MotoGP

SeaBee

Agreed to an extent. PI definitely with only a few low speed accelerations points but Sepang was definitely a big step. Even Marc said Vale's bike had good low speed acceleration which was their big problem. Valencia is not a good Yamaha track so lets see.

They have employed a proper electronics guy though in Michele Gadda, so the electronics are coming along. Just in time for the goalposts to shift again with the new 2019 rules

Some further insights here

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO it is officially over between Stoner and Ducati, again.

Seems the speed is still there as evidenced by him leading the Sepang day 1 test in 2017 but they weren't using his data it seems. Thats what he says anyway, no point in riding at the limit with all the risks involved and then for nought.

It does seem his shoulder injury is worse than was thought and it may be over for him and 250hp machines.

Just seems such a waste, Aprilia, Suzuki or KTM should snap him up now if they can but seems he may go back to Honda if Puig has his way. Don't see how that changes Marc not wanting him there back in 2013..........

Just seems such a waste, Aprilia, Suzuki or KTM should snap him up now if they can

BT Sport (where I watch motoGP) were speculating a few rounds ago about him moving to Suzuki or KTM (I can't remember which...) as a test pilot.  That would be awesome!  He might just be able to provide the insight to give them the little bump needed to get the to the top.  Would be great for the sport.

He should just let Adriana come and spend a few months in South Africa (In the East of Pretoria would be perfect) while he gets on with the business of racing bikes.

Hands off!! 

So I see Petrucci is again doing interviews moaning about how unfair it is that he is bigger in stature than the normal hobbit MotoGP pilots. Again harping on the combined motorcycle/rider weight thing.

Whats next, lowering of basketball hoops for short persons, or making the 100m only 50m if you have shorter legs.

Ridiculous!!!!!

So I see Petrucci is again doing interviews moaning about how unfair it is that he is bigger in stature than the normal hobbit MotoGP pilots. Again harping on the combined motorcycle/rider weight thing.

Whats next, lowering of basketball hoops for short persons, or making the 100m only 50m if you have shorter legs.

Ridiculous!!!!!

He should get an eBike

Ridiculous!!!!!

While I do agree with you. I do think these sub 60kg midgets do get a huge advantage, especially now with all the electronics taming the beast. Not unique though to bikes of course, F1 drivers are small, and so the list goes on. Rossi is tall and has made it work to a point, but he’s still at a disadvantage. The late Nicky Hayden left MotoGP because the Honda that was financially backed by Repsol from Spain was being build for Midget Pedrosa even although Nicky was the World Champ!

Sadly though this has translated into our real world products, I’m 6.2 and there is no hope in hell of me fitting on a new R1 or 1000RR, my knees are almost on the bars and through my chin.

While I do agree with you. I do think these sub 60kg midgets do get a huge advantage, especially now with all the electronics taming the beast. Not unique though to bikes of course, F1 drivers are small, and so the list goes on. Rossi is tall and has made it work to a point, but he’s still at a disadvantage. The late Nicky Hayden left MotoGP because the Honda that was financially backed by Repsol from Spain was being build for Midget Pedrosa even although Nicky was the World Champ!

Sadly though this has translated into our real world products, I’m 6.2 and there is no hope in hell of me fitting on a new R1 or 1000RR, my knees are almost on the bars and through my chin.

The driver/car weight limit has worked really well in F1. So well they are dropping it for 2019........

It has been said now for a few years but they should look at losening or dropping the fuel limit rule, will make for much more exciting racing, and the tyres will still be a limiting factor.

BTW, I think Nicky's problem wasn't his stature, it was his nationality in a Repsol (Spanish) team. 

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

The driver/car weight limit has worked really well in F1. So well they are dropping it for 2019........

It has been said now for a few years but they should look at losening or dropping the fuel limit rule, will make for much more exciting racing, and the tyres will still be a limiting factor.

BTW, I think Nicky's problem wasn't his stature, it was his nationality in a Repsol (Spanish) team. 

It was definitely that, but also I believe a drive thing. He seemed really not himself at times.

So the first day of testing is done and dusted and all I can say is 2019 should be some epic racing!!!!

It is early days and the guys are still finding their feet but already I seen the following:

• Lorenzo is looking a lot more comfortable on the Honda than many thought, me included.
  • The Yammies are on form, Morbidelli in 5th as a rookie on the bike for the first time just shows how much easier it is to ride.
  • The Suzuki and KTM look really good.
  • All of the rookies look good, maybe only Oliviera and Quatararo who are taking some time to find their feet.

Can't wait for day 2 to start, then the looooong wait till Feb for Sepang testing where it really starts to get serious!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

So the first day of testing is done and dusted and all I can say is 2019 should be some epic racing!!!!

It is early days and the guys are still finding their feet but already I seen the following:

• Lorenzo is looking a lot more comfortable on the Honda than many thought, me included.
  • The Yammies are on form, Morbidelli in 5th as a rookie on the bike for the first time just shows how much easier it is to ride.
  • The Suzuki and KTM look really good.
  • All of the rookies look good, maybe only Oliviera and Quatararo who are taking some time to find their feet.
Can't wait for day 2 to start, then the looooong wait till Feb for Sepang testing where it really starts to get serious!!!!!
I still find it odd that KTM and Ducati are mentioned in the same sentence. I still visualize KTM as this monster thumper ,like Husqavarna and Husaberg. Edited by Tromp