So Giant may dump their 29ers!

nigelhicks

Anthem 29er for the sort of riding I mainly do.

Trance 27.5 140mm for the the sort of riding I'd like to do (more of at least).

Edited by beanz

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2c - I think the 29er is here to stay.

26 or 650B will die off - they're too similar to both remain in the marketplace.

I reckon the future will be 650B and 29er.

I guess we'll see in 5 years huh?

26 or 650B will die off - they're too similar to both remain in the marketplace.

I guess we'll see Friday Fight Club about it for in 5 years huh?

Fixed it for you :whistling: :whistling:

Pfffffft...

You just remove your foot out of your mouth to give the other one a chance, don't you?

answer the question

Guest Omega Man

Ja. I reckon you right.

Hmm... I don't really care about other guys' futures, as long as mine involves 26'rs.

Anyone prepared to guess the current population of 26er's vs 29er's? I think that the 26er will be around still when none of us can ride anymore. For this reason there will remain a market for Maintenance and spares for many years to come. However, at a far more reasonable cost,though.

Was talking to one of the wholesalers recently and they are clearing out their 26er stock. (Spares, tyres, tubes etc.)

If I compare the geo stats of the Trance size L to my Reign sixer in the same size, I see .1" shorter stays on my Reign, .2"longer TT on the Trance and a wheelbase less than 1" longer. 6 of one...

Why would they want the chainstays any shorter when the longer wheelbase is the attraction?

Chain stay length is not the only factor that determines wheelbase, the effective top tube length and head angle also influence the length of the wheelbase.

A long wheelbase gives a stable ride, but it compromises handling in tight turns, switchbacks and corners. Therefore bike designers need to find the best wheelbase for the best compromise between stability and handling.

Long chainstays means that designers are limited in their freedom in terms of top tube length and head angle selection.

Due to the bigger wheels most 29" bikes already have a long enough wheelbase, and in order to make the top tube longer or the head angle slacker, without lengthening the wheelbase, the chainstay length needs to be reduced, which is not possible on all suspension designs.

So in short, the longer wheelbase is definitely not an attraction, in fact on many 29" bikes it is a drawback.

If I compare the geo stats of the Trance size L to my Reign sixer in the same size, I see .1" shorter stays on my Reign, .2"longer TT on the Trance and a wheelbase less than 1" longer. 6 of one...

I did the same exercise before buying the TX29er. It's uncanny how similar the two bikes feel to ride.

My take on chainstay length is what Brian Fantana says in terms of getting the optimal wheelbase length without compromises such as having too steep a head angle, plus:

Long chainstays means the bottom bracket is further forward relative to the wheels, which pushes the riders center of gravity further forward in the neutral position. This is an advantage on steep climbs but a disadvantage for pretty much everything else.

Getting the best handling possible out of a bike is mainly an exercise in getting the body weight in the right place at the right time relative to where the wheels are. And that's easier and more comfortable to do from a starting position slightly further back on the bike as it's easier to lean forwards than to hang backwards.

With long chainstays, on steep downhills it's harder to get weight further back. And things like wheelies and manuals and jumps are harder to do with the weight further forward but endos and OTBs are going to be easier!

Edited by beanz

Never saw the point of 29er dual sussers anyway.

It's like a 26 Dual susser ... but with bigger wheels ..

It makes bumps smoother and absorbs shock when you drop off a ledge.

Interesting, Giant is scrapping 29ers while Specialized is going all out 29er ?

Seems like I'll have to find a 26er to be in the "different" group now...