2k Paint in a "rattle" can

Pappa Bear

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering a 500ml standard colour and 500ml hardner would set you back R150-180 thats not a bad deal seeing as you dont need the schlep of a compressor etc, downside though is that you dont have control over the mix ratio and also the nozzle of the can, at least with a spray gun you can vary / control the spray a bit better.

Not cycling related but paint related so i thought I'll add it, this is my 33% Super Decathlon (3.3m wingspan) that was sprayed with 2k.

Also dont forget to get the matching primer in a can.

post-18786-0-22704900-1376554235_thumb.jpg

I don't know how similar it is but try Montana spray paint, what the writer use on walls and trains etc. Way better quality than the standard stuff you get at the hardware and much less than R200 a can. Call Shelf Life on +27 21 422 3931 and ask them about the similarities to what you looking for to see if it'll work. I know guys have painted cars with it before.

Bobbo, was that RC plane of yours sprayed with the canned 2K or with a spray gun and compressor? It really looks like a super quality finish.

Bobbo, was that RC plane of yours sprayed with the canned 2K or with a spray gun and compressor? It really looks like a super quality finish.

Spray gun and Compressor, the volume required was too much for a can, think we went through about 2lt Clear, 2l white, 1l grey and 1l Metallic blue. Also used about 3lt MS primer on it before we did the masking and final colour (Total cost was around R1300 just in paint :blush: )

Was sprayed inside my mates garage and the finish came out amazing, although there are a few small issues only my mate and myself know about them, :whistling: .

Downside with the plane is that you cant polish it unike a bike frame so I would expect an even better finish doing a frame.

I'm stripping down my old GT and will be redoing her in Ford Focus Orange (with some added metallic) base, then matte black over it with decals / masks in place, something similar to the KTM bikes

Spray gun and Compressor, the volume required was too much for a can, think we went through about 2lt Clear, 2l white, 1l grey and 1l Metallic blue. Also used about 3lt MS primer on it before we did the masking and final colour (Total cost was around R1300 just in paint :blush: )

Was sprayed inside my mates garage and the finish came out amazing, although there are a few small issues only my mate and myself know about them, :whistling: .

Downside with the plane is that you cant polish it unike a bike frame so I would expect an even better finish doing a frame.

I'm stripping down my old GT and will be redoing her in Ford Focus Orange (with some added metallic) base, then matte black over it with decals / masks in place, something similar to the KTM bikes

dude that sounds seriously good! where are you getting your paint from? I have been using a dodgy little spot in pretoria but its such a quest to get to and has very limited stock. (I want to do my frame in a light blue with metallic fleck and then ford focus orange detailing.)

http://www.tonyscolours.co.za/

Back of Boysens / Ophirton, from AUckland park if you come through fordsburg its about 10mins max, :-)

Cnr. Fraser & Ophir Booysens Road, Booysens, 2091

Postal: P.O. Box 1063 Mulbarton 2059

Paints Tel: 27 11 493-9030/1

Parts Tel: 27 11 493-3205/6007

Direct Orders Tel: 27 11 493-4428

They are probably not the cheapest (although their pricing is still very good) but their service is excellent, we shot the blue the one morning and then looked at it and decided it didnt sparkle enough, took the can back and they added another 200ml of metallic in for nothing just to get it to shine.

post-18786-0-95947600-1376556078_thumb.jpg

Damn but you like to put paint on.... ever used a paint thickness gauge on that - just for reference?

You should do the bike the other way round - with inverted decals - then you can just use an airbrush to do the colour decals - saves a ton of paint.

Damn but you like to put paint on.... ever used a paint thickness gauge on that - just for reference?

You should do the bike the other way round - with inverted decals - then you can just use an airbrush to do the colour decals - saves a ton of paint.

And probably a few trees as well, the amount of masking that we had to do was frightening.

Got my paint..... think it is 400 or 440ml. Wil do some sanding tonight and then spray my fork over te weekend.

Will post pics !

Edited by Pappa Bear