighten.

I have found that skewers tend to slip slightly especially in SS and I have replaced the lever skewer with an axle that has two threaded ends and nuts bolt on with Allen key driver. If I recall it was a BBB part +-R80.00  

get the setup Loose cog is recommending......

Guest notmyname

My "red bird". Just need to have the saddle restored. post-85428-0-16258100-1449832644_thumb.jpg

Edit: And install the Allen key rear axel as recommended.

Edited by Small Fry

• 5 weeks later...

I must sell my SS bike.  We are moving and we do not have space for the bike any more.  Will post the bike later on.  Very sad day to say the least.

• 1 month later...

So I recently replaced the old 48t crank (Bloody crank arm snapped) with a 53t crank.

The 48t was running a 17t cog, so the 53t got a 18t cog .... ratio was a bit heavy, especially considering the bike is going to spin the CTCT.

Last night I popped on a 20t cog, and surprise surprise, I hit the magic gear and could ditch the tensioner ..... for years I have tried in vain to get a magic gear on my bikes, and now I get it purely by chance. The bike is obviously easier to pedal, but will still be a little tough on the climbs .... but there is no way in hell I am giving up on this magic gear ratio as it stands!!

Pardon the dirty bike, but it is being used and ridden.

post-5403-0-90884600-1456904711_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-85307800-1456904729_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-90067900-1456904821_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-01542400-1456904842_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-30832900-1456904859_thumb.jpg

So I recently replaced the old 48t crank (Bloody crank arm snapped) with a 53t crank.

The 48t was running a 17t cog, so the 53t got a 18t cog .... ratio was a bit heavy, especially considering the bike is going to spin the CTCT.

Last night I popped on a 20t cog, and surprise surprise, I hit the magic gear and could ditch the tensioner ..... for years I have tried in vain to get a magic gear on my bikes, and now I get it purely by chance. The bike is obviously easier to pedal, but will still be a little tough on the climbs .... but there is no way in hell I am giving up on this magic gear ratio as it stands!!

LOVE the wide-ass bars on there  :clap:  :thumbup: .

I love the magic gear but the only problem is that if the bike is ridden a fair amount the chain soon 'stretches' and it feels like one needs a tensioner again. Having said that half link chains are not that expensive  :thumbup:

I love the magic gear but the only problem is that if the bike is ridden a fair amount the chain soon 'stretches' and it feels like one needs a tensioner again. Having said that half link chains are not that expensive  :thumbup:

I have a couple of half links in the spares bin and a tensioner .... or I just buy a new chain every other month :P ... the chain as fitted only has about a weeks commuting on it.

Last night I popped on a 20t cog, and surprise surprise, I hit the magic gear and could ditch the tensioner ..... for years I have tried in vain to get a magic gear on my bikes, and now I get it purely by chance. The bike is obviously easier to pedal, but will still be a little tough on the climbs .... but there is no way in hell I am giving up on this magic gear ratio as it stands!!

Looks nice and clean without the tensioner,hope that the chain doesnt stretch to soon and the magic disappears for you.

On a different note,what are you doing in the middle of a playground while you should be on youre way to work?[emoji185]

Looks nice and clean without the tensioner,hope that the chain doesnt stretch to soon and the magic disappears for you.

On a different note,what are you doing in the middle of a playground while you should be on youre way to work?[emoji185]

a slight detour......

• 3 weeks later...

So reading through some of the older and newer posts, I still have no idea of what ratios to use.... and what route to take in my conversion....let me explain....

1. I have a drop out frame and DON'T want to use a tensioner unless I really really have to.

2. My rear derailleur is most probably bent (met some spokes) leading to nr 3...

3. My frame doesn't have a separate hanger....the hanger is part of the frame...and that was slightly bent.....it was bent back, couldn't see any cracks, so can be used in nr 4...

4. If I really really need a tensioner, cant I just chop the 105 derailleur shorter and use that as a tensioner?

I am on a strict budget but really like this thing you call cycling. And besides, single speedsters get more respect when they chop gears and still kicks ass....

Please help.....

So reading through some of the older and newer posts, I still have no idea of what ratios to use.... and what route to take in my conversion....let me explain....

1. I have a drop out frame and DON'T want to use a tensioner unless I really really have to.

2. My rear derailleur is most probably bent (met some spokes) leading to nr 3...

3. My frame doesn't have a separate hanger....the hanger is part of the frame...and that was slightly bent.....it was bent back, couldn't see any cracks, so can be used in nr 4...

4. If I really really need a tensioner, cant I just chop the 105 derailleur shorter and use that as a tensioner?

I am on a strict budget but really like this thing you call cycling. And besides, single speedsters get more respect when they chop gears and still kicks ass....

Please help.....

What crank and BB combo do you have you on your bike?

On my MTB I use a lower guide mounted to isg tabs .... recon with an adaptor on the BB you could run this on a road bike too.....looks far neater than a rear tensioner.

Pic of MTB setup and adaptor 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51w2cC2Rr%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

post-5403-0-55027200-1458656177_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-88330400-1458656203_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-71050800-1458656232_thumb.jpg