Chain cleaner?!

Maximis

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys seriously remove your chain like once a week and do this??

Nooooo.....I'm not going to mention my regime here, some chain lover will report me for chain abuse.

Unless my chain is broken / worn out or some other mechanical reason that requires removal (Note cleaning is not a mechanical reason) it stays put where it belongs on the bike.

Nooooo.....I'm not going to mention my regime here, some chain lover will report me for chain abuse.

Unless my chain is broken / worn out or some other mechanical reason that requires removal (Note cleaning is not a mechanical reason) it stays put where it belongs on the bike.

I think they'd report me as well :whistling:

Please do NOT use benzene - it's carcinogenic.

What about Parrafin? see a few people like using it

I think they'd report me as well :whistling:

No no by all means keep it on if it works for you, I just find it a really basic thing to do so if I am busy cleaning my bike it is the very first thing I do...pop chain in degreaser. Pop back on when I want to lube. Its hardly any admin and imo adds some life to the whole drivetrain, not just the chain, but that is just me.

Do you guys seriously remove your chain like once a week and do this??

Nope. I clean mine every 2 weeks but never take it off.

Why not, its simple enough, clip chain off..5 sec max...put in tub of clean green...wash off with water after a couple hours...maybe 1 min, pop back on with quicklink...5 sec again for a grand total of 1 minute and 10 sec

I hope you replace that quick link every time as per manufacturers requirement. You are not allowed to re-use it.

You can.

But then again, you CAN end up like my friend in hospital when his quick link broke because of to much "on and off"

Nope. I clean mine every 2 weeks but never take it off.

I hope you replace that quick link every time as per manufacturers requirement. You are not allowed to re-use it.

You can.

But then again, you CAN end up like my friend in hospital when his quick link broke because of to much "on and off"

its a re-usable one...not SRAM....can't remember the make but it works a little different to the SRAM 10spd one which is near impossible to fit and remove without a tool. Think its a KMC link

PS how did the chain cause him to have such a big fall that he ended up in hospital?

Edited by rouxtjie

Is there nobody using something that is bio-degradable ??

What do you do with the petrol, diesel......when u finished with it?

Throw it in a river

No no by all means keep it on if it works for you, I just find it a really basic thing to do so if I am busy cleaning my bike it is the very first thing I do...pop chain in degreaser. Pop back on when I want to lube. Its hardly any admin and imo adds some life to the whole drivetrain, not just the chain, but that is just me.

Yeah its different strokes for different folks, not saying my regime is the best method but for me with limited time it works. I wipe it down, re lube and then wipe off the excess on a fairly regular basis (as required by the conditions).

I believe that the majority of chain breakages while out riding occur as a result of people installing their chains links incorrectly (although this is probably less relevant now with the new quick links compared to the old days with the shimano drive pin method).

Also...the only time your chain is really nice and clean is while its standing at home just after you installed it, half n hour after starting the next ride its more than likely full of dust / mud again...back to square one...

Yeah its different strokes for different folks, not saying my regime is the best method but for me with limited time it works. I wipe it down, re lube and then wipe off the excess on a fairly regular basis (as required by the conditions).

I believe that the majority of chain breakages while out riding occur as a result of people installing their chains links incorrectly (although this is probably less relevant now with the new quick links compared to the old days with the shimano drive pin method).

Also...the only time your chain is really nice and clean is while its standing at home just after you installed it, half n hour after starting the next ride its more than likely full of dust / mud again...back to square one...

True, I know I am chasing my own tail ito keeping it absolutely clean, but it keep my drivetrain on the whole lasting longer. And like I said, if it was hours of work, I wouldn't have bothered but it takes me no more than a minute to pop off, wash and put back on...its part of my cleaning ritual hahaha

Chainscrubber from Parktools and engine cleaner. Works a treat. Start with engine cleaner, rinse with water, dry with rag and you have a clean chain in 10 minutes.

Second the park tool scrubber - I never take the chain off and use clean green and then water to rinse in the scrubber chaning the water about 4 times. Nothing could be simpler. Towel dry and lube.

I have used every method in the book to clean my chain, those plastic chain cleaners works great but only if you busy cleaning your bike, because it throws degreaser all over the drive train. When I ran 9 speed I used a superlink and removed it when I was cleaning 9 spd links are re-useable.

Now with 10spd you not supposed to re-use the superlink but I do anyway, until I cannot hear it click back into the lock position, which means its worn.

So now I dry brush the chain after every ride while it's still on the bike with one of those funny looking brushes that looks like Jack the Ripper weapon of choice. I brush all the gunk off the chain, dig out and brush the cluster and brush the chainrings. Then I blow everything off with my home compressor fitted with one of those little airguns, but you must stick the nozzle right up against the links to blow everything off. Then I hold a cloth over the chain while I turn the cranks.

Re-lube with engine / chainsaw oil mixture

You cannot believe how clean the chain is afterwards.

Then 1 X month I remove the chain, cluster and chainrings, and clean it in my parts washer.

Best tool investments you can make.

Small compressor from Builders Wharehouse, I got mine on a special for 899 ronds, already paid for itself after all the tubeless conversions I've done

Small 20 L parts washer with built in pump I got mine from a nut and bolt supplier in Benrose for 700 ronds

10spd link removal pliers

Cluster removal tool

Place chain in parfin in sonic cleaner.

Yes there is the explision risk but It life is full of compormises.