My latest baby - what a belter!

jmaccelari

I have just taken delivery of this:

post-2652-0-99374000-1375203703_thumb.jpg

It's a steel frame single speed Gates CenterBelt belt driven commuter! Woohoo!

The belt drive system is basically a fancy fan belt. They reckon these things can last up to 20 000 kms. Combined with no gears and the fact that it needs no lubrication means this should be a seriously low-maintenance bike. Basically just keep it clean...

The "CenterDrive" thing means there is a small groove that runs along the middle of the belt that meshes with a ridge in the centre of the "chainring". This means that guides are not required to keep the belt on - which leads to it looking like the belt is going to slip off the chainring at any time since nothing is holding it on!

post-2652-0-81451200-1375203972_thumb.jpg

OK, so this ain't much of a review (yet), but I'm taking it for its first run tomorrow...

Edited by jmaccelari

Very nice! Must look wierd when you look down at the belt while riding? Please let us know how it feels? And how do you replace it? It doesnt join like a normal chain?

Very nice! Must look wierd when you look down at the belt while riding? Please let us know how it feels? And how do you replace it? It doesnt join like a normal chain?

The frame will split somewhere to allow fitment and removal of the belt.

The frame needs to have a split somewhere.

EDIT: RYAN...SNAP YOU OWE ME A COKE.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

why do you need to split the frame? surely you can just take off the rear wheel and slip the belt off?

these belt drive things look cool i must say , i see the system advertised now in a few places .

Nice set up OP .

why do you need to split the frame? surely you can just take off the rear wheel and slip the belt off?

its to get the belt on and off for replacement , remember the your chain goes through the rear trangle . try take a chain off your bike without splitting the frame ( no can do ) and the belts come as one peace you cant join them so you then need a frame that can open up on the rear triangle .

Edited by Iron

its to get the belt on and off for replacement , remember the your chsain goes through the rear trangle . try take a chain off your bike without splitting the frame ( bo can do ) and the belts come as one peace you cant join them so you then need a frame that can open up on the rear triangle .

bo must be talented... Edited by Ryanpmb