Article in latest Ride Magazine pg 74

mikethebike234

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost bought a pair of toe clips this last weekend, I've found many contrasting views from many sites. I'm on a MTB - 26'r converted to road - that's how I roll. I drink beer - love it and sweat my *** off working it all off again (not going to change) Okay - to toe clip or not? Go for it.

I used toe clips for awhile, Wasn't keen on them at first, but after I gave them a try I enjoyed them, the difference was that I didn't strap my shoes in, So it was easy for me to get my feet out and it saved me from lots of falls if I had been clipped in, They not expensive so my suggestion is give it a try and see how it works for you.

I have fallen many times. My feet never stay clipped in. I have no idea on that works ... I go one direction, the bike another. Road and mountain bike.

The real difference is power. Flat landers will never have a full 360 (reality probably 340 ) degree on each pedal stroke, they can only push down for around 120 or so degrees, and then wait for the circle to return to the power position.

Flatlanders will only have 1 leg producing the power on each stroke . Clippers will have two :)

THink of doing squats with 1 leg, and then doing squats with two - which will lift more ?

so if you want to get fit/strong do you do squats with weights or without (of course the 'easier' option)?

so if you want to get fit/strong do you do squats with weights or without (of course the 'easier' option)?

What you mean ?

Oh goody my thread is still going ....what a hoot some of you guys are an absolute scream. Johan let us know how the ride with flats goes.... I must go clean my bike now I would like to go for a spin this afternoon even though the weather looks seriously dodge up there....brrrrr

Not quite! The power you have on the pull stroke is nowhere near the power you have on the push stroke.

Still gives u more power then not having a pull stroke at all, which I think mudda was saying

Still gives u more power then not having a pull stroke at all, which I think mudda was saying

Of course the push stroke has more power, as Goose so eloquently pointed out.

The push stroke also makes use of the bigger muscle groups, the ones that tire quicker.

Now wonder so many back markers roll and scream in agony with cramps.

Guest Karma

Once again, this thread reminded me of the amount of experts we have on the hub, and how little I actually give about opinions.

Once again, this thread reminded me of the amount of experts we have on the hub, and how little I actually give about opinions.

Why you always giving yours then?

edit: too many thens

Edited by goose1111

Then why you always giving yours then?

http://www.pakkotoisto.com/attachments/treeni/89206d1350908826-salikomediaa-apply_cold_water_to_the_burned_area-145373.jpg

Of course the push stroke has more power, as Goose so eloquently pointed out.

The push stroke also makes use of the bigger muscle groups, the ones that tire quicker.

Now wonder so many back markers roll and scream in agony with cramps.

Really?

Try riding with just pushing.

Then try riding with just pulling.

Which muscles do you think will tire first?

This pull-stroke that everybody is taking about... Is that the same jerk reaction you use to bunnyflop with clipsters?

This pull-stroke that everybody is taking about... Is that the same jerk reaction you use to bunnyflop with clipsters?

the very same, but here is the kicker...you pull up while the wheel is on the ground....now do this for I don't know 130km and see how much fresher you and your legs feel for tomorrow when you have to do it all over again....

Read the article... If I had to rate my bails, my worst were on flat pedals. Nothing like grating your shins just before you eat dirt. For some reason I feel like I am better off bailing at high speed clipped in compared to not being clipped in. I have a number of bails on both to make my opinion valid.

I see where you guys are coming from, but I also understand the mind set of the writer who wrote the article.

Really?

Try riding with just pushing.

Then try riding with just pulling.

Which muscles do you think will tire first?

You are clearly way above my capability in logic and riding.

But train the pulling muscles more the the push, and they will tire less.

Good leg efficiency is a combination of the two.

That is pretty much why clipless pedals and toe straps were invented, it was never really for bunny hopping.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

the very same, but here is the kicker...you pull up while the wheel is on the ground....now do this for I don't know 130km and see how much fresher you and your legs feel for tomorrow when you have to do it all over again....

Is jy nou dig of iets ?

Goose says push muscles are king.