WeighLess for your F29

Caltrigger

I recently bought a Cannondale F29 C3 or Fash 3 Carbon.

Out the box this bike is 10.7kgs and is by far the best value for money hardtail F29 Cannondale offers and competes very well against similarly spec'd bikes from other manufacturers.

I'm no weight weenie or racing snake but I have found some ways of shaving some weight off this bike without having to spend huge amounts of money!

The obvious thing to do to this bike is shed the tubes and go tubeless...second to that I would say a big saving could be made with lighter wheels, namely ZTR's.These are easy gains and cost money but there are ways to get a little more off for almost nothing.

I managed to shave off 154g with very little cost and just some time and effort. I'm a 70kg rider and decided I dont need 180mm rotors to stop with. I got an almost new 140mm Rotor off TheHub and changed out the 180/160 combination for a 160/140mm and all it cost me was R195!!

180mm vs 140mm rotor - saved 76g

Changed to Chunky ESI grips and lost the standard brake bolts for a 78g loss. I guess with Titanium bolts one could save more but the SS ones work just fine!

I'm close to 10kg's flat incl. pedals without carbon bars or stem or new wheels....

Maybe other F29 owners have done the same and can add their weight loss diet plan or comment on these or other ideas.

post-27106-0-56237000-1376657154_thumb.jpeg

post-27106-0-29361600-1376657179_thumb.jpeg

post-27106-0-63079900-1376657223_thumb.jpg

post-27106-0-41634300-1376657416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caltrigger

Nice, and your current seatpost weigh a ton, even the cannondale carbon one is heavy, I got myself the Easton EC90 2nd hand on the hub for cheap, and they are light. And like you said you can do the wheels, bar etc. you will get it close to 9kg.

You made it sound like you swopped the 180mm for the 140mm, glad to see from your pick that its not what you had done.

Edited by koukie

I'm stil undecided on a FSA setback or a SAVE post. I don't find the ride that hard so flex is not a big deal. A nice ENVE wouldn't be ugly but would be ugly on the bank balance.

Why not a KCNC, they are light. Like I said the SAVE posts are not really light, if I remember correctly.

Edited by koukie

It's not a Dale but... My ally Niner EMD comes in at 10.4kg. With ally bar, XT cranks & lock on grips. Carbon bar and carbon crank going on soon.

post-12909-0-80018100-1376661397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb

From here on in, the weight reductions will cost you MORE than the weight's worth in Gold.

So, read the attached article, and think again...

Yes i'm sure weightweenieness is a disease...a very costly one.

Edited by koukie

Have the same bike in a large. 9,4 kg.

Easton ec90 seatpost

Fsa carbon handle bar

Easygrips Chunky grips

XX shifters

XX rear deraileur. XO front

Rotor 3d+ crank

Custom built arch ex wheels. Hope EVO PRO 2 Rear Hub and Weston O2 Lefty front Not too light but very strong.

Formula R1 Brakes with matchmaker clamps

Will be removing the seatpost in the next 2 weeks and replace it with a SAVE post.

Edited by Meentb

Just take a dump before you go out riding, gauranteed to drop your weight by at least as much and would hardly cost you anything besides toiletpaper

I did the following and dropped almost 2 kg off my 2012 F3 C.

crest rims with tune Hubs (1420gr)

KCNC seatpost (still flexes to help with comfort)

lighter ally bar (250gr vs 300 of the oem) dont like carbon bars and post

Hollowgram cranks (saved 300gr)

XTR shifters, brakes, front derailer and pedals

Ikon tyres

Gobi seat (heavier)

total weight 9.6kg

can go to 9 kg or less with the following

sealant out - not the best idea

xtr cluster and derailer (250gr lighter than xt)

ligher seat (gobi is 230gr) could save 60gr

carbon bar (130gr)

crank pedals instead of xtr (100gr ish)

sram over shimano drivetrain (around 350gr)

total weight still to save 640ish grams

Mike