Java MTB Challenge - Van Loveren 10 Aug

Newbie76

Good day hubsters

I am doing my second race this year (yes I know there are many I have missed) at van Loveren in Robertson on the 10th of August. Being a Newbie to the MTB scene I wanna ask some advice from anyone that has done the race before...

What can I expect with regards to the terrain, climbs & intake before, during & after the race besides water of course.

I have downloaded the map & graph that van Loverens website provides but not a clear indication on the kind of terrain etc.

I'm doing the 30km race as I haven't got the legs or weight advantage yet to do the longer distance. I did the philidelphia race & I was quite fine during & after the race but I want to improve my riding & know I can do a lot better.

Any constructive advice will be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

@Newbie76 - a whole crowd of us are going through to Bonnievale on Thursday for the Robertson Slow weekend. So come Saturday, there will be a few tired bodies before we even start the event. Note - event. Not race. We'll all be doing the 30, although we should be doing the 70. See you on the trail.

hi Newbie

I stopped asking those questions. this is MTB so expect everything and take it as it comes. if I tell it is gravel or sand, or rocky, will you not do it? for me it is simple. if i'm in great shape I do the long route, if i'm okay shape then medium route, and if I am in bad shape I don't go.

Seems Im also going to have a go there this weekend. Haven't done a MTB race in 10years,since then people started riding big wheels. Just need to know, is having a beer while pushing up a hill frowned upon, like to carbo load in the race?

I am thinking of heading through. My opinion, go as hard and as fast as you can to make that beer at the finish taste sweeter than it ever has.

Anyone know how the track handle all the rain?

So, what is your feedback on the race?

Mine did not end well. Cut my tire on the last technical section of the course (50km mark). Gator did not do trick so I had to walk 30min to get to a marshall to organize a lift. That is after the nice hike a bike up that monster of a climb at the 35km mark. My buddy got lost. Had to go pick him up outside Robertson after he did more than 80km already. He was not a happy camper

In general I think it was a cool route. I found it tough but that might be related to my level of fitness. They really made a lot of effort at the venue and it is a super community. I will do it again next year

Stem saam met Jaco-fiets.

Awesome klomp mense en roete was goed uitgele.En ons het gewonder waar hulle 1500m se klim kry.Afgetjop op daai monster klim met my nuwe 1x10 setup, maar ten minste 'n goeie les gehad in HTFU.

Die watertafels was awesome.Die klomp kinders van die laerskool se cheerleading en aanmoediging het mens gou laat vergeet van al die swaarkry.Roete was ook goed gemerk.Het een afdraai gemis, maar vinnig genoeg my fout agtergekom.

By die einde was daar ook oorgenoeg om van te kies om te eet en drink.

Die oggend was net vrek koud.Het letterlik gebibber van die koue in wegspringblok.

Maar die cherrie on top was die oulike handgemaakte "Hou bene, hou"kaartjie wat die skoolkinders gemaak het, en wat ons gekry het by registrasie.Baie nice touch!

Wel gedaan Van Loveren en PPA!

Edited by kvdp

Great route and not too tough for a 70km. The start of the route makes for a good warm up before the climbs. There is a lot more hills in that area as the guys will see on next year's Epic. All in all the best ppa event I have done. Great prizes, loads of waterpoints and good venue. Think the event will be massive in years to come!

Beautiful setting and lovely ride. Very well organised and lots of small touches which showed attention to detail. The little good luck cards from the kids at registration was special. Only did the 30km as I knew it was more of a "kuier" long weekend. Somebody forgot to tell my wife though - she did the 70km. Well done to all involved!!

Great route and not too tough for a 70km. The start of the route makes for a good warm up before the climbs. There is a lot more hills in that area as the guys will see on next year's Epic. All in all the best ppa event I have done. Great prizes, loads of waterpoints and good venue. Think the event will be massive in years to come!

That wasn't the feedback from my wife after 6 hours in the saddle ..... heard there were a few killer climbs and some fairly rocky descents.

Next year the must have a beer tent. I know Van Lovern was a sponsor and it was at their venue, but without the riders there wont be an event. I asked Bussel (one of the 4 cousins) if he would mind me having a Castle Lite and he had no problem with it. I got a couple out of my bakkie and you wont believe how many people asked where the can buy some.

Great route and i will be back next year.

I found that last little climb and the back and forth through the vineyards at the end of the route with the finish in sight a bit unnecessary, and the total distance was a bit off by my measurement (76km), but otherwise a great route with an excellent and very supportive vibe at the water points! Good effort for a first time event.

Next year the must have a beer tent. I know Van Lovern was a sponsor and it was at their venue, but without the riders there wont be an event. I asked Bussel (one of the 4 cousins) if he would mind me having a Castle Lite and he had no problem with it. I got a couple out of my bakkie and you wont believe how many people asked where the can buy some.

Great route and i will be back next year.

Next thing you guys want a brannas and coke as well :whistling:

Just joking! To each his own poison