Chain cleaner?!

Maximis

Sunlight liquid and warm water, I only use wax lubes like Go and Squirt on my chain and it cleans them up a treat.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a singlespeed and a geared bike, I use different ways to clean the chains.

Geared 10spd chain...as per other suggestion, pop quicklink, remove chain, put in tub of clean green, leave for a day, rinse under warm water.

Singlespeed...halflink...now these chains don't like to be broken, use a chain cleaner made by ryder here with half clean green, half water...been working perfectly for the last year. only thing is you have to be super careful with clean green around anything that has a bearing in it....hub, bb shell.

so i heard that you should not clean your chain after every ride with turps, paraffin, de-greasers, etc as it get rid of all lubrication in the links which might not get properly lubricated again once you lube it afterwards.

thoughts?

so i heard that you should not clean your chain after every ride with turps, paraffin, de-greasers, etc as it get rid of all lubrication in the links which might not get properly lubricated again once you lube it afterwards.

thoughts?

a clean drivetrain is a happy drivetrain(chain, cassette and chainrings)....I clean it after every ride

Sunlight liquid and warm water, I only use wax lubes like Go and Squirt on my chain and it cleans them up a treat.

Gona try this. I also only use Squirt. Will be a much cheaper alternative to what I'm using at the moment

Any cleaner and the bottle shake technique will remove the grease/oil from inside the rollers, how do you get the oil back into the rollers?

Any cleaner and the bottle shake technique will remove the grease/oil from inside the rollers, how do you get the oil back into the rollers?

You put lube on the chain the day before you go riding....this will give the lube enough time to penetrate the whole chain.

By using oil (and not wax)... :whistling: That puts me on mr Borman's christmas card list, I presume. No worries, I know the way out the door...

Chainscrubber from Parktools and engine cleaner. Works a treat. Start with engine cleaner, rinse with water, dry with rag and you have a clean chain in 10 minutes.

Is there nobody using something that is bio-degradable ??

What do you do with the petrol, diesel......when u finished with it?

I use parraffin - and keep on re0using the same lot for many times over - each time the grime/gunck just settles to the bottom and I decant into an new containes (powerade bottle).

350 mL have lasted me many months. When finished - you can burn it in your braai!! least impact on environemnt.

PS: cleaning takes a couple of minutes - not hours as someome else reported...total overkill!

Do you guys seriously remove your chain like once a week and do this??

once every 2 weeks depending on the train I rode (and when the chain remover tool is around) ^_^

Do you guys seriously remove your chain like once a week and do this??

Why not, its simple enough, clip chain off..5 sec max...put in tub of clean green...wash off with water after a couple hours...maybe 1 min, pop back on with quicklink...5 sec again for a grand total of 1 minute and 10 sec

I also have one of the Mr P specials and it works 100%. Its great for those quick cleans but I also clean my chain in a bottle of benzine after a couple of washes. I

Please do NOT use benzene - it's carcinogenic.

Parktool chain cleaner with sunlight, works like a charm.

Then re-oil once dry with the purple stuff.

G

Paraffin seems to be the best for me. Learnt that from my LBS.

Paraffin works great, especially if you use a thick lube. However, its messy and a bit of a mission. I just use FGS chain cleaner after each ride, and remove the chain and soak it in paraffin for a deep clean every 8 - 10 rides. My lube is thin, paraffin wax-based (T9).