Are you running Compact or Std chainset?

T-Bob

116 members have voted

1. 1. Are you running a compact or Std Road chainset?

• Std
    • Compact

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running std (53/39 x 11/25), but I prefer a low cadence - have ridden 150km in the 53/11 to see if I can once. Lots of fellow cyclists have told me to increase my cadence and I've tried, but just don't feel comfortable with it. Did the Jock over the weekend and was still feeling strong at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm changing from a 11/28 to a 12/25. Will it affect my riding?

Whats your reason for changing?

With a 12 / 25 you might loose a bit of top speed and obviously the 28 for those really steep hills.

SRAM (Red) have a 11 / 26 but jinni its bloody expensive when compared to the other cassette options

i rode with a compact crank for the last 4 years and recently switched back to standard, as I bought an SRM power meter. I have to admit that I don't notice much of a difference but then I haven't had an opportunity to climb all that much since switching back to standard. I did Chappies and Suikerbossie in one ride and I did Red Hill and Slangkop on another ride and in both I didn't notice the difference between compact and standard. I love riding high cadence and used to enjoy the compact because i could climb at high cadence but I noticed that my strength suffered

Edited by Saudiq

I use to run 53/39 with 13/27 on my old bike. My current machine came with a compact 50/34 and 11/23 rear. I'm trying to find that sweet spot in the range at the back. I seldomly used my big blade with standard crank so normally I would ride on the 19-16 most days. I will most likely upgrade back to a standard crank but that means a new cassette as well with a 27 to tackle anything upwards.

Standard 53/39

Compact is for those scared of climbing

Heehee

Bring your Dale to Tzaneen Dale...

53/39 and 11-28. So lots of range at the back. Was a 11-23 which was hard work on the hills