Behan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Late response - was in Madagascar.

By now all the newspapers test drove it, but my personal opinion:

- Loved the gutters on the roof - no more rain straight into the window (I got wet from that just a week before the demo)

- A lot more stable on tar road at 130. They didn't take us on uphills to test if you could pass another car - probably still not. Also didn't experience cross-winds.

- I didn't like that the steering wheel was so sensitive at 130. You'll probably get use to it quickly.

- On the non-entry levels a nice little rack in the boot to level up the packing space. With my Jimny we just pack sleeping backs or small bags in that space to achieve the same.

- The boot is about 80 litres bigger, but still tiny. It's not a family car.

- The first pictures I saw I found them ugly, but the shape quickly grew on me!

- The biggest thing is probably the traction control. We drove around the 4x4 course at Bass lake. First the current Jimny had to go through each obstacle, carefully picking a line, and then the new Jimnys followed - just point the nose and go. Very impressive on cross-axles.

The steering seems to be a modern Suzuki thing, my wife's swift is like that too. No way I would take it on a long trip because of that steering.

You can... with a Nissan.

I have a lot of respect for the Datsun/ Nissan motors. For those old enough , remember the 1200 bakkie? There was even a advert where a 1200 motor was used to power a farm waterpump. Also all the great GTRs throughout the decades , the 240/260Z motors, etc. Nearly forgot....the Datsun SSS 1600. Edited by Tromp

The Nissan SR20DE/T motors are rated as one of the best four cylinders of all times.

With the RB25/26 as one of the best straight sixes of all times.

With the VR38DETT as one of the best V6's of all times.

The VH45DE is also a V8 that rates very high.

You can... with a Nissan.

In the late Nineties I was a sales rep, my company car was a Sentra 160GXi. I did 10000km a month in that car as my area was Western Cape, Botswana and Namibia. I drove that car up and down, and being young and stupid, often sat on the long straight roads out near Upington and in Namibia with the needle maxed. That car never gave me one single issue.

In the late Nineties I was a sales rep, my company car was a Sentra 160GXi. I did 10000km a month in that car as my area was Western Cape, Botswana and Namibia. I drove that car up and down, and being young and stupid, often sat on the long straight roads out near Upington and in Namibia with the needle maxed. That car never gave me one single issue.

In 2010, I was so close to getting a second hand Sentra 160 Gxi, from a lady who was working for the same car dealership I was working for. Took it for a test drive around town, and was quite impressed with the acceleration. Then a 2007 Polo came up, and being a newer car, I went for that. I should have gone for the Sentra.

We own a 1985 Suzuki, very bumpy little go anywhere car, currently a varsity run a round for my oldest. Would like to get this new one for her.

Couple months ago, mate of mine is here on holiday from his contract in Europe. He wants to go ride Breedts, which we duly do. On the way, we are having a chat. His Missus wants to buy a Jimny for her dad, as his car is getting long in the tooth. He is asking me if I think it has any off road capability being so small and all. I say, from what I’ve heard it holds its own pretty well.

Cut to a bit later, on the trail, about halfway up the Breedts climb, I hear a motor behind me. Granted, I’ve only done the Nek a few times, but I’ve never seen a car on the pass. Motorbikes, yes, but not cars.

I look over my shoulder and see a 4x4 in the distance, thinking maybe it’s a Land Cruiser or something. It gets closer and I realise it’s a bit smaller, and, lo and behold, it’s a Jimny. He comfortably, slowly but smoothly goes past. My mate who is a bit ahead of me, turns to see this car passing him… I shout ahead ‘Any more questions?’ and he shouts back ‘nope, I’m good…’

A little later we chatted to the driver as he was stopped at the lookout point on the summit with his family. Standard Jimny, standard factory tires. Says he has done the Breedts Pass many times…

I was well impressed.