MTB Front suspention

Storm 78

This guy also thinks flexing is good......but it is actually not

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/24707-1/roid-arms-black_001.jpg

This guys thought process must have gone something like this "I saw this cartoon once and I thought man that looks good..."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To say that flex does not matter unless 2 components touch is highly irresponsible as well as incorrect.

I concur. It matters hugely when you're bombing through a seriously gnarly rock garden and rely on your line choice being precise. When you're aiming for a gap 5cm wide and hitting it or getting bucked over the bars because you slam your front wheel into the rock on either side depends on not having sloppy aim, it matters.

Can't say I've ever noticed my cheapo crappo WTB's flexing ....a bit bent and buckled yes but flexing ...maybe I will go to the garage now and check....btw thank goodness for disc brakes, nowdays we only have to have the wheels straightened when thay start touching the frame lol

Luckily i live in Cpt, so that my bike doesnt accidently end up at the "said" workshop!

Flex is never good!

From flex comes, fatigue... Which later breaks

bull****.

This guys thought process must have gone something like this "I saw this cartoon once and I thought man that looks good..."

Ive just had a look at his "boobs" and they look a bit stiff? or is this a different thread?

Lucky I live in CT too, This guy looks like he is from said Sandton.

Hi Guys. Thanx for all the advise. I have tightened the cones and it doesn't solve the problem. So, I went to my LBS and Marc is going to build me a Stans Arch. Also to make things better he is going to replace the lower with a through axcel lower. Hope that solves the problem. Enjoy the weekend fellow hubbers

Would you care to tell us how flex on a metal structure (any structure actually) doesn't create fatigue, over time?

just to clarify, that in general, for a given material, below a certain load/stress you can have an infinite number of cycles of flex without causing fatigue related failure. Reference the 'knee' in the S-N bands of any metal to understand this.

Edited by Capricorn

Fair enough cap. I knew this (back from my technika mechanika studies) but Ito wheel building flex has a marked effect on fatigue related failures.

Or, at least, can have if sufficiently pronounced

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem