Are you running Compact or Std chainset?

T-Bob

116 members have voted

1. 1. Are you running a compact or Std Road chainset?

• Std
    • Compact

Just trying to find out what the usage of Std vs compact chainsets are like in the community in SA.

Just borrowed a mates bike over in the UK and he's running a compact. I thought it was because he visits the Alps a lot but noticed it's more the norm here for everyday use.

I've never thought about what people run...

Post your ring size... as it were.

Edited by hellocolour

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run 52/36 and 11-23 at the back. If I was going to the alps I would ride a 11-25 at the back

Ah shite I voted before I read this bit

"Just trying to find out what the usage of Std vs compact chainsets are like in the community in SA."

Sorri

When I was in SA used a 53/39 if that helps, I shall change my vote

Ah shite I voted before I read this bit

"Just trying to find out what the usage of Std vs compact chainsets are like in the community in SA."

Sorri

When I was in SA used a 53/39 if that helps, I shall change my vote

What do you ride out there? The bike I've borrowed here is running 50/34 with 11- 28 on the back... as they say, 'ain't no mountain high enough'!

Honestly feel like a bit of a cheat but damn just did a 2km climb with max of 15% and an average of 9% and that was simple!

What do you ride out there? The bike I've borrowed here is running 50/34 with 11- 28 on the back... as they say, 'ain't no mountain high enough'!

Honestly feel like a bit of a cheat but damn just did a 2km climb with max of 15% and an average of 9% and that was simple!

50/34 - and I think its a 11/26* on the back. I've got a few cassette options depending on the route.

I changed to compact on the suggestion of a certain Dr Ferraris brother Stephano back in 2003 /4 when I subscribed to one of their online training programs. Its a program based on high cadence pedaling and I struggled to ride the climbs prescribed at the required cadence without exceeding the HR limit of the program.

Definitely makes climbing easier on the legs

*Edit: Changed 11/28 to 11/26 and removed "or 11/25"

Edited by SwissVan

50/34 front, 11/23 back. Not done much riding with it yet (fitted just after the Argus)

50/34 with 11/25 at the back.

Great for climbing.

The only ratio missing from a std crank is the 53-11 which I cant push for any sustained period anyway.

Its great during a race or training ride to overtake the "Macho Men" grinding up a hill with their std cranks.

Edited by funjunkie

53/39 but I (and my knees that seem to get older :blush: ) am starting to think I might go 50/34 one of these days. I think I'll wait for 1 of my boys to start outclimbing me, then swop his compact for my standard without telling him. I may be getting slower (?) but I'm getting more devious by the day! :devil:

just switched to a compact. Haven't really tested it out properly yet, but went on a short ride recently that included a small hill. I went up the hill without even noticing it ( was chatting to a friend ), so I guess I've made the right move :ph34r:

Opted for an 11-23 cassette though to cater for the smaller cranks.

I generally run a high cadence ( between 95 - 100 rpms)

The Sheldon Brown site also has a nice gearing ratio calclulator that shows you all the differences. If you can push it, a 50/11 is actually faster than a 53/12 if comparing.

Here's the link : http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I was actually thinking of changing my compact set up, its a bit of a dogsbreakfast at the moment

FSA crank set, shimano chain and sram cassette and its a bit noisy in some gears (not cross chain rubbing noise) but chain is noisy on the cassette