Flagging on Strava

LouisLipz

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is enjoying the competitive edge that strava brings to your training called "taking it too serious"?

The fact that you are competitive does not make you a "sad" person. The fact that your get pissed off because someone flagged your ride makes this a sad case in my eyes. See it as a challenge and do the ride again, better your time even further and leave it there. The last thing people want to hear is how many KOM's you have and how great a 29er is.

Go to race, look someone in they eye on a climb and see if you can make them pop...much more rewarding than this virtual kuk.

Yup - that sums it up for me - same conditions for everyone.

Mano e mano is the only way to race.

Strava has too many variables - if you "raced" the segment just after some rain and had super grippy conditions with a force 10 tailwind are you really better than the other guy that "raced" it in dry conditions where marbles on hardpack was the order of the day into a block headwind?

It's best (wo)man on the day not best person on any given day.

That said - use Strava as a motivitional tool and enjoy the rivalry - just don't get sucked into the delusions of grandeur that makes you yell at women and children on the spruit because they're ruining your Strava time...

The fact that you are competitive does not make you a "sad" person. The fact that your get pissed off because someone flagged your ride makes this a sad case in my eyes. See it as a challenge and do the ride again, better your time even further and leave it there. The last thing people want to hear is how many KOM's you have and how great a 29er is.

Hands Hennie a bells. Far more eloquent and far less sarcastic than me.

We're old school Fabes. But we still had PT at school. And we were compelled to do sport (although I loved my sport). Now parents must pay for their kids to get exercise as an extra curriculum activity. Not everybody can afford that. This weekend's PPA MTB race cost me R450 for my wife and I to enter. Never mind the fuel expense for driving 380 km there and back. Just the other day a daughter of a mate of mine was watching Wimbledon and said "look daddy, they're playing the same tennis game we play on the Wii box"!! I kid you not. I think Strava's place will evolve as long as there's a bicycle at hand. And it can only be good. Obviously it can never substitute a race

I agree with everything you have said but I still think he is taking it to seriously

I think some people use Strava to make a name for themselves.

I do believe these same people will do every race under the sun purely for the reason that "if I can't get my name in lights with results, I will become a legend just by showing my face at races all the time"

The science of Strava segmant leaderboard, a breakdown of the stats - you can take this as gospel (honest) :devil:

We have 1000 riders!

500 don't know it's a segmant

250 don't care that it's a segmant despite knowing it's one

150 don't push themselves because they're actually enjoying their ride

75 have ridden significant kms before they get to that point

20 have only ever ridden it once and don't know the intracacies of it

5 ride it all the time and know it like the back of their hand because it's their KOM and even if they have to drive to the base of it and warm up on their trainers - they are going to win damnit, win, win win!!!! :whistling:

Yup - that sums it up for me - same conditions for everyone.

Mano e mano is the only way to race.

Strava has too many variables - if you "raced" the segment just after some rain and had super grippy conditions with a force 10 tailwind are you really better than the other guy that "raced" it in dry conditions where marbles on hardpack was the order of the day into a block headwind?

It's best (wo)man on the day not best person on any given day.

That said - use Strava as a motivitional tool and enjoy the rivalry - just don't get sucked into the delusions of grandeur that makes you yell at women and children on the spruit because they're ruining your Strava time...

My vote for Best post award

I hear that "Cadence" is the new Strava anyway.

Says the man with the "St John's Wood Cup" segment....its the crown jewel of all segments imo

I use Strava to train against my own times / personal best. Yesterday I literately only timed one single track downhill to see how much faster my 26" Duel Suspension was against my 29er hardtail. I was pleasantly surprised. :eek:

I hear that "Cadence" is the new Strava anyway.

Hijack on : Who has done the Crator Cruise Ultra with a single speed and can you recommend a gear ratio for me? Going to try and make my virgin SS race the Crator Cruise. Hijack Off.