Chlorine-free swimming pools in JHB?

zaidmo

Hi

I currently train at a Planet Fitness, but I'm concerned about swimming in chlorinated pools. Are there any pools in central Johannesburg that are chlorine free, where I can train at? Preferably one where an instructor is available (need to improve technique and distance).

Do you all train in chlorinated water / have any concerns/ take precautions (e.g anti-oxidants like vitamin c)?

Thanks

Zaid

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure one get pools thats not chlorinated, and if so i think the risks are more, think about all the pee and other gunk getting into the water and with public facilities whose germs are you sharing?

Edited by Tjokkits

whats the issue with Chlorinated pools Zaid? people have been using them for years without problems.

Well if you are very blonde like my family and you swim every day it does turn your hair green.

Also your immune system does not get a boost from having to tackle all the other life forms in the pool.

That's two issues.

Chlorine is a dangerous chemical linked to cancers. It's a proven substance that is carcinogenic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen.

Usa president Clnton signed a health bill to have all drinking water free of Chlorine in 2018. Swimming pools have very high consintrations and this gets into you through you body and mouth.

All new gym pools in the Usa use hydrolysis and ozone which is ultra safe. This would be a great thing for Platinum to do , but we are a somwhat backwards in SA to these issues.

Dr Carl Alberts from the Sa cancer panel and the Usa panel recommend filtering you drinking water. The Little luxury vitality filters have been approved by the usa cancer panel and SGS France to remove 99,9% bad and are very Afrodable , sold in SA.

There is real factual evidence of cancer linked to chlorine use. Don't laugh this one off. In city's 1 out of 6 will get cancer in country areas 1 out 12 will get cancer.

Only issues noted, water, electrical field from power lines and chemicals in food.

Chlorine is a dangerous chemical linked to cancers. It's a proven substance that is carcinogenic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen.

Usa president Clnton signed a health bill to have all drinking water free of Chlorine in 2018. Swimming pools have very high consintrations and this gets into you through you body and mouth.

All new gym pools in the Usa use hydrolysis and ozone which is ultra safe. This would be a great thing for Platinum to do , but we are a somwhat backwards in SA to these issues.

Dr Carl Alberts from the Sa cancer panel and the Usa panel recommend filtering you drinking water. The Little luxury vitality filters have been approved by the usa cancer panel and SGS France to remove 99,9% bad and are very Afrodable , sold in SA.

There is real factual evidence of cancer linked to chlorine use. Don't laugh this one off. In city's 1 out of 6 will get cancer in country areas 1 out 12 will get cancer.

Only issues noted, water, electrical field from power lines and chemicals in food.

Thanks did not know that

Well if you are very blonde like my family and you swim every day it does turn your hair green.

Also your immune system does not get a boost from having to tackle all the other life forms in the pool.

That's two issues.

no jokes, but if you wash your hair with red shampoo, it sorts it out, turnes blonde again

whats the issue with Chlorinated pools Zaid? people have been using them for years without problems.

Umm - NO.... there appears to be a long term lung damage problem - minor, but there, especially in long term swimmers who spend large amounts of time in the pool.

It is also quite possibly related to some pools being over chlorinated - I have not yet seen a definitive study - very early days as a subject being studied.

In summer I swim at Emmarentia Dam (without incident) - but I've been cautioned by some friends that there may be some industrial waste feeding into the dam

Is your issue Chorine for sanitising the water or stabilised chlorine present in the water? Salt water pools still use chlorine for the sanitising action but electrically separate the chlorine from the sodium for a period. During this period the chlorine kills the bugs then recombines back to salt. As a result there is no obvious chlorine presence in the pool.

Salt water pools are far more gentle on the skin, hair and airways.

Typically pools are saltier than tears but not as salty as the sea. The water does not taste particularly salty but it is noticeably different to water with stabilised chlorine presence.

VA Victory Park is salt water.

I dont like public pools.. Dont want to come out the water with someone elses snot clinging to my hair! :D

Umm - NO.... there appears to be a long term lung damage problem - minor, but there, especially in long term swimmers who spend large amounts of time in the pool.

It is also quite possibly related to some pools being over chlorinated - I have not yet seen a definitive study - very early days as a subject being studied.

Years ago I was swimming with a tri squad in Benoni at a local gym (Sports Connection, now Virgin Active) in the mornings before work, I developed a cough that persisted and became a constant irritation even when not training and had to stop training at that pool. Other members of the squad also complained of similar issues.

The gym management at the time insisted that the pool chlorine levels were normal.

Eventually after numerous complaints it was established that "the boxes" working for the gym that were responsible for the pool used to dump loads of chlorine into the pool at night just before closing time, switch everything off (pumps) and then cover the pool to retain the heat. First thing in the morning usually minutes before we started swimming everything was switched on and the pool uncovered.

My local GP specializes in breathing issues and on occasion he has me doing these lung function tests where you sit in a sealed off chamber and have to take a deep breath and then blow into a pipe, most times they ask me to redo it again to verify as the result is lower than what is expected....Sometimes I wonder if its not related to the above chlorine issue from many years ago... :blink: :unsure:

Virgin Active pools used to have salt water, but I heard from the swim instructor at my gym that they are changing all their pools to chlorine, and all the new VA pools are to be chlorianted pools