Chain cleaner?!

Maximis

Hi guys!

Is a chain cleaner worth the buy? I have always washed my chain myself, I do it regularly after every major ride... Have done so for many years now. Is it worth me rather using a chain cleaner? Do they work as well or better? Are they easy to use?

IMO there's nothing more important to me than starting a ride with a shiny chain and spotless drive train.

Shot

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. I always cleaned my chain myself. Bought one at Mr Price sport. Cheap. Really cleans a chain well.

For me, i put my chain in a empty 5l Bottle, pour Clean Green in just so that it covers the chain, shake it all about, leave it for a couple of minutes, and voila, Clean Chain.............

I've started using M70 engine / parts degreaser on my chain with the cleaner and it's sparkly after two rounds of rinse and repeat. Then lube it with chain saw oil/motor oil combo and I'm sailing smooth.

They all become brittle after a while. Found easiest solution to be a bottle with wide enough opening, put chain in, cover with either diesel or parafin, put cap on, soak for an hour, shake vigorously.

Afterwards I filter diesel to remove solids and some impurities. Diesel can be recycled for re-use later.

Also took to alternate between 2 chains, soak one whilst I put other on for that week thereby reducing downtime and give you time to clean dirty one.

I put chain in container (one I dont plan to keep) pour in some turps and shake. I leave it in there while I wash rest of bike (giving it a few shakes in between), remove rinse and it is perfectly clean and shiny in a short time.

Is there nobody using something that is bio-degradable ??

What do you do with the petrol, diesel......when u finished with it?

Is there nobody using something that is bio-degradable ??

What do you do with the petrol, diesel......when u finished with it?

Ah Man, are u a Greenie

Chain cleaner with Clean Green. Putting petrol or parrafin in a chain cleaner just messes it up. Alternatively spray engine cleaner on chain and rinse. Then use Clean Green afterwards.

I think so. I always cleaned my chain myself. Bought one at Mr Price sport. Cheap. Really cleans a chain well.

I also have one of the Mr P specials and it works 100%. Its great for those quick cleans but I also clean my chain in a bottle of benzine after a couple of washes. I know some Hubbers use two chains, one on the bike and another in the cleaning liquid.

I also use wet lube and find the chain cleaner works great here as the lube belongs inside the rollers, not on the outside and this what the chain cleaner is good at.

The 1min mag wheel cleaner is the great stuff and it's an emulsifier so you just rinse the chain with water and dry with a rag.