Not having fun on a 26"? Not going to have fun on a27.5" or a 29er"

But my hair has started growing back ...... :whistling:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan

In the end, ride what you want, have fun on your bike.

G

Yip the common lesser spotted 29er regret answer

Gut feeling this is more for the UK/European market/sell as 26ers are still the norm there and 29ers have never really taken off...650b's might be the better market there with regard to sales

Guest Omega Man

Gut feeling this is more for the UK/European market/sell as 26ers are still the norm there and 29ers have never really taken off...650b's might be the better market there with regard to sales

True. I've been told that 29er have only really taken off here and in the states. This year in Morzine I only saw about 6 29ers. Having said hat it's not the environment for a 29er.

Does anyone know where I can see the geometry of these 27.5" bikes? Very interested in seeing that. Also for the Merida big seven.

Strangely can't find either of these, maybe i'm being blind... Very keen to see the Merida geometry, they tend to have quite aggressive geometries I think.

Edited by r0adrunner

Giant have sold millions of 26ers then they sold millions of 29ers to the same people. Now they are going to sell millions of of 27.5ers to the same bunch.

Quite funny.

their view: Good business.

G

Giant have sold millions of 26ers then they sold millions of 29ers to the same people. Now they are going to sell millions of of 27.5ers to the same bunch.

Quite funny.

Quite funny.

Exactly what I've been saying all along. To boost sales, its much harder to get new people to join the sport than what it is to tell people already in the sport that their equipment is obsolete and they need this or that new bike.

I think the there is a larger marketing induced technical slant on that article. If they openly relying on market feedback,that they dont yet have they openly admit to saying we taking a big chance. All the issues that they have addressed as problems have been dealt with by all the other brands, to me it sounds like they fired a lot of engineers and hired some accountants and marketing people instead.

In my eyes Giant always made great 26 inch bikes, but none of the 29ers, really cut it compared to the competition. I rode XTC and anthemns, and they were never an Epic/Scalpel/Flash/Air 9/ Stumpjumper.

So yeah, maybe putting a bit more tech into 29 inch wheels, would have saved them a lot of 27.5 inch investment.

But hey, have fun, ride your bike, it doesnt matter what the wheelsize is.

Yep, thats anything but an accurate technical article - healthy dose of marketing BS in there. The contact patch and roll over comparisons being a case in point. All designed to make the 27.5 look like its closer to sixer where it counts and to 29ers elsewhere. The actual figures show that its closer to 26 in all areas. But wait, that doesn't sound as good...

IMHO

I used to have a decent 26". Loved it but my problem was that after a 30km race my arms/hands/shoulders were stiff and sore, but like really sore.

Got a 29er on my own will (no influence from hub, friends etc) and immediately felt the difference in smoothness/softer ride which I liked. Felt a bit hesitant in the beginning due to forums saying that your turning ability etc will be influenced.

I turn just like I did with a 26", climb hills just like a 26", go faster down a hill than a 26" and do anything technical just like with a 26". So for me, I will never ever go 27.5"/650b.

I also don't agree with the k#k they post on these articles. They go too deep into the investigation. Many of the things they test aren't even noticed by novice/intermediate riders. The only noticable difference is the softness/smoothness of the ride between bikes. The rest is BS.

I think that no matter what your choice or any wise words, the choice remains with each unique individual. What you prefer and satisfies your needs. If you're happy doing the Cape Epic with a 24" rigid fork BMX/junior bike then go for it, as long as cycling makes you happy.

I won't ever bash someone who rides a 26" or 650b bike. I respect everyone's preference.

Edited by Wimmas

• 2 weeks later...

From BMC's blurb for the launch of their TrailFox 29er:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/revealed-bmc-tf01-29-%E2%80%93-trailfox-all-mountain-29er-with-150mm-of-travel/2

Efficient

While the trailfox has grown in downhill capability, it has maintained its notorious climbing efficiency. The 29er wheels reduce rolling resistance and increase grip, while the APS suspension offers the best traction and optimized power transfer thanks to its anti-squat characteristics. The TF03 frame is made of triple butted and hydroformed aluminium and its stiffness remains identical to the full carbon TF01 model.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/BMC-TF01-Testing-Results.jpg

Edited by The Crow

From BMC's blurb for the launch of their TrailFox 29er:

http://reviews.mtbr....0mm-of-travel/2

Efficient

While the trailfox has grown in downhill capability, it has maintained its notorious climbing efficiency. The 29er wheels reduce rolling resistance and increase grip, while the APS suspension offers the best traction and optimized power transfer thanks to its anti-squat characteristics. The TF03 frame is made of triple butted and hydroformed aluminium and its stiffness remains identical to the full carbon TF01 model.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/BMC-TF01-Testing-Results.jpg

What do the numbers on the Y-axis reflect?