Flagging on Strava

LouisLipz

Why is being competitive sad? So you reckon all competitive sportsmen should get a life? Go tel Usain Bolt not to try so hard in the 100m dash - its just sad.

Easy up feller.

Strava is a fun tool designed to add some spice to your ride but when the point of the ride goes from training or having fun to "winning" a Strava segment then perhaps your priorities are about face.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strava - turning normal cyclists into drama queens since whenever they started Strava.

Heeheee

Easy up feller.

Strava is a fun tool designed to add some spice to your ride but when the point of the ride goes from training or having fun to "winning" a Strava segment then perhaps your priorities are about face.

and I thought it was only in the Windy City that people wanted to win all the training rides....

Why is being competitive sad? So you reckon all competitive sportsmen should get a life? Go tel Usain Bolt not to try so hard in the 100m dash - its just sad.

Why not enter a proper race(like usian does btw, where people line up next to each other) and measure yourself based on that. Strava is cool, fun, quirky but as a measuring stick for your ability....mmmm dunno so much.

Chunks I know nothing about Strava, but then I am a pretend cyclist... what are these flags you speak of... chequered ones, red ones????

For me it's usually just a white flag as I resign myself to being mediocre at best :blush: But some of these okes get a full Grand Prix salute every time they hit their local trail and blast a couple wannabee old aunties out the path :eek:

and I thought it was only in the Windy City that people wanted to win all the training rides....

You've obviously never "trained" in the south of Jhb :eek:

Plus there is the age old saying: One man on a bike is a training ride - two or more is a RACE!

If you want to be that competitive: Get an A seeding, Get a personalised number plate, get quads like Quadzilla, get to the finish first and stand on the podium have pictures taken of you and then nobody can flag you.

Sure it's not nice if someone flags your legitimate ride but dont let that ruin the sport for you.

For me it's usually just a white flag as I resign myself to being mediocre at best :blush: But some of these okes get a full Grand Prix salute every time they hit their local trail and blast a couple wannabee old aunties out the path :eek:

I wonder if champagne and podium girls await them at the end...

So glad I never got sucked in to the Strava black hole.

You spend so much time in the pub it was never going to be a problem for you

So you go out for a fun ride in the mountains and yes it's a lot of fun - you smell the fresh ground and hear the birds singing etc. Then you hit a popular Strava segment and some competitive juices start flowing. Should you now not try a bit harder? Should you not try and see how high you can get up on the leaderboard? Should you not try and be on top of the leaderboard? And if you do end up on top of the leaderboard after a big effort, shoud you not be pissed if someone flags you?

It's exaclty the competitiveness that Strava adds to cycing which makes it more fun for me. Some people see that as "taking it too serious"

Edited by LouisLipz

It loses its flavour quite quick...

different strokes for different folks. If you find it boring, thats fine. Other people like to push themselves in their training and strava KOM's is a great way of doing just that

So you go out for a fun ride in the mountains and yes it's a lot of fun - you smell the fresh ground and hear the birds singing etc. Then you hit a popular Strava segment and some competitive juices start flowing. Should you now not try a bit harder? Should you not try and see how high you can get up on the leaderboard? Should you not try and be on top of the leaderboard? And if you do end up on top of the leaderboard after a big effort, shoud you not be pissed if someone flags you?

It's exaclty the competitiveness that Strava adds to cycing which makes it more fun for me. Some people see that as "taking it too serious"

Go for it bud...to each their own. :thumbup: